Huh. Uhhhhhh.... Huh.

Discussion in 'Community' started by ColoJohnBoy, Feb 5, 2005.

1. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

So. I just got home from seeing The Phantom of the Opera with the Mam. Overall a spectacular movie. There was, however, one aspect that made me want to gouge out my ear drums and set them on fire.

The Phantom.

Honestly, but shouldn't some sort of musical ability, even a basic sort, be requisite to singing... well, anywhere, much less in a big-budget movie? I quite wanted to bitch slap him. Every time he sang, it really sounded horrible. Am I the only one who thought this?

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

No, you weren't the only one. He was not a good singer. His vibratto was weak, his voice unstable, and his range, horrible.

But, despite the Phantom, it was a good movie. :)

scem0

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Almost sounds like you're describing one of many popular music sensations... all hype and no substance.

4. ColoJohnBoy thread starter macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

If you're dissing my Britney, so help me God....

:p

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I have "Phantom of the Opera" on DVD, but haven't viewed it yet. Do have the original recording from the original London cast. My wife and I really enjoy the music.

6. ColoJohnBoy thread starter macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

The Broadway/London casts are great. I've seen the play three times, two in NY, one in Denver (the Denver show was actually the best one!).

I don't know what happened to the plan to have Antonio Banderas play the Phantom in the movie; he has an excellent voice!

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Wow, how bad was this guy if you wished Banderas had played him?

Just kidding :p , he was actually pretty good in Evita. But seriously, everyone was complaining about how bad the girl playing Christine was, and now people are complaining about the Phantom himself. And no, you're not the only one. Saying nothing of the guy playing Raul. That's a shame, I enjoyed the stage play when I was a kid. Saw a version on TV, read the book, and my Mom took me to the play as my 13th B-Day present. Robert Guillaume was great.

Maybe we're just spoiled by Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman. :D

And yes, I am straight (not that there's anything wrong with that)... for those of you who like to stereotype.

8. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Bad? Listen to Richard Gere in Chicago before you use the term so loosely! :)