Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
The folks I recommend whatsapp to are always glad they install it.

I really hope they figure out their pricing policy with Android users though. I think it's kind of unfair Android users have to pay each year while iOS users only have to pay once. Weird split.

They have revised the iOS pricing scheme so that's now an annual fee.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
If you've actually read any of the reviews, you'd understand that the power button was strategically placed at the top of the phone due to it also containing an IR Blaster inside. Is it really that big of a deal that it's on the top left instead of the bottom? Honestly to me, it's not that big of a deal.

I don't care what the reviews say. You can't turn it on one handed. That is ridiculous. I could care less about one handed operation, except to turn the phone on. That's a must!

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I don't care what the reviews say. You can't turn it on one handed. That is ridiculous. I could care less about one handed operation, except to turn the phone on. That's a must!

I have no problem turning it on one handed. Have you tried using your index finger?

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
You went longer than I did. I played with a display model and it felt good but it reminded me of white wall tires and the OS is all over the place. It's android under sense which is under blink feed.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I have no problem turning it on one handed. Have you tried using your index finger?

Same, No trouble here with the power button and turning it on one handed. I don't have the biggest hands either.

HTC one and my iPhone 5

attachment.php
attachment.php

thunng8

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2006
They have revised the iOS pricing scheme so that's now an annual fee.

They have not revised it yet. The change might come sometime this year according to their CEO. The annual fee is only applicable to new customers once the change takes place.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Damb i laugh at people that can't figure out how to use an android phone, one of my mates is the biggest technology noob on the planet and he was able to move from an iP4s to a S3 without a hitch and keeps telling me how easy it is to do things compared to his old iphone. Its obvious you either never really had a HTC One or you were not really interested in giving it a fair chance.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Damb i laugh at people that can't figure out how to use an android phone, one of my mates is the biggest technology noob on the planet and he was able to move from an iP4s to a S3 without a hitch and keeps telling me how easy it is to do things compared to his old iphone. Its obvious you either never really had a HTC One or you were not really interested in giving it a fair chance.

I agree. iOS is so simple that it's actually harder to use. Things take more steps.

Having said that Sense does do a feel things weird. For example you can't drag and drop to change icons from the dock. You have to go through menus to change that. That's just puzzling and more iOS like than android.

runlsd

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2009
I lost my Optimus G recently before HTC One came out. Decided to try something different and got an iPhone 5. Although I've had an iPod Touch for a couple of years, I never had an iPhone.

After using the iPhone 5 for a week, I exchanged it for a HTC One on its launch day. There are things that I took for granted on the Android OS, things that became so simple and expected, that iOS wouldn't do.. iOS by comparison felt dated.

To be honest, I don't like HTC's Sense interface very much. Can't turn off Blinkfeed, can't add toggles in the notification drawer, powersaver mode always stays in notification drawer, column/row # isn't adjustable.. etc. But I've had an Android phone for long enough that I know how to work around most of these "issues." Currently running ADWLauncher EX and it's the best phone I've used.

At the end of the day, different strokes for different folks. But Android can be an extensive platform for a first time user. I would suggest spending more than a day on your next Android phone, if that happens.

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
How did you get your yahoo! accounts to sync with the Gmail app?

login to your gmail via web on a computer.
goto gmail settings > accounts.

you can then specify your non-gmail accounts and import the stuffs. it's a neat feature to manage multiple NON-GOOGLE email account from Gmail.

erio8

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
Same, No trouble here with the power button and turning it on one handed. I don't have the biggest hands either.

HTC one and my iPhone 5

ImageImage

Turning it on obviously isn't the issue. It's waking it up. It's the fact that the power button fuctions like the home button on the iphone. Not the same as reaching over and hitting the home button with one finger to wake up the phone. I do it all the time when my iphone is sitting next to me. You don't have to pick up the phone and reach on top of the phone. Even when holding the phone it's still easier to just press the home button with your thumb which is what I use for most quick selections....much more natural position in line with your natural grip. This is certainly only one of many reasons why I returned the phone. This thread also does a pretty good job of explaining why I didn't like the phone: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1573057/

----------

No it just wasn't the phone for me...period. I felt it was inferior for practical reasons. Keeping the phone longer would not have solved the problems I encountered or make me like the phone more. When I get a new phone I want to feel like it's an upgrade and not a downgrade. I didn't need any more time to figure that out. I'm faily tech savy. This thread might help: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1573057/

Last edited:

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Gonna go out on a limb and say the OP will have (tried) another Android by the end of the summer.... Once you get a taste of the possibilities you can't shake it even if it was for a couple hours.

erio8

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
Gonna go out on a limb and say the OP will have (tried) another Android by the end of the summer.... Once you get a taste of the possibilities you can't shake it even if it was for a couple hours.

Not going to happen... I don't need a phone with a lot of "possibilities" that serve no true purpose. I just need it to work right for my purposes.

Last edited:

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
I was getting cold feet the first 24 hours, but a day or 2 isn't enough time to truly make a decision. In that time all you know is that the experience is unfamiliar to you, which is an uncomfortable feeling, and would lead one to return the device. I'm on day 3 now and have gotten used to Android and Sense 5, which I personally find to be the best Android skin. I will still recommend the iPhone 5 to certain people, but the HTC One is CLASS, and in a league of it's own.

swoosh0217

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
NW
I'm with T-Mobile and waiting for it to come out this Wednesday. I went to The AT&T store yesterday and checked out the HTC One. My first impression is amazing. The screen just reminds me of my iPhone 5 but allot bigger. The look and feel is as good if not better than my iPhone 5.

I am definitely picking one up this Wednesday!

erio8

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
I'm with T-Mobile and waiting for it to come out this Wednesday. I went to The AT&T store yesterday and checked out the HTC One. My first impression is amazing. The screen just reminds me of my iPhone 5 but allot bigger. The look and feel is as good if not better than my iPhone 5.

I am definitely picking one up this Wednesday!

Looks can be deceiving. I think it's worth giving a try. I thought the same thing until I actually starting using the phone for it's basic purposes. It's fun to play with, but it's the complete package of the iphone that made me go back. Adding better hardware with a fancy aluminum body simply isn't enough.

Iphone screens are large enough for a phone. If you don't have another device like a laptop or tablet, I can see wanting a larger screeen. Otherwise, it actually makes the phone larger and more awkward. I hope apple doesn't try to compete by increasing the screen size too much on the next iphone. That would be a mistake in my opinion.

Last edited:

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Nah, I just bite them lol :D

I wish my nails look that good when i bite them :(

----------

Looks can be deceiving. I think it's worth giving a try. I thought the same thing until I actually starting using the phone for it's basic purposes. It's fun to play with, but it's the complete package of the iphone that made me go back. Adding better hardware with a fancy aluminum body simply isn't enough.

Iphone screens are large enough for a phone. If you don't have another device like a laptop or tablet, I can see wanting a larger screeen. Otherwise, it actually makes the phone larger and more awkward. I hope apple doesn't try to compete by increasing the screen size too much on the next iphone. That would be a mistake in my opinion.

Get a grip mate ! Atleast use "imo" :rolleyes: iphone screen are large enough for a phone ? In YOUR opinion, for a lot of people its too damm small :)

Awkward ? I find the iphone 5 extremely awkward being so thin and the fact that its so damm light and feels so fragile.

What is this complete package you speak ? My iphone and ipads all came in a box with a cable and a charger nothing else same with other phones, did you expect to have the same grid of icons and same settings layout ?

:rolleyes: :eek:

swoosh0217

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
NW
I used to have an android phone before going back to iPhone 5 so I know quite well how Android software work. Most of the issues you mentioned OP can be address if u just spend a little bit more time with the phone and do some googling for help.

The one thing I will miss are jailbreak tweaks but who says im giving up my iphone 5. I will have the best of both worlds come Wednesday.

erio8

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
I wish my nails look that good when i bite them :(

----------

Get a grip mate ! Atleast use "imo" :rolleyes: iphone screen are large enough for a phone ? In YOUR opinion, for a lot of people its too damm small :)

Awkward ? I find the iphone 5 extremely awkward being so thin and the fact that its so damm light and feels so fragile.

What is this complete package you speak ? My iphone and ipads all came in a box with a cable and a charger nothing else same with other phones, did you expect to have the same grid of icons and same settings layout ?

:rolleyes: :eek:

Of course it's my opinion. If you read my post I actually did say "in my opinion." HTC One feels quite light as well and definitely fragile. It might have an aluminum body, but it doesn't feel quite as well made...in my opinion ;)

Complete package meaning hardware and software. See my original post and this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1573057/

Last edited:

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
This I have to disagree with on, in one aspect. In this day and age were many corporations use Exchange for their hosted email, Exchange should work out of the box without relying on a third party service or software.

Of course. But I find the Exchange client on the iPhone extremely limiting, too. There's an app called Touchdown that is as feature rich as Outlook itself.

Every default app is not going to be everything to everybody. I like the fact that I have choices on Android.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
No it just wasn't the for me phone...period. I felt it was inferior for practical reasons. Keeping the phone longer would not have solved the problems I encountered or make me like the phone more. When I get a new phone I want to feel like it's an upgrade and not a downgrade. I didn't need any more time to figure that out. I'm faily tech savy. This thread might help: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1573057/

Almost all the issues in your OP can EASILY be fixed if you actually bothered to give the phone a proper chance. Anyway use whatever phone you like im just pointing out that iPhone users don't always give Android a fair chance. My Nexus 4 is doing all the stuff in your OP and it does it better then an iOS ever could. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.