Huge crowds at Times Square Surface Launch event

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by smoledman, Oct 25, 2012.

1. macrumors 68000

Oct 17, 2011
  2. macrumors G3

Aug 24, 2009
    I'm glad Microsoft have upped their game a little. The surface looks a great tablet and I certainly wish them all the best with it and Windows 8. One day I'll get a decent job so I can afford all of these great gadgets.
  3. Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
    Time will tell if the surface is the real deal - I'm not interested in the RT version, but the atom based is tempting except that it will be priced out of my reach. Heck even the RT surface is more $$ then I want to spend on it.

Looks like with the initial energy and excitement MS does have a winner on their hands. I wonder if this will translate into a phone as well. I think MS is taking a page out of Google's handbook and producing a product to jump start the market/design for their platform.
  4. Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Detroit, Michigan
    After I found out last night that the Surface has no cellular in it as an option and coupled with the pricing deals they came with, I am unsure on how well it's going to sell in comparison to the iPad and Galaxy Nexus 7. But I hope if doesn't totally flop for MS, they need something to give them a marketing boost.
  5. macrumors 68040

May 15, 2007
    I'm definitely interested in the Surface but it's going to be the Pro model. I'm also looking forward to using Windows 8 but it's going to be on a Tablet. The XBOX 360 dashboard update looks nice and less cluttered to the previous update.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Aug 1, 2010
    As a first generation device, it is a great piece of hardware. The main problems are software-related and need time to resolve.
  7. macrumors regular

Oct 26, 2012
    Was at the MS store in Orlando today, was a pretty healthy line of people waiting on surfaces, I was surprised. Got to play around with it a little in store and the touch cover is surprisingly responsive, it felt so weird as i was typing but i wasnt screwing up at all. Definitely right about taking a few days to get used to. As for the device itself, I happened to be with my mother and even she had nice things to say about it and shes about as tech illiterate as they come haha. With time I can definitely see it becoming a winner, but yes, the app situation definitely is holding it back for now.