HP to Sell Linux-based PCs?

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Mar 16, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 65816

Photorun

Woot! Rockin'! I feel a momentum slide away from Microsuck! Wow... pinch me, I'm dreaming! Pretty soon it'll just be that little close-eyed d*** Michael Dull and his lackluster wear supporting M$! :D

3. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

WOOOW! HP! selling Linux based PCs to the HUGE Chinese market, that has to start hitting Microsoft in the pocket. Look out for Microsofts sales and revenue to continue to slide and sharevalue to start dropping in the not to distant future as reports of their earnings start to drop!

4. macrumors regular

Looks like HP is definitely coming around. :) But don't expect M$ to sit idly by. The dirt is really going to fly now.

5. macrumors 65816

1macker1

Linux isn't ready for widespread consumer use.

6. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Naturally, they're using Mandrake, the worst mainstream distro out there :(

Edit: Now that I've actually read the article, I see that they're talking about Asia. They're using Turbolinux in Asia.

7. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

If Apple ported iTunes to Linux they could continue to increase market share care of HP.

8. macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Dell already sells PCs with no operating system..... Mind you, they don't have linux, but atleast there's no MS on them.

9. macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

whats wrong with Mandrake Linux granted its not great but its still better than slapping MS Stickers all over the pc case :D

10. macrumors newbie

hp linux... hp ipod... hp ipod and itunes running on linux?

With this "new" (kinda oldish now) deal with apple making an HP branded iPod wouldn't it make since that if HP switches to Linux Apple will design a version of iTunes and the ITMS for Linux? That would make this partnership a win win win win situation for Apple and HP. HP gets the best music player with its name engraved on it. Apple gets HP's large user base to get its name out and creates Linux support for iTunes and iTms, thus creating an even LARGER possible user base for ITMS and establishing AAC as standuard. (Because you know that Microsoft wouldn't likely design a music program for Linux)

Sorry for any spelling or grammer mistakes I have never been a gifted writer ;) :D

11. macrumors regular

Well done! Our long struggle is beginning to make headway. Next I would like to see HP pre-installing OpenOffice on both their Linux and Wintel boxes. With HP holding around 30% of the global market, this could start the avalanche. It's a two-front contest, and progress on either side supports the other and brings us closer to freedom.

12. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Huh?

HP have been offering Compaq PCs with Linux installed for some time now...

13. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Correct, but they haven't really been promoting them - unless you specifically knew about them, you wouldn't be able to tell.