Huge ad in the WallStreet Journal

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chad4Mac, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Chad4Mac macrumors 6502

There is a huge -- two page -- add on the new 17in PowerBook in the MarketPlace section on the WallStreet Journal this morning.

The 17in is fully opened and is laying flat on the page horizontally. On the display it says, "actual size." Great ad.

Check it out if you have access to the Journal

Chad4Mac

2. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

When you saw it did you say "Holy Crap that's big!"? I'm going to run out and get a copy in a bit, wow... can't wait to see it. :D

-Ch2d

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Is there a Online version, link? Would be interested to view, thanks. :)

4. Chad4Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Here's pic

No, I didn't say that's all that big. But what I did do was put my TiBook on top of it to see the deference in size. I opened up the TiBook Screen the whole way and placed it on top of the ad. It's really not that much bigger.

Sorry, there is no Online ad. To get the real effect you must buy the Journal (1/14).

You could use the ad as a poster if you really wanted too.

Check it out

Chad4Mac

5. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Your monitor's not big enough...

6. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Re: Here's pic

Chad, can we get an image of your 15" layed out on top of the ad so that we can see the comparison? Thanks!

7. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Do you know what?

The new Powerbook is ugly.

The kayboard section is too square and there is not grace in the style. It is a bit 70's may be.

That model would be good with some round corners like the Pismo. May be next line they may play a bit more with the design.

As a machine is good and from the outside looks good too but well, I may have to look at it for real.

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Able to view without difficulty! :p

9. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

Now this is interesting... People are buying a paper to see an ad... WallStreet Journal should be paying Apple for the ad, not the other way around... :D

10. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

For the record, when I saw it I did say "Holy crap that's big!" This thing is enormous and while i may not presently carry a TiBook around with me, i can say, this thing is big. I mean BIG.. goddamn...

11. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Yeah

I dont really like the design of the 17" PB. I REALLY liked the pismos. They had curves, and they were black. I really liked them.

12. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

really like it...

Are the dot-panels on the sides of the keyboard on the 17" speakers?

I agree, the pismo's were sexy.. but they were also black and plastic, now adays that describes a dell (all 'cept the sexy part). I think the 17" and 12" will have a certain grandness to them, but its not fair to say until we get up and close to one.. I certainly am going to wait to see them in person before I order mine.

13. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Sorry to brake the bubble but apple has a 2 page Middle Section Ad in 'The York Times'
    My dad was reading the paper and said, 'sheech' and I looked at it as in 'acual size' it was gigantic. :eek:

14. Chad4Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I have held the new 17in in my own hands, looked at it from all angles, and love the thing. I have even placed my Ti on top of the "actual size" 17in ad and found the two computers to be very similar in size (I will post the pic tomorrow). It simply is not that big.

I'm sold...

Chad

15. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

You're sold on what? Half your post seems to praise it and the other half concludes its not that big.. are you saying that you've held it, its great, and it doesnt seem that much bigger than the 15" Ti? Is that a good thing?

Slowest 2months... EVER.

16. Chad4Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

My first impression -- much like a lot of people -- was that the 17in was going to be too big. But after seeing it, that is not the impression I got. People have been saying that it is huge, but I'm saying that it is not. It's definitely bigger than the 15.2 -- in a good way -- but doesn't lose the portability, IMO.

I'm sold because I wanted a computer with a bigger screen, and was really tempted to buy the 17in iMac. But I was reluctant because I need portability. I do a lot of research on the internet (in the office and abroad) and the wider screen helps a lot with multiple apps open, and coupled with being portable (and the wireless reception, increase in processor, superdrive, ddr, 64 video, ventilation improvements, keyboard improvments plus backlight, bluetooth) I'm sold.

Chad4Mac