Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Anybody in the northeast getting ready? Looks like NYC metro is going to take a pretty big hit. Got my flashlight batteries checked, my iPhone charged, a tank full of gas and a fridge full of beer. ;) Local news is saying we could have 10 days without power. Maybe I should get some more beer...

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Was there really not a thread on this arleady? I'm shocked. Anyway, I posted this Somewhere Else™, but here's the scoop near me:

The court I work at here in Queens, NY has been in contact with the local authorities and so forth all day. We're being told that we'll likely be closed Monday and Tuesday.

From all of the more official and/or authoratative chatter, we're going to get moderately pounded up here in New Jersey/New York.

My plan is: Leaving work today at 4:30, picking up my gf in New Jersey, driving us and her son up to Pennsylvania where my mother lives. We'll have some good old fashioned family time and wait it out.

These images show what's expected (as of right now) and where I and my gf live are not in good areas. We're both very close to the water. We'll be slightly (not not too much) better off in East Pennsylvania, but at least it'll be away from the surge and subsequent flood areas. We'll be up in the Poconos.

map_specnews06_ltst_4namus_enus_600x338.jpg

map_specnews10_ltst_4namus_enus_600x338.jpg

model-nyc-surge-440x297.jpg

Wish us and everyone up here the best. I just hope I come home to my new apartment in the condition I left it... :(

Edit: For anyone in the effected areas, please consider these links...
Evacuation information.

Being better prepared.

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
Hopefully this won't diminish any viewing time of the start of the US Open (tennis, that is) monday. :mad:

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Being in Boston, its been several years since we were struck by a major hurricane. It looks more and more like our luck may have run out.

I'm hoping and praying this bad boy veers to the east - out to sea, or veers west and then weakens dramatically while over land.

SDub90

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Long Island
I'm on long island. I'm prepared. Got everything off the floor in our basement in case that floods. I also live near one of the shelters.

On the bright side, if flooding gets really bad, I'll finally get to take the boat out this season.

I have no way of knowing how well our house will hold up. I know the stuff in our garage is going to get damaged (just had central air installed a few weeks ago, had to empty our attic, and we never put the stuff back).

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I'm making sure my iPhone, iPad, and iPod are fully charged come Sunday. Plenty of beer will be purchased tonight and tomorrow in preparation.

Everyone stay safe.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I have asked my folks to stay with us, but they are pretty confident that this will be like every other hurricane (and after 23 years they could be right). I feel more worried about them than us.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Weather.com says it'll pass the DC area without too much damage.

We'll most likely just get some above average winds, and rain.

No biggie.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Anybody in the northeast getting ready? Looks like NYC metro is going to take a pretty big hit. Got my flashlight batteries checked, my iPhone charged, a tank full of gas and a fridge full of beer. ;) Local news is saying we could have 10 days without power. Maybe I should get some more beer...
Hope you like hot beer.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I live in the Chelsea neighborhood in Manhattan. I've got extra food, water, radio, first aid kit, candles and after work I will be buying emergency vodka.

Does FEMA provide emergency cocktail ice during disasters?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I think it is kind of sad how people in NYC are so panic about this. It is going to be a Cat 1 by the time it gets there. That really is not that bad.

A Cat 1 is not considered a major storm at all. Most it will do is dump a fair amount of rain and that is it. The Media is really focusing way to much on the NYC part. NC is going to suffer more.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
I live in the Chelsea neighborhood in Manhattan. I've got extra food, water, radio, first aid kit, candles and after work I will be buying emergency vodka.

Does FEMA provide emergency cocktail ice during disasters?

Just like any other weekend in Chelsea....

I find it amazing that clients are now saying 'what can we do in advance of the hurricane for disaster recovery?' after not giving two hoots about it before :rolleyes:

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I think it is kind of sad how people in NYC are so panic about this. It is going to be a Cat 1 by the time it gets there. That really is not that bad.

A Cat 1 is not considered a major storm at all. Most it will do is dump a fair amount of rain and that is it. The Media is really focusing way to much on the NYC part. NC is going to suffer more.

I agree--it may even be a tropical storm by the time it reaches the city. One thing to keep in mind though is that we are not accustomed to *any* hurricane here -- not even weak wimpy ones. The city rarely experiences them and so I expect there will be a little more damage than more seasoned people down south.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I agree--it may even be a tropical storm by the time it reaches the city. One thing to keep in mind though is that we are not accustomed to *any* hurricane here -- not even weak wimpy ones. The city rarely experiences them and so I expect there will be a little more damage than more seasoned people down south.

Think of it as a very strong thunderstorm. I am pretty sure you all have been threw those. That is really all it is.

NYC will have very little damage is my guess.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
I have two weddings to go to this weekend - I am not even sure the Sunday one is going to go on. I feel super bad for the brides. :(

Hopefully Boston gets nothing but windy rain.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
Hope everyone stocks up on Food, Beer, Water and Ice ... lets hope for only rain and moderate wind. ... let damage be minimal.

Be safe folks

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
We've been getting the outer bands for a few hours now. Nothing too strong yet, but its still very early. Lots of rain and wind a-comin'! Be safe folks, hurricanes can be fun, but don't be stupid. They'll surprise you in a second.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Think of it as a very strong thunderstorm. I am pretty sure you all have been threw those. That is really all it is.

NYC will have very little damage is my guess.

Thanks but I think I'll heed the warnings of my elected officials in this case.

By the way, are you aware that we are expecting winds of 90 mph. We've also had almost 10 inches of rain in August and the ground is saturated. Perfect recipe for downed trees and power lines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.