Huge European iTunes giveaway

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rdowns, Aug 2, 2006.

1. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

LONDON, Aug 2 (Reuters) - Apple is teaming up with Coca-Cola in Europe to give away about 70 million songs on its market-leading iTunes Music Store -- more than a third of the total number of songs it has sold there to date.

The companies declined to disclose terms of the deal.

In just over two years, Apple has sold 200 million songs in Europe, with about 150 million coming in the last 12 months.

Previously, Apple had teamed up with Coke's rival PepsiCo (PEP.N: Quote, Profile, Research) for a giveaway of 100 million songs in the United States.

In Britain, Coke will distribute 70 million song codes inside packs of Coca-Cola and Diet Coke that can be redeemed for tracks at the iTunes store, where they usually sell for 79 pence ($1.47) each.

In Germany Coke will give away some 67,000 iTunes songs and 1,500 iPod portable music players, and other European promotions will follow in the coming months.....

Link

2. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I wonder if those of us in France will have the brouhaha over DRM held against us. We'll see how much promoting Apple does of the iTMS here, I guess.

Luckily I also have a US iTMS account :)

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    At one point, they were promoting this as part of the drive to push Coke Zero over here... guess it's across all Coke lines now...

Hmm... I could do with a few new free Tunes since my last set of freebies have expired.

5. Jeonat macrumors regular

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

hey Applespider, are you trying to tell us something? The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. ;)

7. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

70 million in the UK, but only 67 thousand in Germany? Sounds a bit strange, is there that much a difference in the music markets?

And yeah, it would be nice to get some in Ireland. Or how about Apple giving one free song. Go on, even one...

8. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Or the iPod rebate or SOMETHING. We never see any discounts on anything here.

9. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Apple's iTunes head speaks on Coca-Cola deal - from Macworld UK.

10. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

I have to eat my words. They are doing the iPod rebate.

:) :D :) :D , another reason for me to buy a new mac (which I was going to do anyway)

It runs up until October 7th btw.

11. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Have you seen the new coke music website? It's geared towards promoting unsigned bands from across Europe (I can only see 4 countries England, Austria, Switzerland and Germany...there's no login though so you can pretty much select any of them and look around), using podcasts as the key format, downloaded from within iTunes. Site looks pretty cool actually and the Adam & Joe podcast in particular is very funny. Not much else going on that I can see for now but I assume they'll be adding to it.

The key thing is it is really pushing the iTunes connection, so it looks like there is more to this partnership than just promotions. It's an interesting look and feel and I notice that the podcast homepage in iTunes has links to the podcasts also..interesting...

[EDIT] apologies, just noticed the press release welshandrew posted which talked about the music site, never noticed it before, just got blinded by the 70 million giveaway bit...

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Has anyone actually seen any promo Coke cans/bottles yet?

Usually they appear around the time that it's announced - or that was the case with Extra gum - but haven't seen anything yet.