Hurricane Chief: "Megadisaster is Coming"

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Zwhaler, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14467407/?GT1=8404

Well, I have to say this is kind of scary. I also must say that I saw it coming, and I knew it would be just a matter of time before something like this will happen. I think that Global Warming is largely responsible for these type of things. Has anyone out there seen Al Gore's "An Inconveinent Truth"? Great movie, and it covers everything in terms of Global Warming, and more importantly, how a Megadisaster such as one that is expected to hit the us is possible. Wow. Any comments?

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Oh I know, we've had so many hurricanes this year. I can't beleive we are still alive. :eek: How on earth will we survive another!

Let's just try to scare some more people, ok? "Big hurricane will hit US in the FUTURE. Be very affraid.

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

This is totally lame and sensationalistic.

As I pointed out in another thread, the number of hurricanes this year has been FAR below normal and we've not had even ONE hurricane make landfall in the US. So people like this guy are starved for attention, especially compared to last year, which is starting to look more and more like a sheer statistical anomaly in terms of the number of hurricanes that occurred (a number which broke a 70 year old record, to be sure, but it just goes to show that there were tons of hurricanes even back in the 1930s).

And everything is inevitable. Of COURSE there will be a worse hurricane than Katrina.

Ooh, ooh! I have a prediction: In the future, everyone will die.

4. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Climate change is real and it can't be a good thing, but what the Hell is the point of that article? Of course there will eventually be a natural disaster worse than Katrina...whoever thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. Of course there will be more terrorist attacks somewhere in the world, of course people will die of cancer, of course cars crash. This article is just spreading fear and gaining fame for the "Hurricane chief".

This "culture of fear" thing really gets out of hand rather often...

5. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Know what, your right. Strange but that kinda freaked me out but now I realize its just a pointless article stating that something that is obviously inevitable will happen.

News Flash: Everyone will die!

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It was also an interview with The Hurricane Guy. Of course he's going to be all amped up about hurricanes.

It's like asking John Madden what he thinks about football -- you're going to get an earful.

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

You're right. We just shouldn't worry about disasters. Maybe if we don't print articles like this, they wouldn't ever happen. Talk about hype!

I bet if the media hadn't been reporting so much about hurricane danger, Katrina wouldn't have even happened. It's better just to ignore any possible threat.

:rolleyes:

8. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

I had two points...

1) The article states the obvious.
    2) The article unnecessarily spreads fear and uncertainty.

There's nothing wrong with thinking about the future and preparing for the worst. There is something wrong with making people afraid to sleep at night for fear of dying in the most horrific hurricane imaginable. See the differrence?

9. SodaPopMonster macrumors regular

10. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

Obvious to only 40% of coast residents, apparently.

If the message of the article is obvious, then it's not spreading anything, right? ;)

12. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Gawd I don't know why everyone is so obsessed with global warming and public transport.

Firstly, the earth warming is part of a 10,000 year NATURAL cycle. If we want to look after our planet we should at LEAST let it continue it's own climate cycle.

Secondly, all this about public transport, a bus has nearly 200 times the emissions of your average car, which also happens to have roughly the same emissions of a sit-on lawnmower.

In fact there are more toxins emitted during a cremation than a new Ford Focus (the most popular car) travelling at 70 MHP for four hours.

13. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

I'd wager that more people commute than are cremated daily.

I would also wager to say that if a new Ford Focus is emitting x toxins more than a cremation than there are a huge number of cars with WORSE emissions that are already on the road driving every day.

14. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

This hurricane season has been too lame. Usually would have had three storms send east coast triple overhead swells by now. If your house gets hit, blame me ; I pray for surf.

15. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Actually, I would think it should be obvious to anyone with half a brain that sometime, there will be a worse storm than Katrina.

The article states the obvious, but does so in such a manner as to incite fear in the public. Also, by making a news item out of something so obvious, its relevance is artificially emboldened and the fear of it grows. Calling it a "Megadisaster" doesn't help either ;)

Take the recent plane-bombing scare as an example. Even though there was no evidence that anything was going to happen for at least a while yet (and the authorities had been tracking the case for many months already), they decided to make a huge public show about it to scare the crap out of everyone. While very productive for politics, such a move is counterproductive to society.

Same thing applies with this "Megadisaster". The press should use more tact when reporting things like this.

16. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

17. crackpip macrumors regular

Whew, I was thinking about applying for a postdoc in climate modeling, but I'm glad the whole global warming issue has been solved.

Hmm, I guess I need some suggestions for a new career path. I can't sing, so that's out. Gardening might be nice.

crackpip

18. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I was making a point. Cars don't emit anywhere as near as many emissions as people think.

Diesels are actually the worst. The emit carcinogenic (cancer causing) chemicals, along with very very large amounts of pure carbon. They do emit less carbon dioxide gas though.

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Living in Floriduh, the storms have been tremendous. People rarely take the lightning serious but we have hundreds, maybe thousands of lightning strikes per minute during thunderstorms.

Having experienced 3 of the 4 hurricanes to hit Floriduh in 2004, I don't think too many people need to read something to know that hurricanes are dangerous and that the weather is increasing in intensity.

Who needs to hear it? The federal and state governments need to hear it. FEMA is the disaster and the insurance companies are reaping benefits. Nationwide, my insurer, raised rates 71 %. Yes, they paid out a lot, but not to me. Most of the insurance companies are reporting record profits. They're also denying any flooding that's happened because of hurricanes. Floriduh's government has passed a law to protect the insurance companies, which forces each homeowner to also buy flood insurance.

Will anyone do anything about global warming? Perhaps, but very slowly because it's not in their monetary interests. It's going to cost us more to do the right thing. The government cares--very little. The power companies and car companies care even less. Don't ask if the coal, natural gas, and petroleum providers care.

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

We're going to get a really bad hurricane, and it's going to pass over 1,000 miles of land to destroy St. Louis, and here's why:

In August 2001, my sister moved to New York for college. 9/11 happened.
    In August 2005, my sister moved to New Orleans for law school. Katrina happened.
    In September, 2005, being a displaced Katrina victim, she was invited back to New York by a law school up there, so she took that offer and went back to NYC. A couple months later, while not a huge disaster, she became very sick and was in the hospital for a week.
    In May 2006, my sister moved to Washington, DC for a summer internship. They got all of that flooding.
    Now, here we are in August 2006 and she recentely moved home to St. Louis to finish up law school here. Something's bound to happen.

So why are we in for a hurricane? Any time she moves, sh*t happens. :D

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Is she visiting Orlando any time soon? :D

22. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'm with you there. A big liquid explosive plot is found right before an election. I don't think that even a blind pig would have much problem seeing the potential motivation behind that. :eek:

Where I get lost with your point is that I don't see anything nefarious behind Max Mayfield mentioning "mega-disaster" in an interview.

What was his motivation?
    Is his performance review tied to hurricane deaths?
    Is he running for office?
    Is he getting a cheap thrill out of insiting fear in masses?

Or is he just a guy who's passionate enough about hurricanes to have worked there for 34 years and cares enough to be amazed and upset that even after Katrina, more people than not DON'T HAVE A HURRICANE PLAN?

You say the media should use more tact on this matter. I'm thinking that for the last few decades, that's exactly what they've done, and the results speak for themselves.

I also don't think that the article incited fear in any masses, but that's just me. If this story does whip up enough fear and discontent to make the cover of Time and Oprah does a show on it, I'll PayPal you enough money for some beer. :)

23. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

I'm glad we see eye-to-eye on that one...wouldn't want this thread sent to the Political Forum, would we? ;)

I don't think I ever said that Mayfield was up to anything "nefarious". I did point out that this article will increase his fame, but it's hard to say whether or not that was his ultimate intention.

My main problem with this is not that the Hurricane Chief is doing his job and trying to spread awareness of hurricane dangers, but rather how the media is pumping it and pretending it's some sort of revelation that will change the world. They pump it like this because it boosts ratings and instils fear in the viewers/readers.

As a personal anecdote, the last time I was in the US, I awoke bright and early on the morning after my arrival and turned on the news to see what was happening in America. I think it was either ABC or NBC...maybe FOX...not quite sure. Anyway, there was no news. Instead there was a breaking report on snoring, urging all "sufferers" to see their doctor immediately, since snoring "is a sign of imminent collapse of your throat". I turned on the news (various stations) intermittently for the rest of the trip, and it was the same "terror is upon us" and "listen closely, this could save your life" programming. This article is just another example.

It really doesn't surprise me one bit that only 40% of hurricane-prone coastal regions have hurricane plans. Actually, wait, it does. It surprises me how high that number is! Fact of the matter is that most people don't plan ahead for disasters of any sort. How many people have planned and practised emergency exit routes in case of fire? Who reads the emergency pamphlets on aeroplanes (save out of boredom)? Who buys a generator and extra fuel in case of a power outage in the middle of winter? Who walks the streets wearing padded clothing in case they get hit by a car? Not that many, really. For some inexplicable reason, most people can't be bothered. 40% of anything is doing pretty good, in my books.

Not quite sure what you're getting at here. Could you please elaborate a bit?

You're right. I don't think this article in and of itself will create mass hysteria and riots. It does, however, add to the growing list of "fears" that people are acquiring in the modern world. In fact, one could make a case for labelling articles like this as "terrorist propaganda" ;)

If what this article reports on ever does make it to the cover of Time and Oprah milks it too, I'll take you up on that beer. And I won't forget either ;) :)

24. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

You mean John Madden doesn't talk about hurricanes?

"The hurricane...now when it...now when it...now when it hits the US, its gonna, its gonna be a lot of wind. Cause uh....cause uh...hurricanes, they are a lot of wind."

25. zim macrumors 65816

zim

I am! If Bush had tapped his email then this article would never had been published :rolleyes: