Human Interface Device Causing Major Error

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brsboarder, Dec 6, 2006.

1. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

So, my ibook g4 has been causing major problems for me. Basically, the file systems have been corrupted 3 times and disk warrior has to be used to repair the system, and I've lost all my information these times. It happened yestarday after I inserted a cd and tried to burn it, although this time instead of getting a question mark on boot, it would hang on the grey apple screen then shut down.

I brought it to apple, they were able to recover my files and said that the only thing they saw was that a human interface device was causing the problems. I only use a bluetooth mouse/keyboard. in my usb, i have an external dvd drive and hard drive. They mentioned it could be my physical keyboard. Is there a way to check for this? Right now, I can't afford to send in my computer because I need it for finals, so if it happens again, I'm just going to reformat the drive again. Any advice?

2. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

there have to be some geniuses out there that can help

3. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Filesystems don't corrupt 3 times for nothing. It sounds like you have a hard drive going bad. If you don't want to send it in, you can plug in an external FW Hard Drive (even an iPod that uses FW) and use that as your primary HD until you can get it fixed.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I don't remember ever hearing such a thing.

Use the Console application in the Utilities folder to check the system.log file periodically. There may be some error that shows up there.

Other than that, as long as you're not using hacks/customisations, you should be okay.

5. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

my hard drive was replaced after the first time

6. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a