Huge Excel file--why?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vawolf, Sep 10, 2005.

1. vawolf macrumors member

I have an Excel-related puzzle: what would cause an Excel file with only two sheets—the first has less than 800 rows of data, the second about 400, both have two columns—and no formatting applied (but with auto filters applied) balloon to 68MB? Any theories?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Copy just your data into a new Excel page and tell me if it's still huge. There could be data elsewhere in the file that is somehow taking up massive amounts of space, for some reason. :)

3. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

4. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Do you linked charts or graphs in it? If so that will cause Excel to put all the data from the other worksheets into your worksheet as well. Then if those linked sheets have linked sheets in them...well the file can get large rather quickly.

5. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Macro virus?

6. vawolf thread starter macrumors member

This worked

There must've been extra data that got copies over various versions of the file. I tried your suggestion and it worked. Thanks!

7. pigwin32 macrumors regular

I think this can happen if you have change tracking turned on, basically keeps track of every modification to the file - might be worth checking in case it's still turned on and the files change a lot, you're going to end up in the same situation.

8. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

Maybe the font was being embedded..... a 68MB font.