Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
aswitcher said:
I agree, the current share commentators are all commenting on the problems with G5 chip supply...meaning my G4PB will still be the best laptop to be had in the world for a little bit longer :D

You're definitely right. And your PB will still be essentially the best even when the next PB revision comes, since the next revision will see a speed bump to the G4 with marginal other upgrades, I'm predicting. This is assuming Apple doesn't wait an entire year to update the line.

Your laptop shouldn't seem "outdated" (even that's a strong term to use!) until next year when the G5 PowerBooks are announced...

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
This add makes me wonder about a G5 powerbook and heres why. If you look at the wording of the add it obviously implies a supercomputer some other then your desk, duh. So unless their will be a G5 newton it has to be a powerbook or a wall-mount iMac. But think of how unpractical a wall mount iMac would be. First you would need to drill some kind of hole in the wall not a plus on easy consumer set up. Second do you really want your $1500 computer hanging by a nail. What if you live in a condo and can't put holes in the wall. And unless your willing to get rid of your computer desk you are gonna have a long reach to plug in you usb/firewire device. Reaching out to clean the screen is not going to be easy either. Plus you have to have an optical drive another hard to reach item. Also by putting it on the wall you lose the some what ease of movement that iMacs are know for. Now they could always expect you put it some where other then your current table/desk or put the guts on your desk but then your back to a 2 pice computer. Simple not simple. I am sure their will be no wall mountable iMac. So what else could be a supercomputer but not on the desk I guess we will see on tuesday...

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
At least we don't have long to wait. I would be real surprised if a G5 PowerBook was announced. The G5 iMac is the expected announcement. It does seem that Apple always has some surprises.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
And that's what makes this Expo exciting: [1] You know that a big product is going to be announced, and [2] there is plenty of room for lots of little announcements while you wait impatiently like a 5 year old during the holidays.

maesy

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2004
Wouldn't this be nice....

After Phil Schiller delivers the "Key Note", announces new iMAC G5's, etc.... Steve wonders out onto the stage... "Oh, just one more thing..... " PBG5!!!

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
maesy said:
After Phil Schiller delivers the "Key Note", announces new iMAC G5's, etc.... Steve wonders out onto the stage... "Oh, just one more thing..... " PBG5!!!

Not gonna happen. It's always nice to think positively, but it's better to think realistic than positive in many cases. This would be one of them. :cool:

Let's just be happy the G5 iMacs are just around the corner and come to the realization that there will be no G5 PowerBooks until next year.

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Like everyone else, I really can't believe a PB G5 is ready.

Still though, what are we supposed to think? That poster implies we're getting a G5 somewhere OTHER than a desk. So that means we'll have a G5:

1. On our lap :confused:

2. On our wall :confused:

3. In some kind of entertainment center :confused: (I doubt this, but you never know)

Let's make a list of all furniture we have in our homes, and speculate from there. :p

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
dotnina said:

Still though, what are we supposed to think? That poster implies we're getting a G5 somewhere OTHER than a desk. So that means we'll have a G5:

3. In some kind of entertainment center :confused: (I doubt this, but you never know)

Let's make a list of all furniture we have in our homes, and speculate from there. :p

HOLY CRAP! A supercomputer in a futon?!? :eek:

Ensoniq

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Bronx, NY
I think people are greatly misinterpreting the meaning of the poster.

It says "A supercomputer on your desk...next? Apple Expo Paris"

So the whole poster meaning is "Wow...Apple is the company that created the PowerMac G5...boy, isn't that cool? What will they do NEXT? Guess I'll have to go to the Apple Expo Paris to find out."

The poster doesn't imply anything except that Apple creates cool stuff and Paris Expo is the place to be to see what's next. Anyone reading anything into it beyond that simple explanation is just over-thinking. :)

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
dotnina said:

ooh! ooh! a supercomputer in your toilet!!! with airport extreme it could recommend reading material! or uhh...a supercomputer in your easy chair! a heated vibrating chair! a supercomputer in your coffee table! it could have an acd to display virtual books! a supercomputer in your dryer! it could detect when your supecomputer-in-your-pants is in your pants when you attempt to wash them and refuse to operate. so many ideas...

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Ensoniq said:

So the whole poster meaning is "Wow...Apple is the company that created the PowerMac G5...boy, isn't that cool? What will they do NEXT? Guess I'll have to go to the Apple Expo Paris to find out."

The poster doesn't imply anything except that Apple creates cool stuff and Paris Expo is the place to be to see what's next. Anyone reading anything into it beyond that simple explanation is just over-thinking. :)

Yeah, I think your on the money with that one.

I want my metal finish pro apple BT keyboard :)

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Ensoniq said:

I disagree. The picture says, 'Super Computer on your desk'. 'Next', to me says that something, such as another "super computer", and now it (the other "super computer") will have a different location (lap?, wall?,etc) in contrast to a desk; such as update Powerbooks or something. Not saying that what gonna happen, but thats how I read the ad. :D

paxtonandrew

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2004
I Come From A Land Down Under
maesy said:

Firstly, the "Oh, just one more thing..... " PBG5!!! thing has been used only by one person, Steve and only Steve. Schiller won't have the verve to use that if he wants to keep his job (no pun intended) :rolleyes:

Secondly, we have almost been promised by Apple that there will be no PowerBook update. I have to say that Paris will be an eventful activity for all, and with the few Aussies here, will have the best time, deciding between the news and this site.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
I'm guessing this new G5 imac will give us a rough idea as to how long we will wait to get a new G5PB. If they managed to put it in a very constraint area without causing too much heat build up, then perhaps, we will see G5 in the next PB update.

Personally, I do not mind if they decide to let G4 remain in laptops as long as they can increase the bus speed and improve its performance overall. It would be better overall since both laptops and desktops have different technical considerations. Just like pentium has its mobility version, G5 and G4 can goes in different routes.

Dalriada

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2004
Moorlough Shore
Could this be our awaited new iMac.... picked this one up from a French site this morning. Lets hope they're not too far wrong :rolleyes:

Attachments

• fakeornot.jpg
    fakeornot.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 102

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Ensoniq said:

I think we've been driven into mass speculation because of the poster's wording:

"A supercomputer on your desk"

If Apple just wanted to remind people (as you mentioned), "Wow...Apple is the company that created the PowerMac G5," the poster might have read something like,

"A 64-bit supercomputer"

The fact that they were specific to say on your desk, I think, has us all riled up.

:)

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Dalriada said:
Could this be our awaited new iMac.... picked this one up from a French site this morning. Lets hope they're not too far wrong :rolleyes:

That, uh, looks pretty damn cool. But if they can put a g5 in there...

You guys finish the rest.

~Shard~ said:
Not gonna happen. It's always nice to think positively, but it's better to think realistic than positive in many cases. This would be one of them. :cool:

Let's just be happy the G5 iMacs are just around the corner and come to the realization that there will be no G5 PowerBooks until next year.

~Shard~, you really hope G5 Powerbooks aren't announced, don't you? Because if they are, you're gonna see a whole thread of ~Shard~ quotes about no G5 PB until 2090 followed by a million MacRumors members saying, "I told you so."

Of course, you're rebuttal would be, "Yeah, but when are they going to ship?" ;)

Squire

Eric_Z

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2003
About this whole "teh G5 is teh 1337!!1" thing, if I had the choice between two PB's one wich uses an e600( a dualcore CPU with an on board DDR/DDR2 memory controller, RIO bus, integrated GigE, running cool) and one using a 2Ghz 970FX I'd choose the e600 PowerBook any day of the week. Infact if there was a choice between those two in a Power Mac (one with one e600 and one with two G5's at the same clock), I'd propably choose the one with the e600. A 64bit CPU doesn't do anything for me, I wouldn't put over 4GBs of RAM in it anyways. I have no use for it.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Squire said:
That, uh, looks pretty damn cool. But if they can put a g5 in there...

You guys finish the rest.

My thoughts exactly...

Squire said:
~Shard~, you really hope G5 Powerbooks aren't announced, don't you? Because if they are, you're gonna see a whole thread of ~Shard~ quotes about no G5 PB until 2090 followed by a million MacRumors members saying, "I told you so."

Of course, you're rebuttal would be, "Yeah, but when are they going to ship?" ;)

Ah, you know me too well, Squire. Nah, I'm a man, if I end up being wrong I'll be the first to admit it, and would actually take all the ridicule in good spirits - God knows I've dished out more than my fair share of cutting remarks.

And 2090 might be pushing it just a little - I think I'll still hold by my prediction for next year... ;)

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
~Shard~ said:
God knows I've dished out more than my fair share of cutting remarks.

Really? I must've missed them. ;)

And 2090 might be pushing it just a little - I think I'll still hold by my prediction for next year... ;)

How about, "Until Regina gets named host city of the olympics"?

Squire

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
Dalriada said:
That looks quite amazing. I'm hoping the iMac G5's base would have to be quite sturdy if that design was used and it should have some silver/chromr accents to match the PowerMacs, displays and PowerBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.