Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
From BBC Article:
The first phase of an ambitious computing network designed to handle huge amounts of data has been launched.

The network, dubbed the Grid, has been set up by the Cern labs in Geneva to tap into the processing power of computers in 12 countries.

The aim of the project is to handle data from an experiment on how the Universe began.

Cern believes the Grid could eventually provide people access to a vast pool of processing power from their desktops.
Full BBC Article.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Interesting. There's something I read in the campus newspaper about a research network between universites that uses 'dark fiber', laid by phone companies, but never used. It would allow researchers to have instant access to terabytes of information when they needed it for different research/computing needs. I forgot what it was called, though... Something like the National Lambda Rail...

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Only a few more years until the first piece of software gains self awareness.

Then world war 3, I would prefer the Terminator future to being stuck in a matrix though.

:D
IMG5230d.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.