hung over at work

Discussion in 'Community' started by mgargan1, Aug 22, 2005.

1. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

yea, I got my wisdom teeth out the other day and last night i was trying to numb the pain with a few drinks. Well, i ended up having a few too many, and now I'm completely hung over at work. I DON'T want to be here at all.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Go out and have some stodgy food for brunch/lunch... that is, if you can hold food down. :D

Something that involves carbs and all major fat groups, chased down by sweet hot tea.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Normally I'd probably laugh at you but I've had a very similar day. :eek:

Can I second the stodgy-food recommendation. :)

I hope you feel better soon.

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Careful with too much coffee or tee if you don't drink lots of other fluids as dehydration is your biggest enemy at the moment. So, drink lots of water and/or soda, get a cup of coffee/tee for the "kick", eat the biggest bag of plain salty chips/crisps you can get hold of and then continue drinking water/soda.

5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

why not use the wisdom teeth pulling to get out of work?

6. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

go find a plate of bacon, eggs, and whole wheat toast... nothing better :D

and i agree- tell work you're sick, major surgery, can't stay at work ;)

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Nothing worse... except when you arrive at work slightly drunk and the hangover kicks in at lunchtime (except that you can then plead food poisoning from the canteen). I recall getting a 7am flight back from Frankfurt after being out in Sachsenhausen until 4am and going straight to the office only for the hangover to kick in at about 12.

Stodge and liquid is the best bet, eaten/sipped slowly not gulped down onto that queasy stomach. A couple of paracetemol probably wouldn't go amiss either.

8. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

Oh I hear ya--this thread was funny to see! I have a headache from a few drinks last night too..i don't normally drink but since my boyfriend dumped me I have been going out a lot lately! And Applespider, the other day I arrived drunk at work...then about 11:00am I started to sober up and felt guilty, hungover, and completely exhausted. :)

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm sorry to hear about your boyfriend macartistkel. :(

10. iGary Guest

iGary

Just make yourself puke and then go home.

Works every time.

11. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

Thanks Mad Jew! Its a rough time for me right now...I am glad that I found this forum to keep me occupied during my breaks at work. I really start feeling bad thinking about how much I miss him--especially during the work days.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

why not try to numb the pain with a few asprin? Safer and you won't feel nearly as bad!

Although after a weekend of drinking I think I've come to work still a bit on the intoxicated side. For me though, I've only had one hangover in my life...and that is a life full of drinking with buddies.

13. mgargan1 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgargan1

yea, in hindsight that would have been a better choice. But asprin/acetomenophin/ibuprofen usually doesn't do anything for me. But I'm sure it would be better than this feeling I have now. I'm going to leave after lunch

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I remember when I had my wisdoms pulled out. All I remember was that I was feeling pretty damn high, going to my parents business with gauzes all over my face laughing my ass off. Next day I was fine, no pain what so ever.

As for being hung over, I experienced that yesterday. Woke up, looked at how much of that handle of Bacardi was gone and wondered what the hell happened. Drinking rum and cokes all night while smoking Cohiba's never does the body good.

jon

15. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Drink as much water as you can stomach.

Also, they recomend you don't drink or smoke for at least a week following surgury... :)

16. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I try eating a baguette, the size of Popeye's forearm, stuffed with bacon, sausage and egg; washed down with full-sugar 500ml bottle of Coke.

But seeing as neither of those options exactly suit your post-wsdom removal condition, try walking around the building holding folders and papers, looking busy and generally making your presence noted... then find a nice dark and quiet fire escape to get a couple of hours sleep.

In no time at all it will be time to go and people would think you were in a meeting all afternoon. ;)

17. iGav macrumors G3

18. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Only if it contains acetominophen, iirc.

What the OP needs is apple juice. Replenish your electrolytes.

It does always amuse me that the biggest posting hours on this site are during normal work hours.

19. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I actually did this last time I went to work hung over. Went into an office we don't use anymore, turned off the lights and passed out. I was good to go in no time.

jon

20. bartelby macrumors Core

The key is to drink absolutely sh*t loads, then not get much sleep.
    That way your back in work while the effects are still wearing off.
    So you can combat any signs of a hangover as it appears.
    With careful planning these effects start appearing just as you start drinking again the following evening! ;)

EDIT: I'll read the whole thread next time....

21. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Well living in a fraternity there is always someone partying at night an getting drunk. The other night one of our guys drank till probably 5 in the morning. Woke up the next day to drive a rushee back to his dorm. Campus police pulled him over (can't remember why). Cop decided to give him a breathalyzer, blew a .04 and got a DUI, all at 10:30 AM.

All I could was laugh. So maybe drinking all night then going to work is a bad idea if your driving :)

jon

22. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

The only thing that cures me on those sort of days is a nice greasy fast-food type of breakfast. I hate fast-food but it seems to be the cure all for me.

23. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

*cough* Alcho!! *cough*

Ugh, makes me ill just thinking about that actually. :eek:

24. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Thankfully I've only been in that position once... and accidentally. We were supposed to have a reasonably early night before that 7am flight but then ended up going out drinking with our football team and... oh dear!

25. mgargan1 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgargan1

okay, so I left work at 10:30. I then got home at 11, and went straight to bed. I woke up at 5. I have a feeling i'm not going to sleep much tonight.