HP software prob

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mkaake, Jun 26, 2004.

1. mkaake macrumors 65816

Apr 10, 2003
    Starters: I use the HP 1210xi AIO (all in one) scan/copy/print dealio.

Problem is this:

When I switched back to X in April (which was a great thing) I just plugged the printer in and went with it. No problems at all. Built in X drivers handled it like a champ.
    A few days ago though, I wanted to scan something, and had to download the HP software to do it. Didn't mind too much, but now I've got a few problems.
    1) the dumb thing starts up and places itself in my dock (not just as a running program, but it actually puts itself in my dock) everytime i start up. i don't see anything in my startup folder. very annoying.

2) it's been eating up all of my available CPU! today, things were moving a little sluggish, so I opened the activity monitor to see if it was ram or CPU - and wouldn't you know it, between myself and my wife (who forgot to log out), the HP communications center was eating up every last ounce of CPU. once I force quit her instance of it, mine shot up to over 50% CPU.

so my question is, does anyone have experience with this? I'm not sure what all I need to delete so that I can maintain the ability to scan (also, w/o it putting it into its stupid pic manager program), but use the standard OS X drivers for printing. this is crazy annoying, and i'd love to be able to continue using it like before, w/o having to just never use it for scanning again.

any thoughts?

emac 1.0 256 megs, 10.3.4

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    My mom has this printer. The drivers are the most horrible pieces of junk I've ever seen. There is a way to remove the program from the Dock, but I don't remember how I did it. Just go through all the programs it installs (there's a lot!) and poke around. I also notice frequently a program is launched in the Dock. It appears and dissapears immediatly. It drives me nuts. It appears and dissapears so quickly I can't see the icon or find out the name. I know it's from the HP software because when I uninstall it, it goes away.

On the bright side, it is a good multifunction unit, and it very inexpensive. I would have bought one for myself if it wasn't for that ghost program in the Dock.