Hunter S. Thompson dead...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Inspector Lee, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Nov 20, 2002
    Hunter S. Thompson killed himself...

One of my favorite authors.

2. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Aug 17, 2004
    Communard de Londres
    That is sad. Still a man in charge of his destiny.A gun nut but a great journalist/author. Last interview I read he was warning Kerry that the Bushites could quite possibly kill him.That was his view of how nasty US politics are. :(
    Should make it clear kill Kerry not HST.
  3. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I wonder how Doonesbury is going to handle it. One of the characters was modeled on him.
  4. MacNut macrumors Core

Jan 4, 2002
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was a classic.
  5. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Jul 4, 2004
    Wow, that's a real shame. I wonder what lead to this.
  6. hob macrumors 68020

Oct 4, 2003
    London, UK
    Saw it for the first time 2 weeks ago

Saw it for the second time a week ago

Think I might get the book off amazon...
  7. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

Dec 30, 2002
    Chicago, IL, USA
    i felt like i got punched in the gut when i read this. sad. i wasn't obsessed with him, per se, but man did he leave his mark.
  8. 748s macrumors 6502a

Dec 14, 2001
    Tiger Bay
    chances are he just thought "that will do me, time to move on."
    he went hard at everything he did.
    he once wrote....On my tombstone
    they will carve, "IT NEVER GOT FAST ENOUGH FOR ME."
    that's a quote from an article he wrote named "song of the sausage creature"
  9. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    Fear and Loathing?

I really enjoyed his literary contributions, I thought he was a genius. The two movies weren't bad either.

he will be missed (by me).
  10. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  11. hob macrumors 68020

Oct 4, 2003
    London, UK
    I guess I could google it but are there any good sites where I can pick up articles by him?

12. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Apr 10, 2003
    The "Garden" state
    yah, this is really quite sad.
    fear and loathing in las vegas is one of my favorite books, i re-read it every year or so and always come back with a new appreciation for it.
  13. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    That is a very sad situation. Hopefully he has finally found the peace that he was seeking. My prayers go out to his family and friends.
  14. Vector macrumors 6502a

Feb 13, 2002
    Thonpson wrote many articles for ESPN page 2 and they can all be found here.

His last article was about Shotgun Golfing. It is an extremely funny article, the exact style of haphazard writing you would expect from Thompson.

It was written, or at least published, on February 15th.
  15. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    it is a very sad day

even though i found little in common with his beliefs, i did find his writing very provacative and interesting...he was a strange combination of rush limbaugh, michael moore, john hightower, and ted nugent...all rolled into one

somewhere, like wdlove mentioned, i know hst was seeking peace
  16. aricher macrumors 68020

Feb 20, 2004
    Please pardon my rant here but the man meant so much to me.

“Art is long, Life is short” J. Conrad

Today is President’s Day. The banks are closed, the courtrooms are silent, the U.S. mail is idle, and Hunter Thompson is dead. I heard the news on CNN while making coffee. A few moments later my friend Eric called to see if I’d heard. This was a several hours ago and I’m still struggling with the news.

Of course I’ve contemplated Hunter’s death many times before. Anyone who lives life with his kind of horsepower has no doubt cheated death many, many times. I guess I just always imagined him dying in a fiery Jeep crash on a snowy mountain road or going quietly in the night like so many do. No good reason, really. Things just stop and don’t start again and to everyone’s surprise, yourself especially, you’re dead.

But Hunter Thompson shot himself yesterday and we are all poorer for it. Thompson was, for me, one of those rare writers who gets inside your eyes and forever changes the way you see the world. For the next few days the obituaries and tributes will be full of talk about his drug use, his love of guns, his subjectivity. These are but a fraction of what made Hunter great, for beneath all the exotic drugs, fast cars, explosives, and automatic weapons was a man of finely tuned sensitivity and a powerful sense of justice.

He brought overwhelming force to bear on what he felt was Wrong and wrote eloquently about what he thought was Right. He cared. He was sarcastic without being cynical. He was an angry optimist. He didn’t shy from the dark and violent side of the American character and understood that it was an essential and unchangeable part of our make up, but that we weren’t damned for it.

Blake professed that it was the tension between two opposite forces that created the force that sustained life. I’ll buy that. I think Hunter bought that, at least for a while. I don’t know why people kill themselves or what we’re supposed to do with that. I really don’t. But the world I see will continue to be influenced by Hunter’s vision. He looked at it, and wrote about it, with the right kind of eyes.

I know Hunter had suffered from various physical ailments recently, but wouldn't be surprised if the mental torment of witnessing America move farther and farther to the right, transforming into Greedheads, Inc. contributed to his decision to commit suicide. So raise the glasses high tonight and join me in a toast to the good doctor.

Selah, Mahalo, Amen.
  17. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Aargh... insane times.

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
    -- Hunter S. Thompson

'When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...'
  18. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

Jul 24, 2002
    i didn't like a lot of what he wrote, but fear and loathing in las vegas is amazing. i remember reading it one summer in late high school or early college while working at the beach.

i only recently learned he was an columist, which for some reason surprised me.
  19. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Is it just me or that I have never even heard of this guy until now...

Anyway, I'll be sure to check out the movie "Fear and Loathing.." just to experience what all the buzz is about.
  20. m-dogg macrumors 65816

Mar 15, 2004

Definitely pick it up -A great read. I never really got around to seeing the movie, partly becasue I was afraid I'd hate it in comparison to the book...
  21. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Read the book. Also read 'Hell's Angels'

Some of his anthologies are quite good to dip into.
    • Generation of Swine
    • Songs of the Doomed
  22. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

Mar 10, 2004
  23. Vector macrumors 6502a

Feb 13, 2002
    I have read the book recently, and while it is better than the film, the film is great and you really should see it. The film does a great job of adapting the style of writing that Thompson used in the book. The film stays very true to the book and only deviates slightly without taking anything away.

Terry Gilliam (12 Monkeys, Brazil, Time Bandits, Monty Python) directed it and adapted the book for the screenplay. Gilliam did an amazing job bringing the book to screen. If you have seen his other movies, especially Brazil (the proper version), then you know that he is very good at directing something like Fear and Loathing.

Johnny Depp also does an amazing job of acting out the lead character. He actually lived with Thompson for a while and studied him so that he would be better able to play the character.

Thompson has been quoted many times as saying that he loved the movie and watched it frequently.

On a sidenote, i didn't realize until today how good of a job Depp did since i had never seen a picture of Thompson. Depp looks almost exactly like the pictures that i have seen of Thompson.