Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
Eating Sabra's Hummus with Roasted Pine Nuts. Had the Roasted Garlic and Lemon before. Yum!!

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Yeah... I perfer to keep it simple... Mesquite Chicken from Costco anyone?

highres

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2005
Near the Singularity
Eating Sabra's Hummus with Roasted Pine Nuts. Had the Roasted Garlic and Lemon before. Yum!!

Only fresh hummus from someone that truly knows how to make it get's my endorsement. Once its been packaged and sits in the deli case for a while the lemon juice goes bad and the hummus takes on a bitter or sour taste.

I guess I'm a hummus snob and recovering hummus addict and have been spoiled by great hummus?

There is a Lebanese/Mediterranean restaurant in L.A. called Gaby's Mediterranean that has the freshest and tastiest hummus on the planet. Since I moved up here to Santa Cruz I miss it terribly and might make a pilgrimage down there just for the hummus...Is that pathetic?

I've never tried Sabra's, is it the real deal? If so I will give it a try.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
Only fresh hummus from someone that truly knows how to make it get's my endorsement. Once its been packaged and sits in the deli case for a while the lemon juice goes bad and the hummus takes on a bitter or sour taste.

I guess I'm a hummus snob and recovering hummus addict and have been spoiled by great hummus?

There is a Lebanese/Mediterranean restaurant in L.A. called Gaby's Mediterranean that has the freshest and tastiest hummus on the planet. Since I moved up here to Santa Cruz I miss it terribly and might make a pilgrimage down there just for the hummus...Is that pathetic?

I've never tried Sabra's, is it the real deal? If so I will give it a try.

I guess I haven't been spoiled with "real" hummus. Hmm, the first two I have tried did taste a bit sour. I don't think you wouldn't want to give it a try.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
The pinenut version sounds good! Your post has reawakened my desire for hummus...Now I have to get some. :cool:

I never knew what hummus was until two of my friends told me it was delicious and that they could live off just eating it. :D

highres

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2005
Near the Singularity
I never knew what hummus was until two of my friends told me it was delicious and that they could live off just eating it. :D

You may have already tried it, if you like hummus you also might like baba ganouj, it is usually served with the hummus and dolmas at good lebanese or greek restaurants along with fresh warm pita bread to scoop it up with...:)

...that's it, your thread has successfully givin' me the munchies, gonna go have to rummage through the kitchen and fridge and see what's edible now! :rolleyes:

Ah, hummus is delicious. I'm particularly fond of the fresh stuff, but it's hard to find, and I'm too lazy to make it.

sums up my situation exactly, love the fresh stuff, am too lazy to make it from scratch and the only local greek place that makes it fresh is closed...:mad:

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
You may have already tried it, if you like hummus you also might like baba ganouj, it is usually served with the hummus and dolmas at good lebanese or greek restaurants along with fresh warm pita bread to scoop it up with...:)

Definitely, I love Baba Ganouj even more than hummus! It's roasted eggplant (peeled and seeded), a little lemon juice, garlic that has been poached in milk, salt, pepper, some tahini, and olive oil pureed in the food processor until smooth.

I made some over Christmas because I was having a baba craving.

highres

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2005
Near the Singularity
Definitely, I love Baba Ganouj even more than hummus! It's roasted eggplant (peeled and seeded), a little lemon juice, salt, pepper, some tahini, and olive oil pureed in the food processor until smooth.

I made some over Christmas because I was having a baba craving.

I can almost taste it from your excellent description. It's the combination of olive oil and the pureed roasted eggplant that just kills me, especially if there is a little extra warm olive oil pooled up around the edges of the little serving dish!

Wow...this thread is almost painful now...

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Wow...this thread is almost painful now...

haha :D , well I was going to say its so easy to make but taking the seeds out of the eggplant sucks. Normally, I'm all for heirloom veggies but if someone comes up with a seedless eggplant, I'd be all over that.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Humous?

Make your own! It really is easy! The ingredients shouldn't be too hard to find, think the sesame seed oil might the trickiest.

And if you dont like how it tastes, add a little of the other ingredients - make a big batch and freeze whats left over :)

I presume you all add Olive Oil on top as you serve with warmed pitta bread...

F

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
You all have no idea...

I'm in Jerusalem right now (studying abroad here in Israel for the year) and yesterday, I was in the shuk (outdoor-ish market) Machane Yehuda and I bought what was advertised as the "best hummus in the city".

I had some, and, quite literally, it is THE best hummus I have ever had. I've had pre-packaged hummus, Sabra hummus, Trader Joe's hummus, fresh hummus from little cafés and restaurants from San Francisco to L.A. to New York to Washington, D.C. to Athens to Tel Aviv, but this hummus was the best hummus I've ever tasted. So flavorful, yet not too tangy, and so smooth yet not too smooth. Words cannot even describe it.

Period.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
As a side note...if any of you get the chance to come to Israel or the Middle East, I seriously recommend it, if just for the food!

I'm sure you've all had falafel and gyros, but you're missing out so much! Shwarma is undoubtedly the best food ever, but its closely followed by things like kabobs (different from what you're probably familiar with), laffa (sooooooooo much better than pita), harif...I could go on and on!

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I like the Humous with Red Peppers they do in Sainsbury's. Ate so much of the stuff I turned into a chick pea :)

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I used to hate hummus!

Now I love it and occasionally make it from scratch

phungy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
Yes! It's revived! Anyways, I'm about to eat some Garlic hummus with Low Sodium Triscuits. Yumm.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Hee. I'm not really a foodie. :eek:

But I loves me some Trader Joe's organic hummus. That one tastes better than their standard hummus (slightly different ingredients that make a huge difference in taste).

Eat 'em w/ Trader Joe's mini pita bread thingies. :D Yummmy.

iRachel

macrumors 6502a
Hee. I'm not really a foodie. :eek:

But I loves me some Trader Joe's organic hummus. That one tastes better than their standard hummus (slightly different ingredients that make a huge difference in taste).

Eat 'em w/ Trader Joe's mini pita bread thingies. :D Yummmy.

As I was reading this thread, I started thinking about Trader Joe's hummus and the mini-pitas! Love them as a quick snack during the day. I think I like the roasted garlic hummus the best.

I've never tried making my own - anybody have a simple recipe I could try?

i make the best hummus.

Prove it. My shipping address is.....

Kidding, but do you have any secrets you can pass on? I have never been happy with mine, and it is a pretty standard recipe. Chickpeas, sesami tahini paste, fresh lemon juice, garlic (raw or roasted), salt & pepper. And a food processor to buzz it all together with.

I can't suggest a recipe, though, because I am not happy with the batches I have made. They just never seem to come together "just so."

I have also flavored with dill, spices, etc. I just don't have the proportions and the texture right. :eek:

Of course, I wolf it down anyway, sometimes with warm garlic Naan (probably spelled wrong) ....

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
One thing that I do when making hummus is I poach the garlic in milk before blending. Take 3 or 4 cloves of garlic and cover them with milk and simmer for about 15 minutes untll the garlic is soft, then throw in the blender/quisinart.
Also be careful not to add too much tahini or it will make the hummus kind of dull.
To help with texture: make sure you blend for long enough or it won't be really smooth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.