html code editor

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by KyleC, Aug 24, 2005.

1. KyleC macrumors member

Can anyone recommend a HTML editor for osx? I am taking a basic html class and I want to use a program other than textedit. One that will highlight my code nicely.

Thanks!

2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Taco HTML Edit is excellent.

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

BBEdit is a very good editor, but it's not free. (The coders at the web design firm I used to work at, post-Microsoft, all used it.)

4. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

A free alternative to BBedit if you don't want to spend the cash(Free for private use, Commercial use is like 35$) is SubEthaEdit. Has syntax style hilighting which you can custom configure for different strings. Plus not only does it have pre set highlights for HTML it also does for just about any programming language available, and if it's not you can always add your own sets.

Plus it lets you see your progess in realtime via a preview pane which shows your results as you type your HTML.

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I think maybe TextWrangler is a bit better BBEdit substitute than SubEthaEdit, since that's made by the same company as BBEdit, as a freeware version of BBEdit. (Edit: Just to be clear SubEthaEdit is also a very nice text editor, and I have and use both... :))

Also Taco HTML edit has been mentioned. Quite nice and free program, which even let you preview php natively, without going through Apache. :cool:

For a bit more powerful tool, but still free, check out NVU. It's basically a free version of Dreamweaver...

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Another vote for Taco Html Edit :).

As you can imagine the icon is pretty cool for it as well!

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

And Smultron doesn't get mentioned often enough. It's got a nice interface for a simple editor.

8. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

Got to give a vote to Taco HTML Edit. I used it when I took my JavaScript class. Very fast and easy to use.

9. dyplea26 macrumors newbie

HTML just begun writing code using Textedit on a G5.
    Code seems correct - however the actual code displays in every browser I use [Firefox, Safari, IE].

What am I doing wrong?
    Code:

<html>
    <head>
    <title>AldenBerndsen Web Page</title>
    </head>
    <body>
    The AldenBerndsen Home Page.<br>
    First attempt.<hr>
    <p>Wow!<hr>
    Weow!<br>
    </body>
    </html>
    Thanks

10. Linkjeniero macrumors 6502

vim. It's simple yet powerful. (it runs on the terminal)

I tried your code and it shows correctly (although you are missing a </p>). Maybe the problem is the text editor... try saving it in something else (you can try pico, also in the terminal. But vim is much better...)

11. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If you are using TextEdit and created a new file, make sure that before you save you pick "Make plain text" from the Format menu. Also, when you save the file, use .html or .htm as your extension, browsers prefer that for local files.

12. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

One other vote for Taco HTML edit. Also I like NVU, it's nice too.