Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I have a HP Photosmart CS5180 which has developed a tendency to mix up pages in the output tray. The pages are printed in the correct order, however when they come out new pages are inserted at random into the stack of already printed pages. I put up with this when I was only printing 4 or 5 pages at a time - manually rearranging the pages was ok. However now I'm printing 50 pages, tidying up the output is a nightmare, especially when it's a document without page numbers (grr).

Anyone able to help with a small hack or workaround to ensure pages stack in the order they're printed?

Pic of printer below. Blank paper goes in front bottom tray. Printed pages emerge just above and is stacked on front upper tray.

HP+Photosmart+C5180.jpg

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I've never seen an HP do that and I've worked with many various models. It appears it's a mechanical defect not something you can overcome with a work around. Make sure the printer is clean and everything is in good working order is all I can think of.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I've never seen an HP do that and I've worked with many various models. It appears it's a mechanical defect not something you can overcome with a work around. Make sure the printer is clean and everything is in good working order is all I can think of.

Yes, it all works fine. I had a feel around in the output aperture, and as far as I can tell, there should be a small drop from the output so that the pages fall neatly onto the stack of previously printed pages. However that small drop seems to be gone, so now either the output mechanism is too low, or the stacking tray is too high.

Physically, everything seems to be bolted down and tight. I guess I'll have to do some dismantling and see if I can move one of these things.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Have you tried something simple like turning over the source paper stack in case there is a tendency to curl when heated. You might also try a different brand of paper and compare.

Of course, if there is a mechanical issue as you mentioned, this won't fix that. Does the whole paper tray assembly remove from the front ... and is it fully seated when inserted?

Sounds like this isn't a new printer .... but if so, I have seen several cases where one of the packing tape strips was overlooked and caused operational problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.