HP to expand desktop Linux

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Mar 24, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 6502

Maybe this isn't as big a deal as I think it is, but I am excited about HP moving toward Linux and about their selling the hPod and putting iTMS icon on the desktop of their PC's. I like that they are not relying completely on MS. I would be happy if any manufacturer/distributor was doing this, but it is even nicer because it is HP, and they reach a lot of people.

Now if only Dell would do the same thing...

3. Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

I wonder if there will be a Linux port for iTunes now, with a major distributor trying to push Linux in the mainstream.

(just for the record, I doubt it, but who knows)

4. macrumors 6502a

macridah

I hope this doesn't cut into Apple market share. I really think people should be switching to Mac's instead of Linux.

Well, I guess I would have to support anything that challenges M$

5. macrumors member

boomtopper

HP and Linux

I think its great that HP is doing this.
    It is a pity though that they are only doing it in asia, i would like them to start building commercial linux desktop machines in our part of the world.
    I do think that in a couple of years if a linux distro gets it right for normal desktop usage linux could be massive.

6. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

They're expanding. They're changing from Asia only (using Turbolinux) to worldwide (using Novell SuSE, which I think is the best one).