Humera approved by FDA for treating Crohn's!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yellow, Mar 13, 2007.

1. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

http://www.ccfa.org/reuters/humira?msource=HQ0703DMENWS&tr=y&auid=2446124

WooHoo!!!

2. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Good news. Heh, the two guys at MacRumors who are affected by this announcement can celebrate. :D

3. yellow thread starter Moderator emeritus

yellow

Pretty much. :)

Though I did start Remicade last week. Next treatment next week. So far.. no change.
    But it was my treatment of last resort. There was nothing else I could do.. but NOW there is more hope!

[​IMG]

Everybody Cabbage Patch!

4. larsonel macrumors newbie

Humira seems to be working well for me.

I am currently taking Humira for Chrones. I've tried Remicade but could not tolerate it. I am happy and active. Ask me about Chrones Disease if you have questions I consider myself to be an expert. P.S. I am new here and have all kinds of interests, this looks like an interesting site. Larsonel

5. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

^^^^^ Makes three. Add my sister and you have a vicarious fourth. That's like .0004% of the Crohn's population!:eek:

6. CarolAZ macrumors newbie

:confused:
    Hello, I also have crohn's disease, my question is I am on Imuran; have u heard of it? Was told need to get off of it and go on Humira. From what I have read, Humira is not that old to use for Crohn's. I see many side effects of the use of this injection . I recently developed Neuropathy, and two Dr's said it could be from Imuran. I find no indication of that on the Web, Nor from the Neuropathy Center that just became the 5th largest in the U.S. They had an open house this past Friday, and the Doctors there said they never heard of Imuran causing Neuropathy. What do you think of that? I am so confused by all these doctors, one says this, one says another. By the way, my crohns was out of remission in April, was on Predisone until 3 weeks ago. But I find nothing on that drug either causing my new problem.

Thank you for anything you can give me on this.Anyone who can help me on this is welcome to

CarolAZ

7. yellow thread starter Moderator emeritus

yellow

First off, I am not a doctor.

Imuran is akin to Mercaptapurine (6-MP) in that it's an immuno-suppressant. Crohn's patients seem to have immune systems that go into overdrive. MDs typically use Immuran or 6-MP to help suppress the immune system, which effectively puts us back at "normal" immuno levels.

For those of us taking Remicade, currently the belief that continued use of immuno-suppressors helps reduce the chance of developing antibodies to the mouse protein used in the drug.

Because Humira is basically the same drug, only it uses human anti-bodies, it may not be necessary to dose with immuno-supressors. Though I suspect that an MD might want to keep a patient on it.

I don't know about the side effects of immuran.

Unfortunately, patients typically end up knowing more about the disease, the drugs, and the treatments than the doctors, because they live with it every day. If you are not currently a member, you might want to take a peek at the Crohn's And Colitis Foundation of America's website:

http://www.ccfa.org

There's a lot of good information there to empower you into getting the best care possible.