Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

Very interesting. Sounds like HTC will focus on VR.

Should Google buy HTC to continue building Pixel devices? It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure. The Pixel is unprecedented in its own way; not sure what Google has planned for the Pixel 2. I posed this question in the Nexus/Pixel thread: will Google be working with other manufacturers each year as they did with the Nexus program? Or do they do something like this, buy HTC and have HTC be the committed manufacturer?

If I had to bet, I don't think Google will buy HTC.

And it's sad to see HTC get to this state. It's been a long time coming though.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Very interesting. Sounds like HTC will focus on VR.

Should Google buy HTC to continue building Pixel devices? It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure. The Pixel is unprecedented in its own way; not sure what Google has planned for the Pixel 2. I posed this question in the Nexus/Pixel thread: will Google be working with other manufacturers each year as they did with the Nexus program? Or do they do something like this, buy HTC and have HTC be the committed manufacturer?

If I had to bet, I don't think Google will buy HTC.

And it's sad to see HTC get to this state. It's been a long time coming though.
I am not so sure they will either. But as great as the Pixel phone is and with the financial trouble HTC has....it would seem like a great chance for Google to get into the hardware end. This would allow them to showcase exactly what their vision is for their operating system.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Does anyone remember this from earlier in the year? It was rumored (but never confirmed) that HTC signed a deal with Google to manufacture their phones for the next three years. In hindsight, now that we see the Google Pixel, that rumor makes a whole lot of sense.

Here's an article:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/htc-three-year-nexus-deal-news/

But what it doesn't explain is HTC selling off their phone business. Hmm...
[doublepost=1479759371][/doublepost]Apple makes their own hardware. Microsoft now makes their own hardware. There's just one giant left not making it's own hardware on a mass scale (save for the new Pixel), and that is Google.

EDIT -- Google IS making their own hardware now with the Google Home, Pixel, etc. What remains to be seen is if it is a continued effort or a one-off ordeal.

JunBringer

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2014
It'd be a shame if it just got dissolved or something. I loved my Evo 4G, 3D, One Max and even the Htc 10 was dope.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
....it would seem like a great chance for Google to get into the hardware end [again]. This would allow them to showcase exactly what their vision is for their operating system.

I fixed it for you. Google was in the smartphone business once already. They bought Motorola and then later sold Motorola to Lenovo minus the patent portfolio.

I don't see Google getting back into smartphone hardware. There is no money in it at this point and it will just antagonize the other Android OEM's.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I can't see google buying them tbh. After all they already did that with Moto and then ditched it. Google want the control of manufacturing and development, without the 'responsibility & cost' of that. Buying HTC's phone side would be counter intuitive to that.

If HTC sell off it's phone business, Google will just look for someone else to do the manufacturing whilst they control design. I see them just going straight to FoxConn.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
What a shame. I love my HTC 10. It's such a solid performer and I'm shocked at how good the camera is. I am fine keeping it unchanged on Marshmallow. I hope I can run it trouble free for many years to come just as an iPod and camera, once I'm done with using it as a smart phone.

At any rate I am very glad I gave it a chance. It's nice to expand beyond Apple and Samsung so I get a wider perspective and can better judge where the main contenders excel and where they fall short of how much better they could be.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
At any rate I am very glad I gave it a chance. It's nice to expand beyond Apple and Samsung so I get a wider perspective and can better judge where the main contenders excel and where they fall short of how much better they could be.

100% this. Well said. Only when you try the competition's advantages and strengths do you really recognize the shortcomings of others, particularly of the big players.

It's a real shame about HTC, but they deny they're trying to sell their mobile division... so who knows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.