Hurricane Charley -- plz keep FL in your prayers!

Discussion in 'Community' started by cleo, Aug 12, 2004.

1. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

As you may know, the Tampa Bay area is in the crosshairs of Hurricane Charley, which is slated to be Category 3 when it comes onshore tomorrow evening. Over 800,000 people have already been evacuated, and this has the potential to be "the big one" we've managed to dodge for years. Please keep us Tampa Bay area MR members, and our whole area, in your thoughts and prayers.

(BTW: The last Category 3 hurricane to directly hit this area was in 1921.)

2. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    good to hear from you cleo. i'll send some good thoughts your way.

stay safe. and let us know you're ok after the storm passes.

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I pray that you will be safe and sound cleo. My thoughts are with all our MacRumors members in the path of Bonnie and Charlie. Please listen to what your local emergency personnel request of you and your family.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I think cleo, medea, and zync are those who will be first affected. It's totally possible that those of us more toward the Atlantic coast will also be floating in a couple of days.

If there is a good side to all this, it might help with the drought we've had for years. I'm looking forward to a green lawn. :D

5. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Yes we expect some serious rainfall and flooding at least, any other damage is hard to predict right now, depends on how north it hits.

6. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

The rainfall, unlike most summers when its sorely needed, i definitely going to cause problems -- Pinellas County (where I live) is already 15" above normal for the month this year. The ground is simply saturated, so this 4-8" of rain they're promising -- who knows where that will go. And if the storm surge is as bad as predicted it will literally put downtown Tampa underwater. I've lived here my whole life (well, since I was 2, which is about as close to being a native as you find) and I've never seen anything like this. Usually the newscasters have this kind of "Yay! Excitement!" glint in their eye as a (small) storm approaches, but now they literally look like they want to cry.

If you're interested in seeing how the preparations go, check out TBO.com, which is the joint site for our local NBC affiliate and the Tampa Tribune (gotta love media consolidation).

medea, where are you?

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The trouble is that the water isn't making it back to the Aquifer, where it belongs. Maybe, this will help.

Stay safe! If your life raft comes this way, don't forget to wave. ;)

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Best of luck. Leave if it's safer. It's sobering to think that the weather forecasters are looking sad - you're right, they're usually excited, and it usually turns out to be nothing.

Please try to make sure that water-damageable items are safely covered, in plastic bins, etc. We had a small flood in our basement this spring, and it's amazing what water will soak into. Hopefully, you'll be spared 100%. We'll be thinking of you - and everyone in the path.

9. winwintoo macrumors 6502

I hope the Stanley Cup is in a safe place ;)

But seriously, I'll be praying for you.

m

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

According to the constant weather reports, Charley is going to make landfall slightly south of Tampa. It makes it sound a little better but the storm swells are expected to be 10-15 feet high. That's quite a lot of water.

Hopefully, the afternoon won't be as difficult as it's supposed to be.

11. job macrumors 68040

job

Hope everyone over there stays safe and keeps their head down.

It's odd though, since here in Texas surfers are enjoying the waves that Charley has been pushing in our direction.

12. Awimoway macrumors 65816

My wife's grandparents live in the Sanibel/Ft. Myers area. Their retirement community has a special hurricane shelter, but I'm not sure if it makes me feel better or worse to know they'll be at the heart of the action, shelter notwithstanding. It might have been better if they'd just evacuated. They're right on the banks of the Calloosahatchee River, near its mouth, and apparently the rivers could get an even nastier storm surge than the beaches (according to The Weather Channel).

It's a beautiful area, and I'd hate to see anything happen to it.

Everyone down there is definitely in my prayers. :(

13. medea macrumors 68030

medea

I'm actually a Florida native. I was born in Miami and I currently live in Fort Myers.
    It's too bad, we were going to come up to Tampa this weekend to see Mitch Hedberg heh.

Oh and lovely avatar, quite appropriate.

14. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

So yes, the 11 AM advisory showed a slight wobble to the east, coming onshore around Sarasota (which is just south of the mouth of the Bay). However, because the storm is really headed mostly north, it may just kind of skip along the coast for a while. At this point severe storm surge (10-14' with up to 6' of waves on top) is pretty much a given. Downtown Tampa is built right on the edge of the bay, and there's a ton of underground wiring for the electricity grid, and so they cut off electricity to downtown as well as two islands that have (really ***** expensive) residential developments on them.

My family lives, luckily, on a bluff that is 24' above sea level and so we're in a non-evacuation zone (in Pinellas County). Our house was just built 10 years ago and my dad built it (he's a civil engineer), so it's really tough. He's just now putting the final touches on the plywood (we have an open Florida-style floorplan, so we have no "interior room" to hide out in except the laundry room), and we have all our supplies ready (including plenty of alcohol for those who take it and anti-anxiety meds for me). We have some family friends, an eldery couple who live on the water, who are here with us, plus my grandma who just happens to be vacationing... so at some point tonight we'll have 7 humans, a golden retriever (my service dog), a 14-year-old little dog, and 2 very cranky cats stuffed into the laundry room for a few hours.

And, of course, my iPod and iBooks (I'll be writing updates for my blog that I'll post when electricity is available).

This is really terrifying. I prayed last night for the first time in 3 years.

Thank you :) They don't call me the Grand Avatarist for nuthin'!

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

At least, by getting hit first, it ends the anxiety about when the storm will arrive. They could also have repairs done before others need them. :)

16. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

For the past few years, every year, during hurricane season the area of Texas where I live has been "about to be hit" by a hurricane.. every one does the whole buying canned stuff jug water and candles... and like clockwork.. every year the hurricane turns north at the very last possible minute...

In fact The last hurrican I recall was probably over 10 years ago...

17. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

Good news (for us, at least...)

The 2 PM advisory has the storm projected to come onshore around Charlotte Harbor, which is just north of Ft. Myers.

medea, hang in there...

18. Geetar macrumors regular

We're here in Sarasota (between Tampa and Fort Myers) on the 15th floor of a big condo block looking straight out onto the Bay and Longboat Key. The upper edge of the eye is heading more or less straight at us.

This has got us a little worried, as you might imagine.

19. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

Oh jeeze, Geet... you need to find a "safe room," and fast! Our prayers are with you...

20. Geetar macrumors regular

21. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Cat 4, 145 mph winds. Landfall now looks to be between Cape Coral and Punta Gorda. Perhaps a direct hit on Sanibel. That's where my wife and I honeymooned.

22. Geetar macrumors regular

Shifting North.....Port Charlotte landfall?

Here it comes, looks like it's pushing right into Charlotte harbor.

23. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

They're telling us around Orlando that we're probably going to get category 1 or 2-force winds. They're also saying that the strongest effect should hit about 8 p.m. tonight.

24. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I hope everyone down in FLA will stay safe. For those who are staying behind I'm sure it will be a rush. Storms like this one are both awe inspiring and deadly! :eek: So keep safe guys and if you can see the waves getting higher, I hope you can find the humor of the situation to say "Hey I thought Charlie didn't surf" :)

25. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

how is it in orland. I have in-laws in wintergarden, and they are not leaving(i think they where told to leave). I'm in ohio, so i don't know how these things go.