Huawei Settles with Apple/Microsoft 'Rockstar Consortium' Over Nortel Patents

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 23, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Apple-backed "Rockstar consortium" has filed a joint motion with Huawei in U.S. District Court of Eastern Texas to dismiss with prejudice Rockstar's claims of patent infringement against the Chinese handset manufacturer. Though the motion does not mention a settlement amount, it is reasonable to expect there was some monetary licensing agreement that will allow Huawei to continue using the patents.
    Huawei is the first of seven Android OEMs cited in the original lawsuit to settle with Rockstar. Other high-profile companies mentioned in the suit include Google, Samsung, HTC, ZTE, LG, Pantech, and ASUSTeK. The decision by Huawei to settle may impact the other defendants in the case as it suggests to the court that Rockstar's claims of patent infringement may have reasonable merit. As a result, other OEMs may decide to pursue a settlement rather than fight the claims in court.

The patents in question are related search technology and user profiles. They were obtained by Rockstar as part of a patent collection the consortium purchased in 2011 from bankrupt Canadian communications company Nortel.

Article Link: Huawei Settles with Apple/Microsoft 'Rockstar Consortium' Over Nortel Patents

2. macrumors regular

glutenenvy

Am I the only one that (possibly naively) believes software patents should go public domain and not be considered sellable assets when a company fails?

3. macrumors 68040

Gasu E.

It seems to me a fundamentally bad idea to have different rules of patent ownership for different classes of technology. If you had said "there need to be tighter standards for software patents", I think a lot of people would agree with that.

4. macrumors 68020

Or software shouldn't be patentable at all - a question the US Supreme Court may address later this year.

But I don't see why certain patents should be treated differently than others in terms of being an asset of value when a company goes bankrupt.

5. macrumors 6502a

Although I don't appreciate patent trials as a monetary offensive, I'm hoping that the Rockstar Consortium's idea is to license any and all companies for a small price so that everyone can make use of the patents, so that there exists no ambiguities about licensing when true patent trolls come knocking.

6. macrumors 6502a

SBlue1

We need patents. But it would be better if the technical patents would expire after lets say 10 years just like the medical patents expire after a certain time.

7. macrumors newbie

For Huawei to be the first (?) to settle on this is interesting. They're pretty well-known in the industry for their particularly loose standards (and cavalier attitude) regarding honoring others' intellectual property rights.

(did I say that in an innocuous enough manner?)

Try searching for "huawei intellectual property theft".

Cisco statement

Network World article

8. macrumors 68020

(grabs popcorn and watches the other companies)

9. stroydex, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014

macrumors newbie

The precedent set would threaten other areas of IP. So Michael Jackson dies bankrupt, and the Beatles songbook goes public domain.. I don't think so. And like heirs, shareholders and creditors have well established rights.

10. macrumors regular

glutenenvy

Software patents are much more like small pieces of DNA than like artistic works. The (small percentage of) software patents and summeries I've read are only individual tiny building blocks to a finished product. An artistic work is a finished product.

If a software patent were usually for a complete consumer marketable widget, I'd have to agree with your point. Too much money is wasted on patent baiting and legal fishing. We as the consumers end up paying for that eventually in end pricing.