html file extentions

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Amphersand, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Amphersand macrumors member

Whats the difference between .html and .htm
    And does it make any difference if its written .HTM in caps????

I just tried uploading some stuff with these file extentions and it was all over the place. Im guessing it was because of the browser not liking the extentions?

Cheers for any help.

2. eb6 macrumors regular

3. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

It depends on your mime-type. Generally speaking your best off using .html as that is always supported...

4. RacerX macrumors 65832

A few years after the Web had gotten started, Windows users started wanting to be part of the action. But do to limitations of Windows at the time (which restricted file names to 8 characters plus a three character extension) web naming standards (which had worked fine for Unix and Mac based systems) needed to be altered. This is why Microsoft's servers prefer htm to html and how jpeg and mpeg got shortened to jpg and mpg.

Now that Windows has caught up with the rest of the computing world, it isn't a requirement to use the shortened extensions any more. The only place you'll have issues is on MS servers which want to see index.htm rather than index.html.

At one point there was even htmld which had the same "package" quality (HTML text document with images) that TextEdit's rtfd documents have today.

You'll need to define "all over the place" if you want help... All browsers should be fine with any version of HTML, html, HTM or htm.

If you are playing with these extensions after you have made links within your pages... then yeah, you've got problems. If a link is looking for page.html and you've change that page's name to page.HTM, the link is broken. Browsers aren't going to attempt to second guess what you were linking to, they either see exactly what you put or they return a 404 error.

5. Amphersand thread starter macrumors member

Cheers everyone. My key disk was changing some, but not all, of my file extentions to caps. So it couldnt see the css of half the images and a few of the pages.

Now, ive had a look in the manual for the key disk and i cant seem to find where i claim back the last three hours of life. If anyone has any ideas, do let me know.

Its a work in progress, once its all finalised ill bump this back up and hopefully get some feed back.

Thanks again everyone!