HSN Dell Promo

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dpaanlka, Feb 27, 2006.

1. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

They were trying to sell Dells on HSN last night. Me and my roomate were watching it to get good laughs.

Here are some things I learned:

• The hard drive is the "brain" of the computer.
    • More RAM literally makes your computer process tasks faster.
    • 2 inches is incredibly thin.
    • 7 lbs is classfied as an "ultralight".
    • Emails are Icons (???).
    • A DVD/CD-RW combo drive is an extremely awesome feature that is unheard of in laptops costing less than $3000.
    • Watching a movie on an Airplane means your not a businessman.
    • The Centrino M is an outrageously high performance processor.
    • "M" in Centrino M means its the best processor for "mobile technologies".
    • The battery runs longer because the processor runs cooler.
    • 60gb is an tremendously mind blowing hard drive capacity.
    • Random Access Memory means you can do random things without impacting performance. This is a "feature" of this particular Dell laptop.
    • 60gb can only hold 3 hours of video (no matter what format), but is plenty of space for 90,000 hours of music.
    • You cannot play games unless you have any unspecified 64mb Mobility Radeon card.

Amazingly, this entire 15 minute promo did not make a single mention of any wireless capabilities.

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

3. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

It was definetely Dell and I'm pretty sure it was on HSN. We watch HSN often to see such nonsense. Just before the Dell they were pushing silly little flashlights. This crazy lady was walking around with this flashligh in the dark all over the set it looked ridiculous. She even said "this would be great if you were trying to install a DVD player and other equipment back here!"... shutting off the lights and installing a home entertainment center via flashlight??? Perhaps it's a new thing? I don't even know what channel QVC is on.

I don't think their web site 100% necessarily corresponds to what they show on TV.

4. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Woops.. just noticed that QVC is the very next channel. Maybe it was QVC. Oh well the comical part still applies.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, close. The 'M' stands for "Mobile", IIRC.
    True, but a bit simplistic. The processor is cooler because it draws less power, hence the battery would, all else being equal, last longer.

The rest was pretty funny.