Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by the_dalex
Hmmm, I suppose Microsoft would want the iPod to play WMA, because their control of the format means they will be collecting royalties from every non-Apple online store for each song sold... and one royalty per iPod. They just wouldn't be the market leader, and I know ultra-competitive Bill's ears are steaming at that very thought. They will make bad business decisions just so they can "win" something.

Wow, a win/win situation in my book... anyone else know why Apple would not want to support WMA at this point in the game? One or two years earlier and I would understand, but the time is ripe.

Almost ripe. Wait until one of the WMA stores fail and then welcome the users with open arms. (Yes, I know their purchased music will probably not transfer over but their WMA libraries could)

fatfish

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2003
Poulton-le-Fylde, UK
From a marketing perspective, there are good reasons to play WMA, because that would pull Microsoft's last rug out from under them. If I were SJ, and if I wanted to stick it to Microsoft in the music world I would...

Good job your not SJ then, he obviosly believes as I do that M$ should not have another monopoly, this time they don't and won't if things stay as they are.

splashman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
HP will sell older models?

Originally posted by Plissken
the HP "iPod" is not coming until june and it will be the same as the current 3G iPods which makes it seem to me that by June Apple will have a new revision out for sure leaving HP to sell the older tech for a little bit less. make sense to everybody else?

I highly doubt HP will accept "older tech", and I don't think Apple will offer it.

Given that HP won't be releasing their player until June, I think it's a safe assumption that Carly was holding a mockup, not a production model. In June, HP will be selling the latest -- the 4G, we'll call it. If Apple sold 3Gs to HP, they'd have to be cheaper than the 4Gs, and Apple would never do that -- it would completely f*** up their already-tricky marketing strategy.

That's my opinion, anyway.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by Snowy_River
Very interesting. However, I must point out that their accounting department needs to look at their web site. If I buy a 40GB iPod for $499, then pay them to apply a color coating to it, say 'Carbon', for $49, I'll spend a total of $548. Now, if I buy a Carbon iPod from them, I now have to pay $565. Where does that extra $17 come from?

Convenience of not having to send your new iPod to them and wait for it to be painted and returned?

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Originally posted by Maclarny
Hmmm...now that I tihnk about this new HP iPod I have some concerns. Doesn't this seem a lot like when apple started liscensing it's own OS to ther companies. Could Apple be pitching off a really good product only to have their own profits get sucked away?

Apple obviously feels the channels are distinct. I tend to agree.

But wouldn't it be funny if the HPpod and the APpod were sold side by side in Wal-Mart and best Buyand Apple sold more?

Rocketman

balconycollapse

Cancelled
Aug 7, 2003
I think this is a smart move! One thing i notice is almost all the wintel makers have all over their site suggestions to include a DJ or Gateway music player with your next order and if you go to the customize computer portion when ordering from Apple the iPod is there as a companion upgrade. I think ideally what HP would like to do is sell nearly everyone of their computers with an H Pod included. Maybe take a loss even, or find someway to make it affordable. People would choose HP everytime thinking they get a "free iPod" over Dell. I've seen Gateway start doing this with out of date cameras. Personal electronics shipping together with a computer is going to become more and more commonplace. Its come to the point where the machine is good enough but its lacking if you don't have the right peripherals like a camera, iPod, DV cam right away. I'd even go so far in expecting to see Apple create some sort of new iMac that ships with an iPod and the dock is built into the computer making it seem more like a portable harddrive as well. The fact that people will start carrying personal data storage around or be able to take their iPod to and from work with the at home on ipod feature.

J-Squire

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2003
Australia
Re: itunes worldwide

Originally posted by fatfish

Gee, M$ and Dell seem genuinly worried, have you seen their childish reactions to the news.

No....can you give some links to this information....?

beg_ne

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by rdowns
Almost ripe. Wait until one of the WMA stores fail and then welcome the users with open arms. (Yes, I know their purchased music will probably not transfer over but their WMA libraries could)

Supporting WM is a bad idea period, why should apple reward people trying to use such a pathetic pseudo-standard as WMA?

iTunes is the #1 music store and iPod the #1 player why bend to the will of MS and hurt the AAC standard?

Fact is MS at any time could make their next codec incompatible with anything but Longhorn, drop all support for WMP on Mac(like they did with IE) and leverage more users to their platforms and formats. Their goal is to do with WM and audio/video codecs what they did with IE and the web.

If everyone providing content is using WM then we as users will be under MS's thumb for everything we will see and hear(this just won't apply to computers either with MS trying to worm their way into the living room).

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2002
i think the hp ipod looks to be just a little bit under the weather.

it looks kinda... sad. like depressed. it makes me a little down seeing an ipod like that.

r.

pyro

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2003
Instead of making support for ****ty little wma files how about flac, shn, or ape?

If they made the iPod and iTunes compatable with some of those files (preferably flac and/or shn) then they'd have nearly the entire bootleger community on their side.

fatfish

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2003
Poulton-le-Fylde, UK
Re: Re: itunes worldwide

Originally posted by J-Squire
No....can you give some links to this information....?

Gee, you ask some questionsd at 1.30 in the morning.

I saw the article about 5 hours ago, so I'm not sure where it came from, but I will have a look.

But basically they seemed suprised by the news and said it was a bad move because it denied the people a choice. Sounded to me as though they were conceding market position on this one.

tazznb

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
New Jersey
It's off to war....

Originally posted by Maclarny
Hmmm...now that I tihnk about this new HP iPod I have some concerns. Doesn't this seem a lot like when apple started liscensing it's own OS to ther companies. Could Apple be pitching off a really good product only to have their own profits get sucked away?

This may be the only way to take on the juggernaut formerly known as Microsoft.

diniscorreia

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Portugal
Re: HP will sell older models?

Originally posted by splashman
I highly doubt HP will accept "older tech", and I don't think Apple will offer it.

Given that HP won't be releasing their player until June, I think it's a safe assumption that Carly was holding a mockup, not a production model. In June, HP will be selling the latest -- the 4G, we'll call it. If Apple sold 3Gs to HP, they'd have to be cheaper than the 4Gs, and Apple would never do that -- it would completely f*** up their already-tricky marketing strategy..

I don't think so: Apple needs to "stay ahead".

Besides, Schiller said that it would have the design and features as Apple's third-generation iPod players.

pkradd

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2001
As is usual with web photos, it's difficult to really discern the actual color. You'd think posters here would understand that by now. The color will look nicer in person (just as the iPod looks better in person then in photographs). HP will be selling the "Digital Music Player" in 110,000 stores around the world as well as their website. As far as booting with an Apple logo what's the problem? Computers almost all say "Intel Inside" even though they're HP or Gateway or Dell. Why are people so concerned about trivial things around here. Must be a slow day for some.

Also this is not a licensing deal that killed Apple in the past. When they licensed the operating system and architecture, other computer makers UNDERSOLD Apple compatible products. This won't happen with this deal. Apple is selling finished Digital Music Players to HP and placing the already available iTunes/iTMS for Windows on the HP computers. Sweet deal. Apple has COMPLETE control of quality and distribution of the software and hardware it will be providing HP.

Booga

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2002
Windows Media isn't going away. Microsoft is working with DVD manufacturers to get the de-facto "HD-DVD" format to *BE* the Windows Media video format. And they're succeeding. The Terminator 3 DVD, for example, contains the movie in both formats-- DVD for "low" quality 480p and Windows Media for HD quality.

MPEG4 video and audio, despite having a large market share in the legal music downloads market right now, are very much the underdogs. I understand Apple is fighting a good fight, but I hope if it comes down to it they know when to conceed and keep making money this time.

flipperfeet

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2003
Santa Cruz, CA
Re: Re: WMA on iPod

Originally posted by the_dalex
From a marketing perspective, there are good reasons to play WMA, because that would pull Microsoft's last rug out from under them. If I were SJ, and if I wanted to stick it to Microsoft in the music world I would...

1) Build up the iPod into the most popular music player (done)

2) Build up the ITMS into the most popular online music store (done)

3) Let them criticize the only "flaw" being that it doesn't play Microsoft's proprietary format (done)

4) Suddenly allow the iPod to play WMA via a firmware update, in a final death blow (pending?)

When I look at the business model Apple has chosen, I don't see why this wouldn't work. We all are aware that the ITMS breaks even or at best makes a small profit, and the money is in the iPods. You don't want to sell music in WMA format, because you want the iPods to sell... but why not let the iPod play WMA? The only thing I can think of is that Microsoft would want a royalty or licensing fee, but if Apple came to them now, Microsoft can't deny them or gouge them without being dragged into court after their statements about "choice" being so important. Plus, I imagine if you just want a license to decode instead of encode, it wouldn't cost much.

I personally believe that the ITMS is the best music store out there, and I know SJ agrees. Let customers try them all with their iPod, and they will use the best service (or a combination of them all), but the important thing is...they have an iPod.

Now is the perfect time for the death blow, with the upcoming Pepsi promotion and the new HP crossover. Apple can completely take over the market by opening the iPod to WMA, and Microsoft has basically challenged them to so they can't get in the way. Microsoft's predictable behavior has them in a real pickle, but they've walked themselves into a trap.

Apple has already proven it does not need WMA to reach market dominance, HP appears to agree with Apple. Adding WMA now does not deliver a death blow to M$, it knocks the wind out of iPod and iTunes Store sails (pun intended). HP making iTunes their de facto jukebox/music app. and possibly picking up a commission for each download sends the message to M$, Sony and every other manufacturer that they better reconsider the AAC standard if they want access to 70% of the legal download market.

We must not forget the problem prior to iTunes Store was bringing the content providers together, not a standardization around an encoding format. Apple's success is more attributable to this triumph than seamlessly bringing the Store and iPod together. Adding WMA compatibility opens up huge libraries of illegal content and puts Apple and HP at odds with the content providers. AAC is a walled garden that assures the big six their content is relatively safe.

Rather than looking for Apple to enable WMA on the iPod/hPod and opening themselves up to competition from cheap WMA players, we should be watching for Korean and Japanese manufactures to take a page from HP's playbook and add AAC compatibility to their products. (Given Sony's stubborn love of proprietary formats, I am betting Samsung, Matsu****a or Sharp make the move first.)

Steve & Co. keep mentioning "we are getting closer to that magic number." Its magic not only because it represents market parity with the traditional CDs business, in all likelihood it is magic because it represents substantial profits, rather than just content to drive the sell of hardware.

Once this happens, the dynamics swing dramatically and instead of cheap music driving the sells of hardware, cheap hardware fosters the sells of content.

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
Well i see this as great news Apple gets cash of hp for the iPod apple then gets cash of us for using iTunes ....

OF COURSE THEY NEED TO BLOODY HAVE THIS WORLD WIDE!!!! Weres the deals and the new world wide iTunes stores .. Australia is awaiting here lol :)

hokka

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2003
Sydney
Originally posted by Sabenth
Well i see this as great news Apple gets cash of hp for the iPod apple then gets cash of us for using iTunes ....

OF COURSE THEY NEED TO BLOODY HAVE THIS WORLD WIDE!!!! Weres the deals and the new world wide iTunes stores .. Australia is awaiting here lol :)

Don't worry champ, SMH stated (do a search on MacRumors) iTMS will be here in the first quarter of 2004 (not too long at all mate! can't wait!)

flipperfeet

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2003
Santa Cruz, CA
Originally posted by Sabenth

Word! I have got around this by registering via a family member's address in the US in order to download files here in Japan.

fatfish

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2003
Poulton-le-Fylde, UK
Originally posted by Booga
Windows Media isn't going away. Microsoft is working with DVD manufacturers to get the de-facto "HD-DVD" format to *BE* the Windows Media video format. And they're succeeding. The Terminator 3 DVD, for example, contains the movie in both formats-- DVD for "low" quality 480p and Windows Media for HD quality.

MPEG4 video and audio, despite having a large market share in the legal music downloads market right now, are very much the underdogs. I understand Apple is fighting a good fight, but I hope if it comes down to it they know when to conceed and keep making money this time.

Forgive me but one terminator DVD doesn't sound like suceeding to me, I'm not really sure I understand what you're saying. MPEG4 for is not in my understanding a codec to replace MPEG2 on DVD's, it's more for web use and low capacity storage.

Are you trying to say that we are going to see all DVD's be made in WMA and all our DVD players become obsolete. Personally, I believe if there is a move from the current MPEG2 format it will be for less compression not more, especially with the advent of larger storage media and cheaper and faster processors.

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
It is probably stating the obvious, but Apple are pretty good at product differentiation. HP will be bundling last year's news to the masses, and Apple will move the mini and 3G iPods ever upwards, so even if there were iPods and HPods side by side in stores, (which probably wont happen unless HPods are accompanied by an HP computer), there would be no conflict of interest between very different models. Win win.

I was also thinking, its all very well saying AAC needs to be the standard in place of a WMA monopoly, but if Apple keep hold of Fairplay, they will eventually be accused of restrictive practices - even if the iTunes offering is genuinely good for most customers. However, once the iPod has become the de facto MP3 set up and rumblings in Govt take a hold SJ has the option up his sleeve to make Fairplay available for license . Ahead of the game, he suddenly sells cheapo DRM licenses to anyone who fancies their chances against the iPod.

It seems to me that finally, Apple is first in the queue with a product and a strong and aggressive strategy to keep them there. Its not like they give customers what they dont want. and pro Apple alliances with seriously big businesses means Apple's market share in music should be really solid and formidable . SJ has come of age.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
This is nothing more than Excellent.

HP will be selling iPods and the iTMS (rebanded)

What could be better - the more iPods the better.

Given the premise that Apple uses iTMS to sell iPods - what would you prefer - more iTMS sold, which doesn't make a profit or more iPods sold - which does.

Apple obviously see it attraactive to allow rebranded iPods...

avus

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2002
Originally posted by flipperfeet
Word! I have got around this by registering via a family member's address in the US in order to download files here in Japan.

You should keep doing that if you like to listen to what is available in iTMS US, because iTMS Japan will feature a completely different set of music and musicians for an obvious reason (catering the Japanese market, that is).

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
Originally posted by eric_n_dfw
Um - let's not get too high and mighty here. HP's PC's may be a dime-a-dozen, but they have been inovators in a lot of markets since 1939 (and a garage start-up just like Apple)

If you have to choose a Pee-Cee maker as a partner, they're not a bad choice:

As a stock-holder, I say, "Bravo!"

Absolutely, Carly has looked at all her options when it comes to the online music down load market and seen that Apple is HPs best option to partner with since going it alone against Apple would be pointless. This way HP gets revenue from a globaly recognised product supplied by another company who are not necessarily a competitor interms of personal computers. Apple gets its iTunes player installed by default on every PC that HP sells all around the world. Most no tech savy consumers probably dont always care what media player they have on their computer as long as they can play their CDs on it. All of this is going to bring market share/mind share to Apple in a big way for 2004.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.