HP Releases Classic Calculator iPhone Apps

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 26, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Macworld reports on Hewlett Packard's recent release of two iPhone app versions of classic HP calculators, the HP 12C Financial Calculator [App Store, $14.99] and the HP 15C Scientific Calculator [App Store, $29.99]. HP is reportedly also working on an iPhone version of its 12C Platinum calculator, which is expected to be released in early August and priced at $19.99.

While the price points may seem high to some users, the calculator apps offer significant feature sets at prices considerably lower that the corresponding hardware calculators.
    Several third parties have previously released their own calculator applications emulating the HP classic calculators, but HP's willingness to undertake its own project helps demonstrate that even large companies are seeing opportunities for their products to make their way onto the iPhone.

Article Link: HP Releases Classic Calculator iPhone Apps
  2. macrumors 65816

Jul 28, 2008
    Jacksonville, Fla
  3. macrumors 6502a

Oct 26, 2008
    Riverside, California
  4. macrumors member

Aug 7, 2008

C'mon HP let's get some of the graphing calculators like either the 48GX or 49G. If we were able to transfer programs directly from the computer to the calculator memory, how awesome would that be?
  5. macrumors 6502

Sep 26, 2007
    the price!!!...... first why would you make a classic looking calculator app and how can they charge that amount! crazy...
  6. macrumors member

Aron Peterson

May 27, 2008
    Kaufman TX, NY and England
    Oh great prices. Do they think they're distributing boxed hardware to millions of stores or something?

The ONLY iPhone app that would get that much money from me is a bug free Commodore 64/PSX/N64/Dreamcast emulator with games.
  7. macrumors newbie

Jun 18, 2008
  8. macrumors 6502

Oct 29, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Um...why? Good to see HP focusing on pointless iPhone apps rather than working on things that actually need to be done (ahem, computer quality/printer quality, for instance).
  9. Guest

Jun 2, 2008
    HP ON THE iPhone!!!! OMG!!!!

Next APP`s to come out!!!!

1. Dell with a Shares APP

2. Micro$oft with a famous quotes APP from Steve Ballmer (inc. bonus developers video) :eek:

No seriously!!! got to give it to HP to bring this out!! MANY people will find this perfect!!! at least they have the B***S to admit the iPhone is a great platform.

Just changed my views of HP. :rolleyes: :apple:

Pricey BUT!!! we are paying for the functions!!! lets face it the Apple calculator REALLY SUCKS!!! and the retro look is worth EVERY PENNY!!!! CENT!!!! EURO!!! etc. etc.
  10. macrumors 604

Dec 31, 2004
    "No escape from Reality..."
    Yeah, but have you seen how much the REAL ONES go for? :eek:

Highly collectible as well...
  11. macrumors 65816

Jun 4, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    I'd go crazy if they *didn't* make it look like the classic HP calculators. The 12C looks like a probable buy for me.
  12. macrumors 6502

Dec 22, 2007
    Jesus farkin' Christ... I just checked up the 15c on eBay... one was going for just over $150!!!
  13. macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Microsoft already has at least 2 apps on the app store (Seadragon and Tag Reader.)
  14. macrumors G3

Apr 6, 2007
    Portland, OR
    I'd pay $50-$70 for a TI-84 emulator; but a $30 nostalgia app? No way.
  15. Guest

Jun 2, 2008

IT IS A SAD SAD DAY!!!! to know Micro$oft has iPhone APPs :eek:

(quickly checking out iTunes store to see if it is true!!!!) hehehe
  16. macrumors regular

Nov 14, 2008
    I would love a 48 graphing version, and would pay $30 for it, heck may pay $45, far cheaper than replacing my 19 year old 48sx that is on its last legs, and far smaller in size :)

When it comes to loyalty, for some of us the HP calculators are just like Apple Macs and iPhones.
  17. macrumors 6502a

Mar 13, 2004
    A little under half the price of the real one and I can't even use it on standardized tests. No thanks.
  18. macrumors 65816

Feb 27, 2007
    I have 2 of the classic calculators, 10B and 17B II - both business calculators and the particular versions I have are no longer made. They were quite expensive when they were new but have provided me with years of great service. I'd never part with them. I wish HP would make a calculator app for these. I've carried them to every job I've had for the last 15 years.
  19. macrumors regular

Nov 1, 2002
    The Desert
    I still have and use a 32 S; I could see paying $14.99 for the 15 C, but not $30!
  20. macrumors 68000

Jan 27, 2007
    This is just like Namco charging $10 for PacMan. HP recouped their R&D money on these calculators 30-40 years ago. How about adding some extra value to take advantage of the iPhone experience instead of just gouging.
  21. macrumors 68000

Dec 30, 2001
    The SimCity Deli
  22. macrumors 6502a

Aug 18, 2005
    I would really like to see the 16C as an app. It was the only (dedicated) programmer's calculator they ever made.

There is, however, actually a free app out there that already emulates the 16C (very well so) but it requires jailbreak. It was actually already out before the app store was ever announced :)

But if there was an official HP version I might use it instead.
  23. macrumors newbie

Jun 26, 2009
  24. macrumors member

Mar 23, 2006
    HP 15c, one of the best RPN calcs ever made. I still have mine from school in the mid '80's. Still works like a charm.
  25. macrumors 65816

Nov 26, 2008
    California, USA
    Awesome for HP. Although the iPhone comes with a calculator, if an individual is used to using a specific layout of calculator, then they would want the same version on their phone. As a scientist/engineer myself, having an unfamiliar layout can slow speed by half, and this impacts productivity big time. It is necessary to have a layout that the individual is familiar with.

I'm sure school kids would buy the graphing calculator or if HP or Texas Instruments began offering the TI-83 ... except, teachers will probably not allow the iPhone during an exam. So, in the end students will probably need to have a separate HP graphing calculator.

BUT, for those of us that are no longer in school, this would be an excellent App. :):):)
    I use the scientific calculator that comes on the iPhone (landscape) all the time.
    It's extremely valuable to always be able to whip out a scientific calculator. :D
    Fortunately for me, the iPhone calculator is similar enough to the TI-30 that I don't need a separate App. However, I would be willing to pay $50 for a TI-Voyage200 graphing calculator App!!!!