Hundreds killed in stampede near Baghdad mosque

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vniow, Aug 31, 2005.

1. vniow macrumors G4

:(

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsa...2035Z_01_DIT131351_RTRIDST_0_NEWS-IRAQ-DC.XML

2. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

Wow that is pretty tragic, what a disaster...The rumor of a suicide bomber was way more effective in terms of causing terror and death than an actual bomb would have been. People throwing themselves off the bridge? Mostly women and children? What a horrible image... :(

3. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

What an awful, tragic event :( I wonder if it was planed or if someone really did think that there was a bomber.

4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

could this be used as a tactic now i wonder? that is, if the insurgents or whoever say "well, i don't even have to kill myself to hurt people, i can just start rumors of a bomber"... hmm. sad day for sure. i doubt it will get much coverage, despite being nearly 1/3 of sept 11th fatalities already

5. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

The cable news networks were covering it this morning while I was watching, but I have the feeling that U.S. news will continue to be dominated by coverage of the aftermath of Katrina.

6. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

This certainly could set a new precedent, like you said jello "people just starting a rumor of a bomber" without the suicide part of the equation.

For instance if this were started in high-rise skyscraper, all kinds of terrible things could happen, doesn't need to be next to a bridge or river, this could have occurred in a football stadium or crowded venue anywhere suicide atttacks have occurred and where people are afraid of them happening.

I can't recall from recent memory anything like this happening, maybe someone else on the forums may know of an incident where a panic or rumor killed so many people without the actual attack taking place?

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

terrorism isn't just violence, it's the fear that it causes because of the threat of more.

AQ et. al. can quite easily cause this country to fearspend its way into bankruptcy. e.g. leave a backpack on a subway platform in chicago and watch the city take a $1 million hit in emergency response and lost productivity.

the only way we can hope to defeat terrorism is to remove its root causes; poking the bear only adds to the entropy, and we can't beat entropy.

8. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

This disaster truly emphasizes the "terror" in terrorism. Mass hysteria or panic can have far reaching consequences, like vniow stated how we have "fear spent" our way into bankruptcy, etc. Many people just react without thinking and the damage that that causes can be catastrophic.

9. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

oi! i coined that term!

11. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

As tragic an event as this is, the apathetical way in which people have responded is even more tragic.

Personally I am suffering from shock fatigue, but if this were Berlin, London, or Sydney, I get the feeling that there would be a lot more of a response.

It is an indicator of the level of fear that still exists in Iraq though. Maybe a level of fear that continues to grow, who knows, my government tells me that I should be content with the fact that schools are being built.

Whether people feel safe enough to send their kids to American built school and what they will be taught there is just stuff I shouldn't bother myself with.

Well, maybe not if I weren't after all moved by the fact that nearly a thousand people died today in a country that we have supposedly saved. Guess I was wrong.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

13. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Sorry; due to bad timing, I think most liberal energy is being focused on figuring out how to blame Bush for Hurricane Katrina.

14. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

with conservative energy being focused on figuring out how to blame gays for it.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Major Hurricane Determined To Strike US. ;)

16. mac-er macrumors 65816

No one is trying to blame him for it.

We are trying to hold him responsbile for his multitude of lies. The government is not ready for any large scale diaster.

This is chaos.

I wish he'd just stop going on vacation...everytime he does...something bad happens. :)