Hunter kills 5 in Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by cr2sh, Nov 22, 2004.

1. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/nation/stories/112204dnnathuntersshot.7fd3686a.html

Wow, people are psycho.... I wonder if he would have killed the people who found him in the woods if he'd had more bullets.

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The fact that five were shot and 2 wounded is scary - and the "KS 7.62 caliber semiautomatic, a common hunting weapon" - that sounds a bit over kill for a hunting rifle....why do you need a semiautomatic gun? You're only really going to get one good shot off...

D

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

I heard about this on the radio on the way in to work this morning. Scary how someone can just flip like that.

Two quotes that stood out for me:

Lucky for them.

No, I suppose not. It's you that's supposed to be doing the killing...

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

You don't. It's only for hunters who are trying to make up for some real or perceived inadequacy or for those who can't shoot. Oh well, 6 fewer gun owners in this country.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sad situation for sure.

I wonder what the real factor was behind his response?

Sushi

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Actually, lots of hunters use semi-auto rifles to hunt. The SKS is a Soviet military surplus rifle; it's accurate, reliable, and costs 1/5 as much as a new Remington 700 hunting rifle. I'm not trying to start an argument here, BTW ;)

I think that this guy was a nut to begin with, guns aside. I'm sure that this isn't his first brush with the law, but I'll bet it will prove to be his last.

7. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Thanks for moving the thread. I must have blanked out.

Wisconsin is crazy during opening week.... we had 3survey crews up there all of last month, we brought them home on Friday. Just not safe.

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

This is a very scary sad situation. It seems like a little diplomacy would have been in order. This reminds me of the Hatield's and the McCoy's. This ended with a slef protection mode.

My prayers go out to there victims and their families. :(

9. apple2991 macrumors 6502

Yay for guns. Drinks all around. Then let's go hunting.

10. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Same old head up arse news type of story that PC people will jump on, to ban Guns, Hunting or anything else they can tag on to what bad people do.

Here's some news, bad people will do bad things irrespective of what legislation there is or isn't.

11. emw macrumors G4

emw

I don't think this was posted as a "guns kill" article, merely a sad commentary on a specific individual.

12. apple2991 macrumors 6502

13. emw macrumors G4

emw

Sure it was an accident. The birds must have been flying awfully low...

Reminds me of the story about the man shooting his girlfriend while aiming at a mouse.

I can't comment on shooting birds with a shotgun, as I'm no expert in that field.

14. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

My Gym teacher was talking about it this morning.
    He was only about a mile and a half away when it happened. They brought in a SWAT team and evacuated the area.

15. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Yes, you hunt birds with a shotgun. Good luck trying to hit a flying bird with anything else!

But, um, you generally make sure that no husbands are downrange before you fire. :eek:

16. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I hate minnesotians

Wisconsin is a good place. Its all those damn people from MN, who come here and screw things up. This guy was from MN, The girl who faked who abduction was from MN, the and this other guy who sent mail bombs to people was from MN too. Go back to Minnesota! Damn gophers.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Would you call the story about the kid who torched the SUVs 'typical story' that 'PC people' would use to jump on to bash environmentalists? I'm sure you would, wouldn't you? ;)

It's not like this hunting story has a tragic component to it or anything, no it's just propaganda being used to ban guns. Yep that's what it is.

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That sounds scary also. Was he aware of the situation at the time?

19. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

in the central coast region of california, where fishing used to be highly lucrative, tempers ran as high as the catch and $$$

since there was a lot at stake, money wise, people protected their boats and their catch and many were armed

also, alcohol and meth (and other drugs) seem to be a popular early morning snack for bored fishermen in between the schools of fish...and yes, that's a recipe for disaster

where stories of hunters shooting at one another may be rare, it's old hat in the sardine and squid fleets out on the west coast...the coast guard certainly have their hands full trying to patrol the seas around here, but all atrocities that make it to the news aren't just the "civilians" on the high seas

it's a catch 22...most don't like guns and their ridiculously easy accessibility, but many feel the need to have a gun for "protection" from those that are armed and harboring less than good intentions

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yes. What else would you use?

Sushi

21. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Not saying it was an accident.

However, when hunting non water birds (pheasant, quail, etc.), usually you flush them from a thicket or underbrush. When they take off, depending on the type of bird, they go quickly and low to the ground.

For beginners, it is easy to try and follow the bird and not realize what is behind it in all the excitement. Thus shooting at something they do not mean to shoot at.

Additionally, when firing a shotgun, it is an area weapon so the pellets scatter a bit depending on the range.

In this case, one would need to know the choke of the weapon and the range. Then compare to the shot group on the husband. If it matches, then there is a high probability she did it on purpose. Accidents do happen...but...

That is why I will never hunt with an inexperienced person without some traiing first. One key with any weapon (military or not) is to correctly identify the target before pulling the trigger. To many times folks rush things when hunting. That is why we humans have some gray matter between our ears. It's called a brain, and we should use it.

For example, when I was growing up, I used to love to watch the New Yorkers as we called them come around our area (midwest) to hunt. They were dummer than dirt and wasted a lot of ammo. One time I saw a group (11-12) hunters all take on some geese that were flying overhead. Stupid hunters didn't realise that the geese were flying obove the range of the shotguns. All the hunters emptied their shotguns and not one bird was hit. We are talking around 30-40 shots (depending on the type of shotgun and how many shells that it would hold). Not one hit! Total idiots.

Sorry, but I have little patience for those who own guns but do not know how to handle and use their gun.

Sushi

22. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

The stupid kind of hunter. When I lived in Colorado all the good hunters, including a good friend of mine who used to be a Green Beret, use bolt action. From what I understand they are probably more accurate.

Obviously he needed a semi auto because he can't be bothered with pulling a slide back and forth while targeting the many people coming to shoo them off their property.

23. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

He heard some shots being fired, but didn't know that people were being shot.

24. chanoc macrumors 6502

chanoc

I used to have an SKS years ago, back in '91. Yeah it could be used for hunting, but that was not my reason for having the SKS. Glad I cease to own firearms today, and have not since 1991. I would rather spend 200.00 on a cheap Pentium III than a cheap assault rifle.

25. Jimong5 macrumors 6502

You've never been Deer Hunting then, I know I've gotten 3 shots off with a pump action, and I know of someone who got 5 off with a bolt. a Semi auto isn't that bad of a gun, its the fully autos that are the problem.

another problem, is just his ethnic background.
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=274552
    Hmong people have a poor concept of private land, and often get territorial, even leading them to shoot and kill people over something as trivial as a deer stand.