Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
For every iteration of the MBA there had been glaring deficiencies (in my eyes) that've made me hungry for the next version, eg RAM, CPU, hinge, backlighting, SSD capacity etc in previous MBAs. But my 2012 11" MBA doesn't really have any. It does everything I want it to do, and while a beefier CPU and GPU would speed things up a bit, there's no one upgrade that'd make me automatically buy a 2013 model. I guess the closest for me is battery, which I can't imagine would be substantially upgraded.

Anyone feeling the same or differently?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
There isn't really much you can do to make a laptop better, barring better specs. Stuff like better screen or inbuilt 3G/4G will likely come at the expense of shorter battery life. Not many people who use an air would have need for more than 4gb of ram. I doubt Apple will be changing its signature wedge design anytime soon. Material maybe?

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
For every iteration of the MBA there had been glaring deficiencies (in my eyes) that've made me hungry for the next version, eg RAM, CPU, hinge, backlighting, SSD capacity etc in previous MBAs. But my 2012 11" MBA doesn't really have any. It does everything I want it to do, and while a beefier CPU and GPU would speed things up a bit, there's no one upgrade that'd make me automatically buy a 2013 model. I guess the closest for me is battery, which I can't imagine would be substantially upgraded.

Retina display.

Violet1337

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2013

I must say, I would be really happy if they inserted backlights for all external ports such as the USB ports, headphone jack, etc. I hope that comes out in 2013!

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore

Had both the 13" 2010, 2011 base models, upgraded to 11" i7/8/128 2012 model last year. I too can't see myself upgrading this year for the same reason.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Retina.

Once you've seriously used it, everything else just looks grainy.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I must say, I would be really happy if they inserted backlights for all external ports such as the USB ports, headphone jack, etc. I hope that comes out in 2013!

The "breathing" ring around old plastic Macbooks' power port was cool. However look at the currently Air, there is no room whatsoever to place a ring around anything and it would be unthinkable Apple doesn't make a even THINNER product than last generation's

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
Retina.

Once you've seriously used it, everything else just looks grainy.

This. The display on the 2011 MBA is fine enough, but after using my iPhone for so long it would really be nice if all of my devices had "retina or better" displays. Lack of a retina quality display is why I chose not to buy the first gen. iPad mini.

MonkeyCookie

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2008
There's a possibility (I'd say it's likely) that the 2013 MBA refresh will have Intel's Haswell processor and related integrated graphics in it. Haswell uses much less power than previous generations and the integrated graphics hardware has improved a lot, so the battery life and graphics capability of the MBA will go up tremendously, not to mention a much faster processor. For me that's a promising upgrade.

My white Macbook is getting pretty old, and I've been waiting for a Haswell MBA before I upgrade. If Haswell delivers what it promises, then it will be a big step up from the previous revision.

MTD's Mac

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2010
Los Angeles
The "breathing" ring around old plastic Macbooks' power port was cool. However look at the currently Air, there is no room whatsoever to place a ring around anything and it would be unthinkable Apple doesn't make a even THINNER product than last generation's

When I went from a MBP 13" to an Air I did kind of miss the "breathing" indicator. Has Apple removed it from the Retina MacBook Pros, and/or the latest iMacs too? I feel like it might have been a nice touch 5 years ago to make the devices seem more alive, but today it feels a little tacky.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
There's a possibility (I'd say it's likely) that the 2013 MBA refresh will have Intel's Haswell processor and related integrated graphics in it. Haswell uses much less power than previous generations and the integrated graphics hardware has improved a lot, so the battery life and graphics capability of the MBA will go up tremendously, not to mention a much faster processor. For me that's a promising upgrade.

My white Macbook is getting pretty old, and I've been waiting for a Haswell MBA before I upgrade. If Haswell delivers what it promises, then it will be a big step up from the previous revision.

This nails it - graphics power and battery life. No retina, thanks, unless and until it can be done without hits to battery life/thickness/weight/heat.

But yeah, the 2012 is a great, great laptop as-is. My favorite current Mac model.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
When I went from a MBP 13" to an Air I did kind of miss the "breathing" indicator. Has Apple removed it from the Retina MacBook Pros, and/or the latest iMacs too? I feel like it might have been a nice touch 5 years ago to make the devices seem more alive, but today it feels a little tacky.

It is not on the rMBPs either.

dss10

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
I have a late 2010 ultimate and am wrestling with my own upgrade schedule. A lit key board would be nice but I have 4gb ram and 256 of storage and need nothing more. I think the only real reason to upgrade is if there is a new must have OS that requires more ram or if they come out with an 11" with a LTE chip....

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley

No MBP 13" ever had that? I remember my iBook G4 did. Not even my white MacBook from 2007.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I just dont think retina will happen on the air ever. It would eat up their retina pro sales. It would be like putting voice/3g/lte on the ipod touch while it would be cool it does not make sense and they wont do it.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
I love my 2010 13 MBA, and can't see upgrading unless the 2013 gets at least 10 hours battery life, which I now get now with no problem using Coolbook. Really is nice on long international flights, between the 2010 MBA and my iPad2 I could fly halfway around the world on one charge.

daonesteven

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Baltimore, MD

same here, it's funny how such a meaningless feature can mean so much but it would really be a nice touch to incorporate this somehow into the mba...

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
same here, it's funny how such a meaningless feature can mean so much but it would really be a nice touch to incorporate this somehow into the mba...

Not a meaningless feature. It tells you when it's asleep and the hard drive has spun down. It's necessary so that you aren't moving the laptop abruptly while it's still writing to the hard drive.

On the MBA with its SSD, it would be meaningless though as there are no moving parts.

Still love that little blinker though... :eek:

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
I just dont think retina will happen on the air ever. It would eat up their retina pro sales.

They will probably merge the lines totally. They will simply be "MacBooks" like they used to be called.

12, 14, and 16" with less bezel? Let's wait and see.

catracho

macrumors member
May 27, 2006
Do you think that 2013 MacBook Air model will have 8GB of RAM?

My country doesn´t have apple store and I have to buy "stock" models but I don't think that only 4GB of RAM is good fot the future considering that you cant upgrade after.

Violet1337

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2013
Do you think that 2013 MacBook Air model will have 8GB of RAM?

My country doesn´t have apple store and I have to buy "stock" models but I don't think that only 4GB of RAM is good fot the future considering that you cant upgrade after.

I sure hope that 8GB RAM becomes standard in the 2013 refresh. Is this likely to happen or will it remain as option?

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I am VERY hungry to see what the 2013 Air has in store.

Once the laptop line is updated this year I will be upgrading from my 2010 Air, and will either go with the Air or Retina Pro.

If the Air gets an IPS screen with that new laminated process from the iMac then I might stick with the Air. I'd like a Retina screen, but I really enjoy the wedge form factor.

As for performance, the Haswell Air will be more than enough for me (the HD4600 will be an excellent improvement in graphics).

I do need something that will edit 1080p in FCPX better, but only need to do it occasionally. The Core2Duo in my current model can't keep up, but any Sandy Bridge forward processor will be fine. Haswell will be more than enough there.

I do think Apple may finally bring the black aluminum that is seen in the iPhone and iPad Mini to the Air line...would be a way to "redesign" it.

We shall see. Also want to see if the cost of the 13" rMBP comes come with the next gen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.