Hulu unavailable - how to test/solve this on my network?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Sean Dempsey, Nov 10, 2012.

1. macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I have a problem Hulu has become so slow that it just times out when trying to watch any video.

My internet is around 50down/20up and tests fine. Hulu works great on my computer as well. It's just on the apple tv.

I currently have everything running to a gigabit switch, which plugs into a new Airport Extreme base stattion, which is set to run in bridged mode since my internet modem/router uses a NAT and needs to log in via pppoe.

How can I go about fixing, or at least figuring out, why Hulu just refuses to work? This is on 2 different Apple TV's in two different rooms, also.

2. macrumors 601

As often suggested, run a ethernet between ATV and switch, don't use WIFI.

Failing that, OK. I'd check the MTU. Normally this is 1500 bytes but there is a known problem with PPOE systems where you have to manually set MTU to something lower like 1420. I do not know if the ATV lets you manually set this item.

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Yes, it is all wired Ethernet to the switch. There is no wifi in the chain.

As far as setting MTU, where would I do this?

4. macrumors regular

Try putting your Apple TV on Wi-Fi instead of Ethernet. I know it's counter-intuitive, but there is apparently a bug in the latest Apple TV software version that makes it work poorly over Ethernet. I have experienced similar problems, and switching to Wi-Fi has helped noticeably. I plan to switch back to Ethernet if/when Apple fixes this bug.