Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Point of fact: apple has never had a "dominant" market position with respect to any product category except MP3 players and (very briefly) tablets. Apple will not meet its "demise" if it holds only a 50%, or 25%, or 15% share of the tablet market. They have had a much lower % of the pc market for many years and done just fine.

Let's not forget that apple makes more profit than the entire rest of the industry in some of the product categories in which it competes. They will lose some market share because they refuse to race to the bottom, but if you think that's "demise," you have a strange understanding of that term.

I'd like to know how these other companies survive especially now with Microsoft and Google getting into the hardware space. There's not much they can do other than be the least expensive option. I guess they could try and out spec each other but many of the tech sites are even admitting that something like 1080p on a smartphone is overkill. And since it seems many Android fans prefer stock Android I don't see how applying a custom skin (ala Sense or TouchWiz) will be attractive. They'll just buy a Nexus instead.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
This is a perfect opportunity for Apple to really differentiate itself. And I don't think hardware is where they need to do it. It's software and services. I think Tim Cook knows this hence the org change last year.

Agreed... iOS is where the battle will be won for the most part... but I do think it's important to keep the hardware quality high for Apple.

Last night I was trying to show my in-laws some simple things to do with their new smart phones (and HTC and a LG) and they were far from refined as the iPhone. Even the touch screen response felt bad on both devices — not slow, just like it didn't know where my finger was??? Either way, it felt bad and felt cheap. Maybe I'm spoiled? :p

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
I've always had great luck with HP computers. Nice that they are leading the way with lower-cost tablets.

I can see these things on sale for $149, then eventually drop to $129 or even $99....

I'm guessing even lower than that by Christmas! :D

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Possibly QC which the Nexus 7 is pretty suspect. It took me 5-6 tries before I found a N7 without screen lift. And if the Slate 7 can come with 16GB for $169 it undercuts the N7.

Only problem is the N7 has a GPS, Accelerometer, Magnetometer, and a Gyroscope.

HP's not mentioning any of the above right now other than a back and forward camera. Maybe the lack of those is how it's cutting costs.

LeoNobilis

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2006
The Netherlands
Prudence isn't a particularly HP-specific quality

WebOS? TV? You mean, the most advanced mobile OS (I'm not talking availability of 3rd party software here) for a dying market (does anyone younger than 70 and older than 7 spend more than 5 hours a week watching TV)? Hmmm…
idiots at HP! They bought a jewel, practically destroyed it, and sold to LG… to make TVs of.

At this ridiculously misguided decision making rate HP won't survive another decennium.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I'd like to know how these other companies survive especially now with Microsoft and Google getting into the hardware space. There's not much they can do other than be the least expensive option. I guess they could try and out spec each other but many of the tech sites are even admitting that something like 1080p on a smartphone is overkill. And since it seems many Android fans prefer stock Android I don't see how applying a custom skin (ala Sense or TouchWiz) will be attractive. They'll just buy a Nexus instead.

I have no idea. I imagine that many of the smaller ones will not be in this product area in a couple more years. They are not making money at it and seem to have no plan to do so.

----------

and older than 7 spend more than 5 hours a week watching TV)? Hmmm…

Strangest comment I've seen here in some time. I think you *grossly* underestimate the amount of tv America watches.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
It took a lot of digging but I found these two stats of interest:

1024 x 600 is the resolution
8 GB is how much memory is built in for $169.

It's running Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) so it's at least one version old already (4.2 - Key Lime Pie has already been released.)
4.2 is only available on Google's devices at this time. The best you are going to see outside is 4.1.

HP back on the tablet market? It really does feel a little half hearted, again.

Obi-Wan Kubrick

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2007
I think the 169 screen looks weird on tablets. I'm not sure how Apple will be able to make a 16x9 iPad look good. I also would rather see HP selling a tablet that runs Windows 8 or is WIndows the only one that makes Windows tablets?

karter16

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Also a mate pointed out to me that the original HP TouchPad had "Beats Technology" built into it as well, so in fact this isn't the first slate to have that "technology"...

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
I have no idea. I imagine that many of the smaller ones will not be in this product area in a couple more years. They are not making money at it and seem to have no plan to do so.

----------

Strangest comment I've seen here in some time. I think you *grossly* underestimate the amount of tv America watches.
yea...I think he does too. With all those TV shows (not saying they're all good, I don't think they are) on right now, it seems like that is everything what Americans do.

I will say I am gladly to admit I'm not one of them. Even when I go to a house that has like hundreds of channels I just find myself going through them and never even watching anything. I am glad I never got into being addicted to watching hours of TV. Though that is made up with spending hours upon hours on the computer, though luckily that seems to be productive time programming.

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
HP should license palm's graffiti IP. That worked better 20 years ago, and much faster than any actual handwriting recognition system does now. Easier to teach people a new writing code than make software adapt to people.

I just hope HP is sufficiently hungry... it would be great if they licensed it than kept it to their own small tablet market (which they don't even seem to be doing... this is just another low end tablet with no distinguishing features).

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
Dateline: August 25, 2013

In a move shocking no one, HP has pulled the plug on their Android-based Slate tablet devices in order to focus on engineered chicken, space travel and related services.

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
"and we want to be the number one computer vendor in the world"

Trading your own unique and promising platform for Android? Yes, you definitely will be the number one. So stupid...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.