Hunger turns Iraqis against US -- troubling

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by pseudobrit, Mar 24, 2003.

1. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...ast_afp/iraq_war_civilians&cid=1514&ncid=1473

"On Sunday, a 10-year-old girl died when she stepped on one of the innumerable landmines laid by Iraqi President Saddam Hussein's followers around the border town of Safwan.

'Why did an innocent girl step on it and not an American?' asked Yaber, a resident. "

This is NOT the kind of reaction we need from Shi'ites who are opposed to Saddam.

We need to get humanitarian aid in there NOW

2. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I'm surprised people expected the troops to be welcomed with open arms...lets see what the west has done to the shi'ites of Iraq. We fought the first Gulf War and soon after which the Shi'ites rebelled against Saddam mistakenly believing Bush Snr would support them. No he didn't. He left them to be crushed by Saddam with thousands dead and their way of life destroyed (because it was thought the Shi'ites were too chummy with the Iranians). Then the Americans/Brits impose sanctions - which seeing as the shi'ites were enemies of Saddam meant they got an even worse deal than most Iraqis. Then we invade their country. Look at it this way....I'm sure even if most Americans hated George Bush they would get a bit pissed off about being invaded by Iraq.

I guess they just don't trust us...

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

article about possibility of Shi'ite's turning on US/Brit Eritrean-backed forces

BEIRUT, March 24 (Reuters) - Opposition groups might turn their guns on the United States if Washington behaved as an occupying power in Iraq, a Lebanon-based official of Iraq's main Shi'ite opposition organisation said on Monday.

full story

4. pseudobrit thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

5. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Well, we're more worried about renaming french fries.....

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Re: Hunger turns Iraqis against US -- troubling

Remind me why the US won't sign the landmine treaty?

7. pseudobrit thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Re: Re: Hunger turns Iraqis against US -- troubling

There was no exception for North Korea's DMZ or timed mines that go dead after a few days. We're dropping them in Iraq right now.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Re: Re: Re: Hunger turns Iraqis against US -- troubling

"As dead as a cluster bomb"? :(

9. pseudobrit thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hunger turns Iraqis against US -- troubling

There's definitely room for error with them, unfortunately.

10. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Yep.

Insulting isn't it? The powers that be think that people are stupid and powerless enough to be distracted by such stupid nonsense as french fries....uh, I mean, freedom fries, no, no, now wait, french fries... :D

11. Ifeelbloated macrumors regular

12. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Forgive me, I don't have cable and I am getting all my news in bits and pieces, but what in the world is this thing about French Fries?

Dan

13. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

Re: Yep.

Yes, sadly french fries are actually bavarian. So if they actually want to do something, name them bavarian fries.

I don't understand all the fuss, Afghanastan is the most mined country in the world. Thousands have been killed and mamed there, why the fuss about one person when it happens in a country we are invading?

14. leprechaunG4 macrumors member

Hold up a sec everyone. A girl steps on a landmine planted by Iraq, and you blaim America. Yes, that makes sense. Do your brains function in a seperate demontion from your fingers or something? You want to blame America for Iraq planting land miines near civilians. Someone wants to insult America over land mine treaties when it is not an American land mine. Do you realize how ridiculous you people are being. You are taking any oppurunity to twist facts and try to blame the American government and military. You make no sense. Here lets say you and I get in a fight. I push a chair at you to try to trip you up. Your friend happens to walk into the room just then and trips over the chair. When he gets up who should he be blaming, you or me?

15. pseudobrit thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The House of Representatives renamed the french fries "freedom fries" in their cafeteria to show their disgust at French defiance in the UN.

Ironic, because french fries were invented in Belgium.

The name "french fries" comes from:

frenched -- to slice vegetables lengthwise

fried -- cooked in oil

potatoes -- yummy

"Frenched fried potatoes" became frenched fries became french fries.

House of Representatives -- morons

16. pseudobrit thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Well, the point of the story obviously didn't make sense to you. The land mine killed the little girl and an Iraqi civilian said he wished it were an American instead of the girl.

This is indicitive of public sentement in the area, which is at least as anti-American as it is anti-Saddam. The fact that he uses the word "innocent" to describe the girl in contrast to the "guilty" (unspoken but implied) American shows how eager the Iraqi citizens are to be "liberated."

so... NOBODY IS BLAMING AMERICA for the land mine!!

17. Ifeelbloated macrumors regular

It's kind of funny that the politicians have enough time on their hands to screw around with our lexicon.

18. leprechaunG4 macrumors member

Would the man have preferred it not be the girl who stepped on it? I will not argue that, but to take one little line like that and try to geralize the view of the entire Iraqi population, very foolish of you. As for the Shi'ites they stand waiting for I believe their leader said "convenient time" to rise against Saddam. America wants them to stay in their homes right now to help ensure civilian safety. Once Basra is secure then we can have the Shi'ite malitia join with us. As for the pointing their guns on us: Take in the whole story next time. You are very good at ignore the facts and true meanings of something and instead pulling just what fits your twisted view. The Shi'ite leader is simply making it clear he does not want American colonization or occupation, which isn't what is planned so no worries. The Shi'ite leader said he would work peacefully at the end of the war with America, but would use what force he could if America tried to colonize.

19. pseudobrit thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Once Saddam is gone the Shi'ites want the US gone, and they're not too happy about us being there in the first place or with us as a nation.

Did you read the story? Or are you just criticizing me because of the two paragraphs I posted?

I'm not going to argue with you about it if you want to pick nits over a story you obviously haven't read!

The man would obviously have preferred an American die in place of the little girl. Most Iraqis would rather see a dead US soldier than a dead Iraqi, that's just common sense.

We have not delivered the aid we promised, and the people are pissed because they are out of food and water because of the war we started and the sanctions we imposed!

20. leprechaunG4 macrumors member

Yup it is, that's what I said actually. I said he would rather have anyone than the little girl eb the one to die, but I'd bet he'd want want even more for Saddam to be the one to step on the landmine. Heck he'd rather have you step on the landmine than the little girl.

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yes! we must all stop stepping on little girls!

p.s. :)

22. pseudobrit thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I can't believe the US wouldn't sign a treaty banning stepping on little girls!

I don't know about you guys, but this pot-smoking commie Marxist hippy is totally anti-American now!

;)

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

24. leprechaunG4 macrumors member