Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xjohn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
Beijing
So I thought I had tens of GB of free space on my hard drive, and then I got a "running out of space" notice today. After poking around for a bit, I noticed that my the CloudKit folder in the Cache folder has 40GB+ of data... Something seems wrong here... Any ideas?

Edit: within the CloudKid folder, it's the com.apple.clouddocs folder that's taking up all of the space. Within that there are two folders with encoded names, and one of them is taking up all of the space. Within that it's the AssetsDB (30GB+) and MMCS (8GB+) folders that are taking up all of the space...

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Last edited:

xjohn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
Beijing
Thanks. I checked the iCloud preferences, but it shows that I'm using 13GB out of 20. So still no idea what the 40GB could be from...
:(

leventozler

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2009
Thanks. I checked the iCloud preferences, but it shows that I'm using 13GB out of 20. So still no idea what the 40GB could be from...
:(

When you click manage, it gives a detailed list of apps and usage.

or in Terminal try

Code:
cd ~/Library/Mobile\ Documents/
du -h -d 1

xjohn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
Beijing
Yeah, it gives a list of the apps and usage, but the total is nowhere close to the 40GB that are in the CloudKit folder.

Hmm...

Bad Santa

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2014
I face exactly the same problem when I bought 200Gb of iCloud Drive and moved there my Aperture Library, just to discover I'm out of space now.

I deleted the biggest one and so far it seems to work anyway.

Looks as if iCloud simply creates a copies of all the docs that are in there. Not the thing I'd like to see, indeed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.