humor: if Jesus were fielded as a candidate

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

2. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

That's pretty funny. Wrong in so many ways, but funny.

I heard something on the radio a couple of months ago about which candidate Jesus would support. The conclusion was that Jesus was the ultimate "bleeding heart liberal".

Someone more skilled in the art of photoshopery should put together one from Kerry. Jesus is pro-life, skipped out on the fight against the Romans because of his father's connections, led the people by doing what "God" told him to do, claims to be for the common man yet obviously has connections to some major higher-ups, comes from the most powerful family in the universe.
    Jesus,
    anti-women's rights,
    draft-dodger,
    religious zealot,
    a true power elite.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That's pretty good (the ad).

You'd have to stretch the truth a lot to make the opposite point, though. Jesus, who rejected all the power offered to him by Satan in the desert, who made the ultimate sacrifice for all of us, a draft-dodging elitist? I don't think that works.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

If Jesus were running for president he would have sounded a lot like Dennis Kucinich. Of course hopefully he would be better looking, and maybe a little taller than DK...

5. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I think it works because it's a joke. I don't actually feel that Jesus was a draft dodging elitist, but it's funny if you only mention that he avoided physical confrontation against the Roman's and that his dad is super powerful. Get it? (It makes him seem like Bush).

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Trouble is, it doesn't work: the original version raises powerful ethical questions about the Administration's flavour of "muscular Christianity" in particular, and about whether capitalism and Christianity are compatible or mutually exclusive in general.

Nice try, though... ;)

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Y'know, I'm looking at the original ad, and I'm convinced it's funnier without the header. The top of it gives the gag away right away, whereas if you just start from panel 1, you kind of guess where the joke is going, but the Bush/Cheney plug at the end is a little more surprising and therefore funnier.