Hummer to be wound down

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Lord Blackadder, Feb 24, 2010.

1. macrumors G4

Lord Blackadder

Negotiations for sale to a Chinese company have broken down, and GM now plans to wind down the brand. There's still a chance someone will jump in and grab them, of course.

As a car enthusiast, I have strong opinions about automobiles and my opinions are almost entirely negative when it comes to Hummer. The original Humvee actually makes the most sense, because it was really a heavy duty truck, and had the rugged cachet of being a real military vehicle. If that's what floats your boat.

But the H2 and H3 were always poseur SUVs that were just dolled up GM pickups (which are themselves credible off-road vehicles, but why not just get a Z71 2500HD then?). I'm not a big fan of SUVs but if you have to have one, a much better option would be a 4Runner at the low end or an LR4/RangeRover at the high end.

Nope, good riddance, the brand became an embarrassing parody of the original.

2. macrumors Core

miles01110

I thought they already wound production down due to the high gas prices a year or two ago followed by the recession?

3. macrumors 68030

RaceTripper

Good riddance to it. Just yesterday some arrogant douche in a H2 decided to ride my ass because I wasn't moving fast enough for him, despite the fact I was boxed into my lane. Easily, 90% of the bad and dangerous driving I observe on the road are SUV drivers. :(

I guess stock for the chrome 27" wheel market will plummet. :rolleyes:

I guess the "Hummer Escape Pod" badge on my MINI is no longer relevant. :p

4. thread starter macrumors G4

Lord Blackadder

I think the recession did hit them hard, but I'm not sure they were doing great even before that.

It is certain that they were a drain on GM's resources though.

5. macrumors 65816

juanm

The good news is two-fold: Hummer goes down, and you can still buy the original Humvee (through licencees, that is)

6. macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

Much rather have a Range Rover. Preferably Overfinch.

7. thread starter macrumors G4

Lord Blackadder

Who makes the original Humvee for civilian sale (unless you're referring to the Chines copy)?

IF I had a lot of property out in the sticks, I'd love to have a military surpus, beater Humvee to bomb around in A pickup model with the fabric doors.

Overfinches are sick money. I'd rather have an Aston plus a fully optioned out Tacoma for off-road work, and a new Fiat 500 with the leftover change...

8. macrumors 68000

do any of you own a hummer or ever even rode in a hummer H1, H2, or H3?

I am pretty familiar with the H3 and it is a great vehicle. I do know the H2 was way too big to be practical, but the size of the H3 for normal chores is great and its a much better value than the range rover. You can get a decently used hummer h3 for less than 25,000.

9. thread starter macrumors G4

Lord Blackadder

I've only ever ridden in an original (H1), and an H2. The original, is, well, a big truck, and it rides like one. The H2 feels less less stiff but it's no easier to drive than the heavy-duty pickups it's based on. And ooooh, the styling. Fingers on a chalkboard for me.

For the money I think there are better options for either rossovers/softroaders or off-road trucks/SUVs. Hummers cost a premium for a certain "style", and many people find that style a bit vulgar and ostentatious.

10. macrumors 65816

strider42

The original humvee is made by AM general. Gm just licensed the name hummer from them. Am general still made the H1 for gm, though the h2 and h3 were entirely GM creations. I don't know if Am general sells humvees to the public direct though ( end even if they do, they are ridiculously expensive)

11. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

12. macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Hopefully all of Government Motors will go the way of the Hummer.

13. thread starter macrumors G4

Lord Blackadder

Civilian sales of the H1 ended a few years ago. As far as I'm aware, AM General only does military contracts these days.

During the last few years of production, I think the base price on an H1 was well over $100,000. :eek:

14. macrumors 6502

That brand can't disappear fast enough, as far as I'm concerned.

Of course, now the overcompensating, overwealthy, slimeball douchebag men will have to spend their money on something else... wah...

(Not saying all Hummer owners/drivers fit that bill, but those types certainly seem to be drawn to the brand...)

15. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Oh no! What will Horatio and the rest of the CSI: Miami CSIs drive? :D

16. macrumors 68040

entatlrg

The H3 is a GREAT truck and the BEST on gas in it's class, ignorance is bliss, LOL.

It's a little 5 cylinder motor geared just right, enough power to pull a boat and for it's size and comparable SUV or Pick Up Truck counterparts it's great on gas.

So what's the problem with the H3. Jealousy, or the false stigma attached to it. Obviously it's there and even when the economy turned GM couldn't explain it's way out of it with there "Think it's a gas guzzler, think again" campaign.

When times are (perceived) to be good everyone is spending money, buying toys and into 'maximumism' as soon as the economy goes for a dumper then it's all about minimalism ... because no one has money of course then it can't be cool to have nice or excessive things, lol.

H3 is 5 cylinder better on gas than Toyota, Range Rover, Jeep, Pathfinder, Ford F150, Cadillac cars, some BMW's and more so what's the problem?

H2 yes, it's a tank of a vehicle VERY expensive to maintain and very poor on gas mileage ... $200.00 to fill the tank on one of those....

It's a shame to see the H3 go, preconceived notions, ignorance killed it, would of been better to see it go green/hybrid and GM could have touted it as the first drive big/drive green Hummer ... the technology is there, automakers won't show it ... they like us burning gas ....

m2c

17. macrumors 68020

leomac08

Someday 6000 pound vehicles and V-10 or V-12 engines will not exist.

The Hummer became a hit in the early 2000's.....but according to wikipedia....since 2003, Hummer sold some 30,000 Hummer's in 2003....then in 2009...Hummer sold only around 8,000.

18. macrumors 6502

TheBonk

Hallelujah! The last thing we need is MORE women driving a Hummer while putting on make-up.

19. Guest

Surely

But I like hummers..... no one tell the women!!

Ohhh...... Hummers.... nm......

20. macrumors 68040

obeygiant

21. macrumors G5

yg17

22. macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Too big and ungainly a thing for civilian road use. There really is no need for it, though that's coming from a UK PoV where we have a lot less space in general to manoeuvre around. Still wouldn't want one if I was in the US.

23. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Oh yeah, what's another couple of million unemployed? :rolleyes:

24. macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I'm sure their union will find a way to fix things for them.

25. macrumors 603

quagmire

How? Ford and Chrysler won't be able to absorb them and the foreign transplant plants are doing everything they can to keep their plants from unionizing. They have no where to go.

And explain this me. Why do you want to see GM go under so badly? Especially when their products are improving. Why do you want to see any company to go under? Wouldn't you hope that they improve instead? Competition is good. What did GM do to you personally that you want them to die? I don't wish Toyota and Honda to go under even though I doubt I will ever see myself buying cars from them. They are keeping Ford and GM on their toes and have to strive to be the best. If it wasn't for Toyota and Honda we will most likely be seeing GM and Ford still putting out crappy vehicles.

Why do you people wish to see the American auto industry to die so badly? Shouldn't you wish for them to improve instead?