Hummers why?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Fearless Leader, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

why do people drive hummers or other large SUV's? If you know someone who does or do yourself why?

It drives, no pun intended, me crazy to see a single person in huge SUV's.

This isn't a intended to be a place to criticize but i just want to know why.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Maybe they are compensating for something.... :)

3. johnmartin78 macrumors regular

johnmartin78

Same reason people smoke cigarettes...makes you look cool >.>

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

People need the space to buy groceries and pick up the kids from school.

Bah...what do you know. Anyone who doesn't think SUVs are necessary for so many people obviously grew up at a time where you didn't buy as much groceries because people didn't eat as much, and when couples only had 1 child. If you did, you'd understand how wonderful today's technology is. Imagine not having a 350 hp car to "tow" 7, 8, and sometimes even 9 bags of groceries home while still carrying home two.....yes, TWO 35 kg children. Some families even have a dog.

5. Josephkyles macrumors regular

Wow! You do sarcasm great!

6. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

7. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

While logically it doesn't make sense, my sister bought an Expedition after she got into an accident where her vehicle rolled. She said she felt safer being in a larger vehicle. It's actually come in handy since then since she married a man with a few children and they've had to haul the kids and various sports equipment/camping equipment to various places. It definitely comes in handy when we get together for familyh reunions.

8. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

That's what I was thinking. :D

9. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I ask myself that same question on occasion. We have upscale suburban neighborhoods, which have zero reason to have large, 4WD SUV's parked in every driveway. Yet, there they are. I do not live in them (thank God). I get a laugh when I see a 'soccer mom', all decked out for a shopping spree with 'the girls', and unable to crawl out of her 20' high SUV without giving up a fine show of her thong.

SUV's are the status vehicles in our region. Bloody waste of money if you ask me. When gas is > $2.50/gallon, and these beasts get 8-12 MPG (some even worse), I suppose the status is being able to afford to drive the thing.

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Who knows, maybe some folks just like driving SUVs/Hummers.

Some people like motor boats and some like sailboats.

Some like PCs and some like Macs.

etc.

:D

11. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Sure she feels safe inside the tank, but what about the other drivers on the road? What happens when something that obnoxiously large is involved in an accident with say, a Honda Civic?

:p

12. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

The intended purpose of the Hummer was for off-road enthusiast and businesses that operated in the sticks. There was much interest from the off-road community for this truck when they saw the Humvee in operation desert storm. GM got greedy and made the H2. It cost a lot less than the H1 and brought in more money. I'm guessing it just caught on as a status symbol and the H2 dominated the H1 in sales. Therefore GM discontinued the H1 even though it was still selling, but just no where near the sales of the H2.

I have the documentary somewhere along with like every Hummer commercial and news article ever. I used to be obsessed with the truck until they came out with the H3.

13. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

But isn't that they whole mentality of the kind of people who would drive these anyway?

"I can afford it... so ---k all y'all. And ---k the environment while I'm at it."

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Status symbol for the most part.

I guess no one told your sister that one of the disadvantages to getting an SUV is that they are more prone to rolling over than cars are.

Lethal

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

No SUV can make up that shortfall, it takes a fast sports car -- or a fat wallet.

16. Fearless Leader thread starter macrumors 68020

If i were into the whole status symbol thing I'd rather be driving a nice car, not a tank on wheels.

17. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Ooooo, you're just adrip with moral superiority!!!!:rolleyes:

Which is a damn good reason not to buy a Honda Civic!

And what is the mentality of someone who would burn the electricity to fire up a computer and go online to be judgemental about other peoples mentalities???!!!

18. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

It's "Marketing" talking to the "ego"

Gotta' have this, gotta' have that, solutions to problems that don't exist.

Do ya' feel the love? :mad: :cool:

19. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Because they love paying 5 miles to the gallon, what else? :p

20. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Who's judging? Just trying to get to the bottom of the mystery that is ridiculously oversized vehicles.

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

C'mon it is obvious, this is America, and Americans need large cars they can grow into.

A little car can be as uncomfortable for their growing asses as those old clothes from high school.

Plus the small cars don't have the torque to haul around their inflated egos.

22. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Spot. On.

23. Fearless Leader thread starter macrumors 68020

winner I like this one the most.

24. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Oh, I'm sorry, how could I have mistaken this scorn laden comment as anything other than a heartfelt search for the truth?????:rolleyes: ;) :mad: :confused: :eek: :apple:

If you're going to be a judgemental CB, as least have the testicular fortitude to own up to it, and don't try to play the innocent card when someone calls a spade a spade!

25. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

If a Civic wants to go head to head with her while she's trying to be a careful driver, then that's the fault of the Civic (we drive a Civic, by the way). She didn't get the larger car because she felt like she'd be safe when driving recklessly (albeit even the most careful drivers can make mistakes)--she wanted to feel safe in the event that someone else was driving recklessly. Those that really do think they are immune and can drive however they want just because their car is bigger, labeled as safer, or whatever are clearly mistaken. However, even cars that are the same/similar size are not equal in terms of safety. There are always risks involved when it comes to accidents. Wouldn't you want to instictively try and increase your odds of survival in the off-chance that you have to face such an unfortunate event? Look, I didn't say that I agreed with her initial reasoning for wanting the larger vehicle, I just stated that that was one of the reasons why she, personally, wanted it.

I think she also had some idea of how else it would be useful down the road. She also had to tote a lot of cargo around for her job and it would've been difficult in a sedan. Since she actually totes much more than just herself (especially these days with a family) in that vehicle the space it takes up is put to better use. When the cargo and/or seat space isn't needed, they do have a Prius--she's not so irrational in her need for space that she absolutely has to drive her SUV at all times.

These vehicles have instances where they come in handy. If they can be made to be more efficient then by all means do so. I'm all for the hybrid technology that Toyota and company have been working on.

With that said, those that just drive these vehicles just for the status are, in my opinion, wasteful. However, those that actually put the space to good use cannot be classed with the finger-to-the-world group.