'Hue Menu' Controls Philips Hue Lights From the Mac Menu Bar

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 28, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

A third-party developer has released a new Mac app that allows control of Philips Hue light bulbs from a menulet in the Mac menu bar. Hue Menu, available on the Mac App Store, uses the Hue API to change the colors, brightness and more of Hue lights.

A year ago, Philips released its Hue iOS-controlled LED light bulbs exclusively on the Apple Store. More recently, the company released new LED 'LightStrips' and an accent lamp called 'Bloom'.

Hue Menu is available for $2.99 on the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Hue Menu' Controls Philips Hue Lights From the Mac Menu Bar
  2. macrumors member

Sep 19, 2011
    Mentor, OH

Do you have a link to this wallpaper? Looks great.
  3. macrumors 68030

May 27, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Wallpaper is stock.
  4. macrumors newbie

Jun 28, 2013
    I guess you can say thats *puts on shades* colourful
  5. macrumors 6502

Jan 10, 2007
    I've been using this for a little while now, I love it. So convenient and I love that you can group multiple lights together to control them all at once rather than going on the iPhone/iPad apps to individually slide them.
  6. macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2011
    The land of the cucumbers
    It's one of the defaults. "Blue Pond". Taken by Kent Shiraishi.
  7. macrumors member

Sep 19, 2011
    Mentor, OH
    Thanks!! Never noticed it.
  8. macrumors regular

Jun 9, 2008
    Now all we need are brighter bulbs (75/100 watt equivalent options), and better security so anyone walking by with the app can't change your lights!
  9. macrumors member

May 12, 2008
    Just a BTW, Colors for Hue does basically the same thing but is free on the Mac App Store.

Does everything, except it doesn't have random modes, presets, or relax/energize modes Philips includes.
  10. macrumors 68030

Sep 3, 2010
    agreed on the wattage.

as for security I think you're mistaken. I think any client must 1) be on your network, 2) have paired with your bridge.
  11. macrumors regular

Aug 21, 2010
    This is correct.
  12. macrumors 6502a

Apr 17, 2009
    Norfolk, UK
    I don't understand the need for this product....when would you ever need to turn your lights on through wifi?
  13. macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    Laziness. I wouldn't mind it if I didn't have to run downstairs to turn off a light I left on by mistake when I am comfy in bed. :)
  14. macrumors regular

Aug 28, 2009
    United Kingdom
    It doesn't just turn your lights on & off.

Ever used f.lux ?

Looks like the latest beta of f.lux on Windows can dim your lights when its does your monitor, wish they'd hurry up with the Mac app.
  15. macrumors 68020

Oct 14, 2011
    A possible use, though I'm not sure if it's implemented yet, setting timers, so you can simulate someone being home, ie turning the lights on and off at random intervals, when you're on vacation or away on a business trip.
  16. macrumors 68030

Sep 3, 2010
    we use it daily. we set up several bulbs (strip lighting out now too) then defined several light "recipes" for mood or usage which alter the color hue and output brightness. "reading", "movies", "red", etc.. control them via ipad or iphone on the couch. it's great.

smarthome lighting for the everyman. (complainers dont like the hue's cost, but smarthome tools have historically been toys for the wealthy...this system is pretty approachable by anyone above modest means)

timers are supposed in the hue software. as are geofences
  17. macrumors 68020

Oct 25, 2009
    Does anyone know if the iPhone/iPad app, Ambify, has an OSX equivalent?
  18. macrumors member

Oct 12, 2009
    Not only that, but colors for hue has a allows you to dim or change the hue of all the bulbs in a group at the same time. Very cool. It can be finicky to get it to reconnect if you have to restore your base for whatever reason.
  19. macrumors 603

Jan 8, 2009
    Couple of reasons:

- Handicap: My father is a 77 year old double leg amputee from diabetes [neglect], I installed these throughout my family's home which allows them to control lights he couldn't normally reach

- Deaf: IFTTT recipes allow for a myriad of actions, and some are coming around that may allow the deaf to be alerted if an alarm is sounded (fire or break-in)

- Geo-fencing: Turn lights on when arriving at home and soon lights will be able to track your presence through the device currently connected and controlling the system (walking through rooms turns lights on and off)

- Monitoring: Control lighting away from home, saves energy and possible burglary attempts

- Energy: LED lights last a long time and are much more energy efficient, unlike most LED lights these allow for warmer whites in addition to colors (I've had mine since day 1, not one needing replacing, however a friend busted his and Philips sent him a free replacement)

- IFTTT recipes allow for certain lights to activate based on changes in weather forecast, stocks, emails from specific people, alerts - just about anything.

- Recipes: Install and name each light, then create recipes. Recipes can be made as one touch macros, select which lights, their colors and brightness, then decide if the lights should turn on automatically at dusk/dawn, a set time, through geofencing, etc. and save. The recipes will be available across all iOS and OS X attached devices.

There's a lot more, but it goes well beyond a novelty. I also installed a second gen Nest for my parents' and my own 2 and 3 stage HVAC Trane systems, saved money/paid for itself while simplifying home energy control.
  20. macrumors 65816

Jul 5, 2004
    There is another app in the app store called "Colors for Hue" It looks like it does the same thing? Except it's free..
    I've not used either of them however..
  21. macrumors regular

Jul 11, 2008
    I need one of those multi stage trane systems.
  22. macrumors G3

Aug 24, 2009
    So you have to buy the bulbs. And then the apps...
  23. macrumors 603

Jan 8, 2009
    Trane systems are excellent (Rheem, Ruud as well), though upfront costs are higher than most. In 2011, NYS had a rebate program for high SEER systems. Our 18 SEER Trane HVAC was ~$10k, minus $1500 from NYS and $1000 from the installers along with a free 50 gallon water tank (considered a tankless water heater, too new and expensive). R22 (Freon) AC systems are being phased out with environmentally friendly R410A, and noticed the cooling is much better.

~ 2 years later, now w/ a Nest 2.0, we can easily compare our monthly usage. The Nest already paid for itself, the Trane system has already saved us enough for ~60% of its cost and counting. Long term, best investment I've made.
  24. macrumors newbie

May 29, 2014
    Colors for Hue is not available anymore. Is someone know how to get it?
  25. macrumors 6502a

Jun 12, 2013
    I was wondering the same thing