Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Hulu yesterday announced it has signed a multi-year licensing deal with Walt Disney Studios, which will see Hulu granted exclusive subscription video on-demand rights to a selection of Disney movies.

Hulu-copy-545.jpg

Hulu users are now able to exclusively stream popular Disney titles like The Nightmare Before Christmas, Mulan, Pocahontas, Hercules, Sister Act, and AirBud.
"The Disney brand is synonymous with beloved movies that the whole family can enjoy," said Craig Erwich, SVP, Head of Content, Hulu. "Expanding our offering of top-rated kids and family programming has been a top priority for us, and we know viewers will love watching these films over and over again on our service."
More than 50 movies will also be available on Hulu for the first time over the coming months, like Con Air, Step Up, Gone in 60 Seconds, Pearl Harbor, Romy and Michele's High School Reunion, The Mighty Ducks, Lilo & Stitch, Tarzan, The Emperor's New Groove, Muppet Treasure Island, and The Princess and the Frog.

Article Link: Hulu Inks Exclusive Streaming Deal With Disney, Gains 50+ New Titles

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Can you explain this?

Sarcasm. Hulu has ads while Netflix does not. For me the cost of an ad is far more than $2 a month price difference because I always need to be there when they watch something. Kids watch a lot of the same things over and over. With Netflix I can watch a movie with them the first time and then have a conversation about fiction, and the what the characters did, and if it was the right choice. Then when they watch it again I can ask about it without having to watch it with them. With Hulu I have to see it every time because I have to explain how the ad is attempting to manipulate their emotions to sell a product. Since the ads are constantly appearing, and different ones are being shown, I have to push my message about thinking about what we consume in the media that much harder to compensate for their increased presence.

If it was just me, or my spouse, it wouldn't be as big of a deal. The Disney deal is clearly interested in targeting children with advertising.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
Sarcasm. Hulu has ads while Netflix does not. For me the cost of an ad is far more than $2 a month price difference because I always need to be there when they watch something. Kids watch a lot of the same things over and over. With Netflix I can watch a movie with them the first time and then have a conversation about fiction, and the what the characters did, and if it was the right choice. Then when they watch it again I can ask about it without having to watch it with them. With Hulu I have to see it every time because I have to explain how the ad is attempting to manipulate their emotions to sell a product. Since the ads are constantly appearing, and different ones are being shown, I have to push my message about thinking about what we consume in the media that much harder to compensate for their increased presence.

If it was just me, or my spouse, it wouldn't be as big of a deal. The Disney deal is clearly interested in targeting children with advertising.

Two things-I had not considered advertising to children quite in that light before but I think you have valid concerns. And second -you must spend a lot of time explaining things to your children, especially if you are trying to show them how companies are trying to manipulate their emotions using ads. I hope your kids appreciate what you've done when they get older and have to judge for themselves.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
4jasontv, Hulu actually offers an ad-free version of their service for a few dollars more. Your problem has been solved!

This may be old information, but I thought their pay service was mostly, not completely, ad free. I don't subscribe so I may be wrong.

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
This may be old information, but I thought their pay service was mostly, not completely, ad free. I don't subscribe so I may be wrong.
There are a couple TV shows with older rights-agreements that require advertising because of the agreement. I believe those shows have an ad at the beginning and after the show, but no commercial breaks in the middle.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
4jasontv, Hulu actually offers an ad-free version of their service for a few dollars more. Your problem has been solved!

Its "mostly ad free" when you pay more. See the very last FAQ, "Will all shows and movies be commercial free?" at https://help.hulu.com/articles/52427902. It's ad free unless it isn't.
[doublepost=1482957279][/doublepost]
Two things-I had not considered advertising to children quite in that light before but I think you have valid concerns. And second -you must spend a lot of time explaining things to your children, especially if you are trying to show them how companies are trying to manipulate their emotions using ads. I hope your kids appreciate what you've done when they get older and have to judge for themselves.

We have made it part of normal discussion. When they were younger it was mostly about ensuring they could distinguish between entertainment and sales, but now that they are getting older so we get to have deeper conversations. We took the bus the other day and talked about why we saw specific adverts posted above the seats. Why would a company advertise on a bus instead of TV? Who were they trying to speak with? Yes, sometimes it's awkward, such as when they noticed a male ED drug was being advertised towards women. They have also gotten good at identifying ads in content, although I will admit that the Truman Show really helped make that point. Of course, we also have to ask them if something is actually a product placement or is simply a functional product placement as a tool to make a scene more relatable.

To be clear, we don't hate on advertising, we just want our girls to see it for what it is. It's ok to buy something because someone else convinced you that a product would be helpful if you agree it would be and it's worth the cost. We just want to be sure they can measure those things. The hardest part in managing ads today is remembering if it was a friend or an ad who told you something was good. If you hear/see it enough times it doesn't matter because all you remember is the packaging, or name, or some distinguishing feature that makes their brand less risky. I would like them to be in the habit of evaluating adverts, especially the tricky embedded ones, as soon as they are exposed to them so they have a better shot of making an unbiased decision when it comes to wanting to buy a product.

Last edited:

gim

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
I am shocked that there actually are ads on Hulu. I always was a little jealous because it's not available here. But after reading this, not so much anymore..

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I am shocked that there actually are ads on Hulu. I always was a little jealous because it's not available here. But after reading this, not so much anymore..

I have Hulu and pay for the ad-free service. As some have pointed out, there are still a few shows left that have ads, but very few. I think it maybe just ABC shows that have ads.

Also, the ads are only at the beginning of the show, not throughout.

Afaik, none of the movies have ads.

I think Netflix's service is better, but if there are some shows you want to watch right away, Hulu is clearly better.
[doublepost=1482970640][/doublepost]
By the time you add up all the streaming services, each with exclusive content, its getting close to my old cable bill.

I guess this is true for some, but at least for me, it is still cheaper to get just internet, and pay for a few streaming services.

I know this is not available in every area, but many cable companies offer Internet with a "light" tv package that usually contains a movie channel or two.

For example, Comcast had a Internet plan for 100Mbs downloads for $50. For $5 more, you could add a basic tv service that included HBO for 12 months, for another $5 you could add Showtime for 12 months.

This cuts back on the cost of streaming if you want movie channels. Just add Hulu and Netflix, and you are covered for most of the popular shows.

I know not everyone will have this particular deal, but it is worth it to show around. Especially if you are lucky enough to have more than one ISP available to you.

WRChris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Indiana

Hulu yesterday announced it has signed a multi-year licensing deal with Walt Disney Studios, which will see Hulu granted exclusive subscription video on-demand rights to a selection of Disney movies.

Hulu-copy-545.jpg

Hulu users are now able to exclusively stream popular Disney titles like The Nightmare Before Christmas, Mulan, Pocahontas, Hercules, Sister Act, and AirBud.More than 50 movies will also be available on Hulu for the first time over the coming months, like Con Air, Step Up, Gone in 60 Seconds, Pearl Harbor, Romy and Michele's High School Reunion, The Mighty Ducks, Lilo & Stitch, Tarzan, The Emperor's New Groove, Muppet Treasure Island, and The Princess and the Frog.

Article Link: Hulu Inks Exclusive Streaming Deal With Disney, Gains 50+ New Titles
Hulu needs to do something, they have only got a handful of decent shows that come on weekly and they have no good original content. That 11.99 subscription could be used elsewhere and I wouldn't miss much.

All new shows are on winter break (can't act in the cold) and Netflix has a much better/larger catalog of shows and it's cheaper.

Asdf Shrdlu

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2016
Its "mostly ad free" when you pay more. See the very last FAQ, "Will all shows and movies be commercial free?" at https://help.hulu.com/articles/52427902. It's ad free unless it isn't.
Well, for what it's worth, I've been an ad-free Hulu subscriber since the service launched, more than a year ago, and I've never encountered a TV show or movie with advertising. I can only guess that it's a very small percentage of the offerings.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Well, for what it's worth, I've been an ad-free Hulu subscriber since the service launched, more than a year ago, and I've never encountered a TV show or movie with advertising. I can only guess that it's a very small percentage of the offerings.

From what I remember when it was first announced, the ads were only going to be in a few currently airing TV shows. So it was a money grab on new hit series, not older series or movies -- so they wouldn't be in the titles added in this deal.

Reactions: Asdf Shrdlu

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Have you tried it? I have Hulu's "mostly ad free" tier, and the only commercials I ever see are attached to "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.", and amount to a single 15-20 second non-screaming commercial beforehand, and a second at the end (if you let it run). Pretty benign. They seem to only be included on a handful of shows where they can't negotiate a deal for it to be completely ad-free. (I know your situation is a bit different - you're more concerned about the content of the ads than the duration/intrusion, but most people who complain bitterly about "Hulu's ads on their supposedly ad-free tier" have never actually tried it.)

I commend you, BTW, for talking with your kids about advertising - one of the most useful things I remember from elementary school, many many years ago (it was mostly on clay tablets), was a unit we went through about the techniques of advertising ("appeal to authority" - this sports star recommends this cereal, "bandwagon" - you should buy this because all the cool kids are getting it, etc.). I feel like it kind of inoculated me against much of the potential effect of decades of advertisements.

Reactions: 4jasontv

WarHeadz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2015
Long Beach, California
Lol Romy and Michelle. Classic.

As for Hulu, far superior to Netlifx. I actually cancelled Netflix because I have no interest in their original series and their tv show selection is crap. Hulu ad-free is where it's at.

Reactions: tonyr6

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
I have ad free Hulu. Lacking is DD streaming. It's all in two channel mode so far. HULU for movies just doesn't cut it. You can't experience true 5.1 surround sound.

Reactions: ohio.emt

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
[doublepost=1482957279][/doublepost]

We have made it part of normal discussion. When they were younger it was mostly about ensuring they could distinguish between entertainment and sales, but now that they are getting older so we get to have deeper conversations. We took the bus the other day and talked about why we saw specific adverts posted above the seats. Why would a company advertise on a bus instead of TV? Who were they trying to speak with? Yes, sometimes it's awkward, such as when they noticed a male ED drug was being advertised towards women. They have also gotten good at identifying ads in content, although I will admit that the Truman Show really helped make that point. Of course, we also have to ask them if something is actually a product placement or is simply a functional product placement as a tool to make a scene more relatable.

To be clear, we don't hate on advertising, we just want our girls to see it for what it is. It's ok to buy something because someone else convinced you that a product would be helpful if you agree it would be and it's worth the cost. We just want to be sure they can measure those things. The hardest part in managing ads today is remembering if it was a friend or an ad who told you something was good. If you hear/see it enough times it doesn't matter because all you remember is the packaging, or name, or some distinguishing feature that makes their brand less risky. I would like them to be in the habit of evaluating adverts, especially the tricky embedded ones, as soon as they are exposed to them so they have a better shot of making an unbiased decision when it comes to wanting to buy a product.

Advertising can be compelling when it comes to kids. I could not avoid buying my kids this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.