Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
It's not a trend until either Google or Samsung do it, maybe LG. The Moto Z and this HTC rumored device barely register.

But I agree, the headphone jack is soon to be on the endangered species list. My guess is within another 2 years, won't see it on many devices.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Lol at that article. Using their reasoning for this headline that they can't see the top or bottom bezels to confirm headphone jack, they report this as possible confirmation it doesn't have one.

By the same logic they used to elude to that they could have also posted HTC BOLT does not come with a charging port ...

Judging by how much that device looks identical to a HTC 10 I think there's a greater chance it will come with one on the top of the device.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Thats a nice looking phone but if the headphone jack its gone at least Android phones will not get locked using a proprietary cable or adapters, just a usb-c

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Thats a nice looking phone but if the headphone jack its gone at least Android phones will not get locked using a proprietary cable or adapters, just a usb-c
No one is going to get locked into anything proprietary, honestly. It's all going to be bluetooth.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Apple is not getting good press or blog posts about the headphone jack removal. When they do try to put a positive spin on the whole thing, the writer practically has to twist themselves into a pretzel to sell the idea.

I wonder how the manufacturers who currently have new wired headphones they are selling feel about Apple trying to spearhead this "3.5 is useless antiquated technology" movement. The past few years they could comfortably sell their wireless and their wired inventory and customers could comfortably take their pick.

Now Apple is trying to cast a pall on the wired market just because they are that 500 pound gorilla. I'm wondering if there will be any kind of industry backlash. And if so, could it possibly be effective with so many Apple customers in lockstep with every single decision and declaration Apple makes.

I'm more or less resigned to the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus not having headphone jacks. I'm not going to annoy this entire forum by going in to the Apple parts of the forum and continuing to make an issue of it. But that doesn't mean I want to see every smartphone manufacturer blindly following Apple. Especially when USB-C still needs to be sorted out and we've got phones from different brands not being able to use each other's chargers. And Bluetooth in my experience still needs work, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.