Hurricane Dean

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Anderson, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So I'm thinking this won't be good.
    http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/203525.shtml?5day#contents

Look at the current track and then at the archived 2004 season

[​IMG]

I know that the weather conditions aren't going to be the same, but the chance that it slips in through the straight between Yucatan and Cuba, its going right to the US Coast.

And its already a catagory 2.

D

2. Moderator emeritus

Floriduh desperately needs some rain and the local people are guessing that it could hit category 3 status with the warm water.

3. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yay, Category 3! Great news for Florida!

4. macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I'm in Fort Myers. Charley just missed us. I hope this one stays away. It takes a long time to get things fixed after one of these. There are still broken buildings on US41. Not sure if FEMA trailer town is still around...

5. macrumors 68020

ham_man

I just really hope that this hits anywhere but the Texas coast. If we get any more rain (Erin is stressing enough), most of the state will be underwater.

6. Moderator emeritus

I just got my Charley damage finally fixed months ago. :D

So many construction and repair companies have been so backed up because of 2004 and 2005. Now that new housing starts are down, maybe they'll be able to clean up after the above average 2007 season.

7. macrumors member

Mmmm... hurricane. We're not seein' 'em in North Carolina this year. Not so far.

8. macrumors regular

I'm in Virginia.....don't jinx it!

9. macrumors 68030

joepunk

I'm currently living in Orlando, Floridu.

This place could use a nice cooling off. Probably get some rain and winds.

10. macrumors Core

MacNut

Deans current path.

Attached Files:

11. macrumors 6502a

vicious7

Wow...looks like Cuba's gonna get some rain. I hope everyone will be alright.

12. Moderator emeritus

13. macrumors 68000

4God

14. macrumors 603

15. Moderator emeritus

Visit Dallas, maybe?

16. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

one thing people should remember is the bigger the storm gets the greater likely hood it will kill it self.

Remember they pull their strength off the heat of the ocean. Now the bigger the storm gets the more churning up the water they do and when they get to cat 4/5 they start causing cold water to come to the surface. When that happens the storm will start to weaken very quickly.

Also the project path puts the storm in Mexico so I think the Texas cost is pretty safe.

17. macrumors P6

MacDawg

Heart goes out to Jamaica (spent 3 weeks in Montego Bay a few years ago) and then the Yucatan. Gonna be a rough time for all concerned.

How soon can we expect the bogus pictures to start making the rounds on the internet... "Wow, look at these shots of Hurricane Dean a friend sent me! Unbelievable!"

I keep snopes.com on my favorites ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

18. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Damn looks like Jamaica will get hit hard....I have a lot of friends over there...hope they are prepared. After the massacre that was 2004-2005 Island people don't take these things for joke anymore.

Really hope it hit a cold spot in the ocean before it hits land.

Bless

19. macrumors 68020

furcalchick

ouch. i've been tracking this storm for about a week, and it's going to be awful nasty. good thing is that it's unlikely to go to houston (it could send the world into a recession losing a large city, and many new orleans people live there, including alot of my family)

but we're in the hurricane active cycle, so it's going to be more of the same for about 10-20 years. i don't think it's due to global warming, but if you look historically, the early parts of the 20th century and the middle of the century were also in active cycles, many devastating hurricanes there.

20. macrumors G4

dmw007

Hurricanes like Dean make me glad that I don't live at the beach... :eek:

21. macrumors 68020

ham_man

Latest model run.

[​IMG]

And for those wondering about how the ocean conditions affect growth, here is a chart. Basically, the warmer the color, the more the hurricane will be strenghtened.

[​IMG]

And for those who wish to follow Dean, I found a pretty good site tracking its progress (link).

22. macrumors Core

MacNut

The latest.....

Attached Files:

23. macrumors 68020

All hurricanes cause cold water upwelling, not just the biggest ones. This leaves a trail of cooler water behind the hurricane, which can affect the strength and path of subsequent hurricanes which try to venture into the area. But there are still warm waters ahead for Dean. Enough in fact (forcasters believe) to allow himself to strengthen into a Cat 5 monster.

I hope those folks are prepared, or better yet, get the heck out of there. Things are going to get pretty ugly.

24. macrumors 68020

furcalchick

mexico could be in big trouble, dean's headed straight to mexico city. better hope it doesn't cross over and reform in the pacific and strike cali.

25. macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

the pacific is far too cold to keep it a hurricane very long.