Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purplehaze

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
Actually, I think this thread is wholly wrong.

From my own experience (and from reading these forums) there's a significant body of mac users who are dripping with arrogance, snobbery and elitism.

That's not to say they are bad people, but their objectivity does have to be questioned. It seems that they identify themself with their macs and are threatened by any criticism of apple and/or the mac community. Consequently, there's a lot of "troll-baiting" and group hugging going on in here.

There's no doubt that macs are more stylish and better built than pcs, and I'll admit that this is one of the reasons I want to switch, but loyalty or allegiance with the apple brand is someone I just can't understand.

One quick glance at any mac forum will tell you that mac zealots are alive and kicking. edesign's got it right - you're just as bad as each other...

crossed-over

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2002
Indy
Right, but if you refer to the original post, the point of this thread is that we don't actually go out and antagonize PC users, as they do us, we tend to keep it in-house such as the original story states. We defend ourselves, nonetheless, when antagonized, but I don't know too many mac users who would whip out their pb or ibook in front of a random pc-wielding stranger and boast, "now this is a laptop".

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
It is well known psychology that blokes especially feel obligated to justify their purchase if the price tag seems a bit on the high side. You know, like when you paid $10 for a CD and your mate says, "Could have got that for $9.25 down the road." You say, "But you want to see the chick who sold me this CD for $10, it was worth the extra." You know that is a BS argument, but that is how minds work.

The thing with Macs though, you pay a bit more than you would for a PC, but you have undeniably got your money's worth, so you can keep quiet, albeit smug. It really can do all the things that the Cupertino marketing people flogged at you. And when people cant work out where the CD tray is, it would be rude not to indicate a slot loading drive. And when, in my case, my housemate dumps a tin colored paving slab on the desk, and says, "Doesnt it look like a Powerbook" and then fires up the turbines, why shouldnt I be able to just open the 5mm thick lid on my 1" thin computer and wake up 23 projects while PC man prioritises which essential software he is going to download from Kazaa because his Mac lookalike came preloaded with basically nothing of use.

brianellisrules

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2003
Re: Humorous little story

Originally posted by crossed-over
silent about our beloved machines, because we just know we have a better computer. However, you always hear about PC users "bashing" macs and trying to pick fights with mac users.
:rolleyes:

You're joking, right?

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Originally posted by crossed-over
Right, but if you refer to the original post, the point of this thread is that we don't actually go out and antagonize PC users, as they do us, we tend to keep it in-house such as the original story states. We defend ourselves, nonetheless, when antagonized, but I don't know too many mac users who would whip out their pb or ibook in front of a random pc-wielding stranger and boast, "now this is a laptop".
I'm with crossed-over. Mac users are notorious for bashing Windows, Windows users, and for their irrational defense of Apple and their products. If you ask me personally, when I do it I think it's because it's justified, but there are plenty who take it a step too far as well.

That said, I agree completely with the original poster that, in my personal experience, Mac users just don't do that. I've never once (personally) seen a Mac user go out of his/her way to antagonize a PC user without provocation like that, approaching a stranger to do so. Maybe it's because a lot of us feel insecure being alone in a big, bad PC world, but I just don't see it happening.

On the other hand, I've seen plenty of PC users feeling the uncontrollable need to go out of their way to insult Mac users they don't even know, and for no good reason whatsoever.

I'll bash Wintel but I sure won't do it unless it's provoked, or somebody asks for my opinion. As for my response when a PC user feels the need to take a potshot at me, it's easy: "What do you actually do with your computer?" Never met anybody who can match half of the list I have.

raptorhigh

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2003
I've gone through 3 OS stages in my lifetime:

Windows- I bashed Windows

Linux - I bashed Windows

Mac (current)- Guess what... I'm still bashing Windows

stoid

macrumors 601
One of my friends here on campus once made the argument that since his PC runs loud, hot, and is really fat that he knows there are parts in there.

I challenged him to a benchmark test of his choice. Note: this is my 15 AluBook at 1.25 Ghz vs his 2.7 GHz Wintel slab. My laptop soundly whips the spit out of his and I say, "That's how I know my laptop has parts in it."

pinto32

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2003
PA
hmmm....while there are always going to be some crazy zelots in any grop, I still agree with the majoity of you taht Mac-users are more layed-back about arguing thier computing choice. One notable exception however, is when people on both sides try to switch people:
Mac users generally will ask how you do something on the PC, and then show the easy way on the Mac. Also, its fun to brag about the reliabilit, etc. Some surely do misinterpret this as arrogance, but it is simply our way of "showing them the light."
When PC users try to state thier case, on the otehr hand, it isnt through demonstation or bragging....it is by insults...."you cant do anything with it"..."its crap"......"Steve Jobs is crazy".....you get the idea....

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by 7on
I use vpc to run Partypoker.com myself

Try out pokerroom.com...Thats mac compatible as its browser based.

hey do you know "sniper" on partypoker?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.