Huge OS X Problems, Finder and More

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sean McDonnell, Sep 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean McDonnell macrumors newbie

Yesterday out of nowhere my iMac g5 started acting screwy on me. First, all the things sitting on my desktop disappeared(including the HD icon) and then I was and am still not able to open my finder. Now I can't even reformat anything because I can't open my finder to first back everything up. Also, all the things next to the spotlight icon have disappeared too, like the time, bluetooth, etc. I can't even load up the OS X disk, there's just no way to run it. So yeah, that's about it, hopefully someone will have some advice.

2. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Repair permissions. Use Disk Utility to do that, you have it, it is in your utilities folder.

You weren't trying to install a questionable version of office when this happened were you?

3. Sean McDonnell thread starter macrumors newbie

I have repaired permission and it didn't help. And no I was not installing office.

4. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

The first thing I would suggest is getting a thread started over on Apple Discussions, the official Apple forums, they have some great people to help you there. Also, I know when I recently had problems with finder that re-installing the OS X 10.4.2 update fixed everything.

Also, I have heard of a program called Path Finder that will allow you to browse your HD, kind of an alternative to finder. You could look into this to help you back up.

Sounds like a bad problem, best of luck getting it fixed up. I really think the people at Apple discussions can help you, be sure to give that a shot.

5. cbiffle macrumors member

Maybe I just misread, but do these problems persist when you restart the machine?

6. Sean McDonnell thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, they do persist upon restart. And thanks MrSugar, I'll check that stuff out.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

What about rebooting onto a system install disc? Have you tried that?

8. Sean McDonnell thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, the problem is fixed. Thanks to MrSugar's suggestion of Path Finder, I was able to run the OS X disk to archive and install, and everything seems to be in working order. Thanks for the help.

9. Yeago macrumors newbie

None of these options worked for me. I just opted to disable os x indexing. fixed the problem right away.

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Thanks. A thread over two years old may not have too much relevance today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.