HP PSC 1610 All-in-One

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Qoxiivi, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Qoxiivi macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

How annoying is this? I got my new iMac a few days ago along with a bunch of other items - one of which is a printer (subject of thread). Upon unpacking aforementioned printer, I discovered all the components accounted for apart from what connects the f**king thing to a computer - a specific type of USB cable. Upon looking at the itinerary of what was included in the box I noticed an asterisk next to the picture of said cable:

*purchased separately

How nobby is that? I did, by chance, happen to have one of these cables - but only after hunting around and finding that it was the same type which connects my mum's PC to the broadband modem. :mad:

I'm very happy with the printer itself, I just think that's awful though; giving you everything apart from one measly cable which is essential printer's function.

Should I complain or is kind of thing accepted practice nowadays?

Qoxiivi

2. Atlasland macrumors 6502

Its actually accepted pratice nowadays. Don't ask me why... maybe they think most people have such USB cables lying around, maybe its just a way to extract more money from the consumer.

Anyway, I wouldn't bother complaining unless the listing did not make it clear that the cable needed to be bought separately.

3. sreedy macrumors 6502a

This happened to my dad and he got me down to set-up his printer and when he brought out the box I said "have you got the cable" and he said "there will be one in the box, won't there?".

He was quite annoyed when I explained and I found it surprising that the guy in the electrical store didn't mention it to him when he got it; especially when they normally try and sell you stuff you don't need/already have!

It's the accepted norm these days, I've noticed that with some on-line retailers adding the cable costs less than £1.....

4. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

This is way the make the money back on cheap printers the sell the USB cable for $25. Unfortunatly it seems to be becoming an acceptable practice.

5. Qoxiivi thread starter macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

Well, I think it stinks and am going to complain anyway; strike a blow for the common man and all that...

6. cgingrich macrumors regular

cgingrich

Acceptable indeed, I got the same printer as you with my new powerbook. I didn't even bother seeing if it came with a USB cable, I just went out and bought one before the printer arrived. Seems like most printers are not including USB cables nowadays