HP Scanjet Drivers Seem to Take Over CPU

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jamesmcnee, Jan 24, 2007.

1. jamesmcnee macrumors newbie

iMac G5 ... OS X 10.4.8 ... HP Scanjet 4670

Something doesn't like something else.

A few months ago I upgraded my OS and had to download new drivers for my HP Scanjet 4670.

Now I see by the Activity Monitor that the HP Scanjet Manager.app hogs my CPU -- when I start up and look at the Activity Monitor the CPU usage will be 100% with the HP app taking 70, 80 or 90%. I quit the application through the Monitor and things drop down to small %.

I don't launch the scanning software -- this application seems to launch and run in the background. I removed any HP items from my preferences folder but still. I uninstalled and reinstalled the HP drivers and same result.

I contacted HP and they said they had never encountered this problem (I didn't say anything about pants and fire). Of course Apple blames HP.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

this has been a well-documented problem for quite a while now, thought they would have fixed it already.

Have you tried the open-source drivers from Guten-print (www.sourceforge.net) ? I use them for some print jobs on my Epson 1280 that require more precise controls than the standard Epson/OS X drivers and they work great, although there is a learning curve involved :eek: