HTC Hero or iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by noriyori, Oct 4, 2010.

1. macrumors member

I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of getting either an HTC Hero or an iPod Touch. I like the camera and all the apps of the touch but not sure if face time will actually be worth while since I don't know anyone with an iphone 4 or new touch. But I am an apple nerd so...
    or the HTC hero that I can get from credo mobile for $80 and 25% off service for the first year. note: my current phone provider is cricket with crappy samsung I pay $45 per month. so with the discount I'm looking at only a $10 increase for the hero with unlimited data.
    Any thoughts?

thanks for the input!

2. macrumors newbie

I have both and I use my hero to broadcast wifi to the ipod touch. It does suck carry around two devices thou :(

3. thread starter macrumors member

That was one of my concerns with the touch is having to still use my crap samsung. and not being able to have gps and maps on the go. I like the touch better but practicality is calling for the hero.

4. macrumors 68020

Firestar

I would have to say the Hero, since you seem like you really want a new phone. It can play music and games, maybe just not as many or not as in-depth. But it's really your choice.

5. macrumors regular

Since you're talking about the Hero, I'm assuming you're with Sprint. Why not the Evo or Epic?

6. macrumors 68020

Firestar

Uhmmm...

7. macrumors regular

oh lol, thought Credo Mobile was a store or something. Never heard of em

8. macrumors 68020

Firestar

Me neither. They're branched off ATT's network.

http://www.credomobile.com/

9. macrumors newbie

There is no competition for the iPod Touch. Is getting an HTC phone the only other solution?

10. macrumors 68020

Firestar

Zune HD? :confused:

11. thread starter macrumors member

thanks for all the input!

actually credo used to operate as mobile assets. they lease from sprint and unlike the other major companies that donate to various right wing organizations and politicians and eco-irresponsible groups they donate to pretty good causes like planned parenthood and various eco and civil rights groups.

I'd love to have the touch but I think the use of maps and gps, etc. outside of wi-fi networks and having a unified device kind of outweighs the touch. and I can't afford an iphone with the new caps on data and all. and if I could would probably not want to go with AT&T.

with the base minute plan and REAL unlimited data plus the 25% off service for the first year, I can have the hero on credo for about $55 a month.

12. macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Do you absolutely rule out the idea of an iPhone 4?
    I know, AT&T contract and all that jazz, but still...

13. macrumors 65816

Mr Kram

seems like you want to upgrade your phone, so get the hero.

14. macrumors member

Oh please. The Zune HD is hardly anything compared to the iPod Touch.

15. macrumors regular

Zune HD would be a badass PMP...if it had a decent app store. But as it is, it's nothing more than a pretty MP3 player. It's such a waste of the Tegra processor and OLED screen. A shame too cause I love the Zune interface, it's the only other player that's doing its own thing instead of copying the grid icons of the iPod

16. macrumors 6502

The Zune HD was slim with a very pretty, if low resolution by current standards, OLED screen, kneecapped by microsoft with a non-existent app store and a truly crummy browser. It would have done well regardless if it came out in 2007. I don't think they sold in any significant number though. Sure, it was great at playing music and videos, but the Touch just made people expect more out of its form factor and price point.

17. macrumors newbie

James cuck

I know that I can use my HTC Hero as a router. How do I set this up so that my Ipod Touch can take advantage of the wifi signal?

18. macrumors 6502a

There are apps that will do it but you need to root your phone in order to use them.

19. macrumors 68020

Firestar

The iPod Touch is nothing compared to the Zune HD. Have you even tried one? It's far better quality, and for a better price. The only thing that the iPod Touch has better is selection of apps. And the apps aren't the device.

20. macrumors 6502

The Zune HD is competitive with the 2007-era 1st gen touch hardware and software wise with a nicer screen and (supposedly) with better audio quality. It's pretty well been eclipsed by this point though.

21. macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

buy an unlocked iphone 4 from canada and use it on your network (or buy one from att and jailbreak it) :rolleyes::cool:

if not that then get the hero...

22. macrumors newbie