Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ghostee, Jul 24, 2005.

1. ghostee macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2004
    Villa Park, IL
    I will be getting my first HDTV within the next month, and was looking at building an HTPC to compliment it. I would use it to play dvds (from the disc and the hard drive, as I would rip all my DVDs into it), record standard and/or high definition TV (analog cable and free-to-air HD), and play various content (music and video) I download / purchase from online. It would also have to be tough enough to play high definition video content as it comes availble.

I see many solutions on the PC side of things including Windows Media Center Edition, MythTV, and the like. However, I havn't found much on the Mac side. I would much rather purchase a new Mac than build a PC, providing there is frontend software to allow for easy control via a remote. I've seen some promising development on the Mac side of things (Centerstage, MythTV frontend), but they are not ready for primetime.

Does anybody here use their Mac as a media center, and how do you have it setup? What frontend software? Remote control?
  2. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    You may find what you want here.
  3. ghostee thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2004
    Villa Park, IL
    Thanks, I would definately use an EyeTV or two for my setup. But I'm still wondering about what frontend to use to control everything. Using a mouse isn't the kind of interface I want (especially since I'll be moving over from a TiVo).
  4. ftaok macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast
  5. Stevie_nottm macrumors newbie

Dec 31, 2004
    On the PC side of technology

Since this thread started months ago, things have moved on a bit in the Apple world with the Intel announcements, and I personally have been looking into a Digital Lifestyle hub, or as I suppose you could cal it, a HTPC.

Have any of you guys ever seen the Silverstone range of HTPC cases?

If Apple are looking into this marketplace, they in a way half way there with case design and are never shirkers from interesting product design.

Look at the Silverstone LC18 for instance....It looks half like a cross between the XServe/XRaid ranges, a bit of PowerBook G4 and little bits of Quicksilver G4 too.

Now, make this with new cheap, value for money Mactel hardware, Apple software and get it at a $999 pricetag and watch it rock! TIVO/PVR hardware, good graphics, itunes, wireless all that Apple lifestyle stuff and you'd smash this market to pieces overnight. Its 'so' Apple, and a market ripe for colonisation