Hungarian GP 2006

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Lord Blackadder, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

With the Schu and Alonso both penalized, I think Kimi should take this one...but the big story will be which of the two can charge up through the field and pick up the points.

Lets see what that mass damper does for Renault's pace.

2. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Penalties like this are in my opinion a clear indication of Schumi's decision to retire after this season. Sure, he's done pretty stupid mistakes under the pressure before, but this was not a racing situation. Nobody can explain why this happened, except if it's for Schu taking it easy for the last season.

3. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

I don't think it was so much the lack of dampers but the heat causing tire problems. It's only susposed to be 26c in Budapest for the race so they may go better? But... I still hope MS scores more points than Alsono and eventually wins number 8. What a way to go out.

4. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I think that the dampers will make a difference, but the poor grid position puts both Alonso and Schu in danger of being collected in an early accident - my bet is that one of them will charge through the field to pick up points and possibly a podium while thew other will languish in traffic

5. spriter macrumors 65816

spriter

Engine blowout in quali, 14th on the grid but Button storms to his 1st victory in and incident packed race in Hungary :D

Alonso out late on, Schumacher as abrasive and unwilling to surrender a place which, ultimately, cost him any points.

6. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Congratulations to Button and Honda, they finally managed to get that monkey off their backs. Look at who scored points, lots of new names at the top. Is this a sign of things to come in the not to distant future? I like it, refreshing!

7. MatthiasC macrumors newbie

What a brilliant race! Congrats to Jenson as well, a brilliantly consistant and pretty much perfect race from him and the Honda guys. To actually hear God Save the Queen at the end of an F1 race was pretty special.
    Let's hope so, F1 was suddenly exciting again today, I haven't seen such an exciting race since Sao Paulo 2003.

A welcome return to overtaking as well today. Not seen much of that these last few years. :)

de la Rosa's attempts at overtaking Schumacher at the chicane were incredible!

Only dissapointment was Rubens didn't get third place from Heidfeld, would have been great for Honda to have both driver's on the podium! :eek:

8. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Well done Jenson, it took you long enough ;)

It was a great race, and I think we've seen the way to make F1 entertaining again. Start with the "contenders" in the middle of the grid, so they have to overtake traffic to score points. And also, only race when it's raining! :D

9. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Wow, that was a great race! You know, Max & Co. are flailing with rules changes to slow the cars and keep the racing exciting, when the answer is constantly before their eyes...wet the tracks down! :p :rolleyes:

Congrats to Kubica on the 7th place finish in his debut race, he had a couple nice passes. Speed is still slow, it was hilarious watching him try to keep the car on track after going to the dry tires. Maybe next time he'll get that point...I hope the lone American makes it to '07.

Alonso and Schu's fate were linked today I guess...but what was Michael thinking not letting De la Rosa by after cutting that chicane, and what happened to his car? ditto Alonso. Did they really balls up his wheel in the pits or was it something else? And what was Kimi doing driving right into Liuzzi? The announcers thought that maybe Liuzzi was dramatically slowed by an off-and-on and Kimi couldn't avoid him, but I didn't see it. Or maybe, as David Hobbs conjectured, Kimi was spending too much time watching De la Rosa in his rearview. If so, a n00b mistake for the Iceman.

And a thumbs up to Button...he was really driving well so you can't necessarily say Alonso gave him the win. It's nice to see some new faces on the podium, but re: the campionship, this puts more pressure on both Fernando and Michael, maybe a little more on the German.

Did you hear the Renault guys shouting "COME ON" over the radio? I'm guessing that they were after Fisi again. He and Massa didn't figure too highly today, not really helping their teammates so much.

10. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

Since I have only been watching F1 races sicne mid 2005 this would have to be the most exciting one I have seen so far. The first four laps were incredable to watch Alonso push people out of the way. He got pretty stuck going around the first corner and made up most of his positions by just going around people in the opening stages. The guy is completely fearless to race like that in the rain. Wow!

Later in the middle of the race Button began to close the gap to Alonso and I so wanted Button to pass him. He later did and was finally able to pull off a win. Something that I think Honda has been deserving of this whole season. As people began to put on dry tires I wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do, as Speed had some major trouble with his first lap on dry ones and Alonso did as well, although I guess it was actually the fact the nut came off the wheel that lead to his demise.

And then Schumi with some kind of failure at the end leaves the points just as they started. What a stupid thing to happen to Kubica though; he drove an amazing first race grabbed 2 points and then gets them both stolen from the stewards becuase his tyres wore down too much. That just really doesn't seem fair to me. Cut the guy a break....

11. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I can't belive they've DSQ'd Kubica - the way he drove certainly earned those points.

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

The official word on Schumi's retirement is "track rod", and Alonso's car have a driveshaft problem (the threads probably got messed up from something, letting the nut fly, even though there's the pin as well). And while I'm happy Schumi got a point, it really sucks that Kubica was DQ'd.

Anyways, great job Jenson (It took you ****ing long enough, who do you think you are, Hakkinen? :p) Same for Petey and Nick too.

13. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I hope the championship comes down to the last race...so far this season has been the most competitive in years.

I thought Schumi was rolled into the garage at that last trip to the pits...

14. tektonnic macrumors 6502

tektonnic

Well Done to Jenson for finally beating the top 3 F1 drivers of today, excluding retirements of course - oh hold on, if we exclude retirements the Alonso, Raikennen and Schumacher don't count, so Jenson won by default.

How it can be considered a credible victory when your fellow podium winners are De la Rosa and Hiedfeld.

15. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Button was matching or beating Alonso's pace throughout the race, didn't make any mistakes and Honda had a good strategy. He started 7th so he had to claw his way up through the field and he held it together in the wet. I'd say he earned his win.

By contrast, Schu and Raikkonen threw their races away with penalties and mistakes. Button caught up to Alonso and was fighting for first so it's not impossible that he could have passed Alonso at some point.

I've never considered myself a big Button fan but he raced solidly today when a lot of top drivers had poor afternoons.

16. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

Yes, Button does earn credit for this win! He was faster than Alonso (he had set fastest lap while chasing down Alonso) and got out of the pits in front of him I believe. And by the way Button started 14th after an engine change, he had qualifed 4th. So bringing it to first from 14th alone is a major accomplishment. Alonso brought it from 15th to first so Button managed to do just about the same job as Alonso did for making up places.

Anyways it was a thrilling race to watch and I have been waiting for Honda to get a win, I knew they were capable at the beggining of the season when Jenson put it on pole at one of the opening races.

17. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

LOL, Button was on row 7, which translates to p14 on the grid...I'm easily confused. :p

So it turns out that Kubica's car was underweight by 2kg due to excessive tire wear, leading to the disqualification...a real shame.

18. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Actually, his car was 2 kilos under weight. Guess he should have picked up a bit more rubber on his cool down lap?

Oops, LB just said it. Anyway, that's a lot of wear to not figure on.

19. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

If this championship does come down to the wire and Schumi wins, I wonder how many people will remember Michael cutting across that chicane while trying to stay ahead of a much faster de la Rosa and not giving up the place willingly afterwards... I can't see someone like Ide, Albers or Speed getting away with that, and I'm not sure why he didn't get penalized. Especially since Kubica's DSQ gives Schu points despite his retirement.

20. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, he beat Schumi right out anyway, and he was faster than Alonso.

And how the hell do you lose 2kg just from tires? I didn't think they even had that much tread on there.

21. tektonnic macrumors 6502

tektonnic

I'm just saying, Its hardly worthy of glorious acclaim when the other podium spots are taken up by one middle runner and one second-race-in-a-decent-car driver.

Surely it indicates that seeing as the 3 best drivers retired that they wern't on top form and had they been Button would probably have finished 4th, he effectivly won by default

If Button wins the next race with Schuey, Raikennen and Alonso behind him but running,, then perhaps he deserves some credit.

Also as an aside I wish ITV would stop showing his idiot of a dad, what a plank! Makes Jenson look like a prat too.

22. MatthiasC macrumors newbie

Jenson overtook Shumacher on the racetrack. Plus Button and Alonso kept on posting fastest laps for a while in that race, before the Bridgestones found themselves again, I'd say Alonso was certainly on form and Jenson was still better.

Also de la Rosa was catching Raikkonen sector by sector right up until Kimi smashed into Liuzzi. Yet, Button was still quicker than de la Rosa, who was catching Kimi. Button did overtake Schumacher (with one of the best overtakes of the race in the eyes of this slightly biased Button fan! :p) and was quicker and looked like he was defineatly going to overtake Alonso in the next few laps if Alonso hadn't had the driveshaft issue, and done the work for him! :)

Button was one of the quickest, and cleanest drivers out there, and Honda had the best strategy by far. Jenson was the best driver of the day, I can pretty much remember everybody else spinning at least once, Jenson didn't. He won by merit not by default.

But I do agree with you. Button needs to win another race with some of the bigger names on the podium, having de la Rosa and Heidfeld behind him was perhaps a bit annoying, I'm sure he would have prefered Alonso and Schumi there on 2nd and 3rd if only for credibilities sake in the eyes of the media. But anyway what happened behind him was pretty much academic, considering I reckon he would have won anyway. He deserves credit for his job in Hungary, a brilliant race drive.

I'm just really happy he's finally done it!! :eek: :cool: :D

On a different note, Kubica getting DQ'd seems very odd, handy that it handed Ferrari 3 points in the constructors and Schumi a point closer to Alonso wasn't it....I love conspiracies!!! :p

23. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

As Macrumors official Jenson fan :D I have to correct you re your Button exploits. You in fact under sell Mr Button. While it is correct he and Alonso started 1 place apart, Alonso was allowed to fiddle with his fuel load because of the fact that he failed to make the top 10 on time due to his 2 sec penalty. Button had to race from the start with the same amount of fuel he finished the shoot-out with. Or something like that. He basically wasn't allowed to change his fuel load from the shoot-out to the race - unlike Alonso and Schumacher.:p ;)

24. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Looks like Webbo will be with Red Bull next year, a good move since he'll be driving a Newey car. Things continue to look promising for that team.

25. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Have you read something? I thought Reanult wanted Weber.

Edit: Nevermind, it's the latest story at F1 live. I'm surprised.