HUGE mistake with iSync

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Solafaa, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I Synced my Mobil phone with my laptop and by mistake i kinda deleted half the numbers. Insted of merging the numbers iSync decided to delete the ones i had on my phone which had about 100 numbers and transfer about 20 number from my mac to my mobil phone.

Is there any way i can get the numbers back? how could i set it so that it only merges the number swithout deleting it.

Thanks.

2. Solafaa thread starter macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

p.s. i would also like after getting my info back to delete evrything on my .mac and start fresh, how is this best done?

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

First of all, unfortunately, your phone data is gone. I don't know why iSync overwrote it - my phone and Mac seem to sync fine, picking up changes in either one.

Perhaps changing the iSync->Prefs to alert you when data change exceeds, say, 10% would help. Perhaps your phone is only marginally supported by iSync. I'm not sure. The one thing I'm almost positive of, sadly, is that your phone's data is lost. The best thing now, probably, is to enter any data you can remember into the Address Book, then re-sync.

4. Solafaa thread starter macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If the Address Book doesn't have the info from your phone, then no. I assume all you have, between the Mac and the phone, are those few addresses that had been on the Mac originally. The deletion of the phone's addresses occurred on the phone - they likely weren't transferred to the Mac first, but, if they were, they'd be in the Address Book.

6. Solafaa thread starter macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

Well both of them had the info, i was sure that my laptop did. I Synced it lilke a month ago but before i Synced it now i did not check if it had all the contacts but i am sure it did. I dont know why it picked these 20 numbers to keep and deleted the rest.

To think of it i think it deleted the info on the laptop and phone and replaced them with the ones in the .Mac, yup i think thats what happend. For some reason it deleted all contacts on my PB/Phone and replaced them with the ones on my .mac account. Is there any way to undo that?

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Check the SIM card memory on your phone. Address books tend to be in phone memory but you may at some point have saved them to the SIM card's memory.

And like others said, set your preferences to warn you if you're going to change more than 5% or so (then it will ask you what you want to do)

8. Solafaa thread starter macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

:) The contacts are on the SIM card, but its kinda old so i lost probebly 20-30 numbers. Thats not as bad, is there a way i can delete everything on my .Mac so that i can start over so make sure this does not happen again?

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Glad that you got some of them back!

Not sure about deleting the .mac numbers. Just change your preferences to warn you if more than 1% will change. That way you should be prompted to tell it to use the Mac's or the phone's number for each one it is going to change/delete.

10. joshjohnson macrumors member

in iSync's file menu, pick Reset all devices. A dialog will appear asking which device to use as the source for all the data, for example, if you pick your phone, all the contacts and calendars (make a backup of your iCal stuff beforehand) will be deleted off your computer and .Mac account and be replaced with the data from your phone. I hope this helps.

11. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

who are you guys kidding?? right after it happened, you should launch iSync and Devices-->Revert to Last Sync...

gosh, what kind of computer help site is this? :eek:

reality :p

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I don't think that would have any effect on the phone, although it could help the PB if iSync hadn't been run again, and from there you could fix the phone.