Hurricane Katrina - Official Information

Discussion in 'Community' started by Doctor Q, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

This thread is for
    • Phone numbers, URLs, or other contact information for organizations that are helping with the relief efforts for Hurricane Katrina by sending food, supplies, and manpower, providing transportation, shelter, or other services, rescuing people and animals, and the many other ways help is being provided.
    • Phone numbers or URLs for government information related to Hurricane Katrina.
    We know that a number of MacRumors members have been affected by the storm. You can use this information if you want to get help, make a donation, find other ways to volunteer, arrange family contact for those affected, or find other ways to help the relief effort.

Please: In this thread, post only phone numbers, URLs, e-mail addresses, etc. for government agencies, well-known organizations, or organizations linked to from well-known sources such as major newspapers.

For general comments and discussion about the storm and its aftermath, to post links to news stories, or to post your personal stories, please click this link for the ongoing discussion thread:

2. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Adventist Community Services: 1-800-381-7171

America's Second Harvest: 1-800-344-8070

AmeriCares

The Baton Rouge Area Foundation

B'nai B'rith Disaster Relief Fund

Catholic Charities: 1-800-919-9338

Christian Disaster Response: 1-941-956-5183 or 1-941-551-9554

Christian Reformed World Relief Committee: 1-800-848-5818

Convoy of Hope: 1-417-823-8998

Church World Service: 1-800-297-1516

Episcopal Relief & Development: 1-800-334-7626

FEMA Charity tips

Louisiana Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

Lutheran Disaster Response: 1-800-638-3522

Mennonite Disaster Service: 1-717-859-2210

Missing Persons Forum

Missing Persons Photo Feed

National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster

Nazarene Disaster Response: 1-888-256-5886

The Network for Good

New Orleans Hurricane Fund

Operation Blessing: 1-800-436-6348

Presbyterian Disaster Assistance: 1-800-872-3283

Red Cross
    Red Cross hotline for donations (English): 800-HELP NOW (435-7669)
    Red Cross hotline for donations (Spanish): 800-257-7575
    Red Cross shelter information for Louisiana: 1-800-469-4828

Salvation Army

Southern Baptist Convention Disaster Relief: 800-462-8657, ext. 6440

United Methodist Committee on Relief: 1-800-554-8583

United Way

To search for other non-profits helping with the relief effort: GuideStar

To evaluate charitable organzations: Charity Navigator

3. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

4. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

The British Consulate in Houston is collecting details of any British people who may have been involved - 713-659 6270 (if dialling from UK 001-713-659-6270)

A UK based helpline has also been set up for worried relatives - 0207 008 0000

More information and links from the UK Government is on the UK Resilience Website

5. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    http://www.networkforgood.org/ has a page dedicated to Katrina, as well as being a clearinghouse for charitable organizations needing donations and volunteers.

6. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Will donate as soon as it becomes available for the Dutch iTMS.
    What a great way of doing things...... Gotta love Apple.

Makes us realize how easy it is for us over here in our mild climate. Yes, we complain about our cold boring sommers, and our warm boring winters, but we really should remember the fact that our "boring climate" in the north-west of Europe gives us safety we take for granted.

Hang on in there! We are thinking about you.

8. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Need a place to stay?

This isn't an "official organization," but I think it's the best place for me to post this. If the mods disagree, that's ok too. :)

I live in Largo, Florida (on the Gulf side of Tampa) and, having consulted my parents on what we can do to help in addition to donating money, would like to extend an invitation to any MR member who has been displaced by the storm to come stay at our house for as long as necessary. (Families, too!) It's not a mansion, but you'd have a nice-sized room and private bathroom, lots of air conditioning, all the yummy food you want, 3 dogs and 2 cats to entertain you, and a family who truly appreciates the trauma of hurricanes and the joy of Macs. :D And whatever other help we can provide, of course. We're within driving distance of three colleges (U. of South Florida, St. Petersburg College, and Eckerd College), so this might be good for a college student who doesn't want to forfeit the semester.

If you're interested, or know someone who might be, you can send a PM through here or email home.away.from.home@mac.com.

9. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Can we donate using our iTunes Gift Cards? If so, I'm going to donate $5. It's better than nothing. My whole family is donating $50 to the Red Cross. Katrina, we don't like you. Anyone heard that they're going to retire the name "Katrina" from the hurricane list?

10. scubabeano macrumors member

scubabeano

Charity Folks are raising money for Katrina victims by auctioning cool celeb related stuff. Money raised goes to the American Red Cross.

11. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....perhaps this is borderline but I thought I would post it here anyway - CDBaby (a distributor of independent music) has a page of cd's for sale by independent artists who have all agreed to send *all* profits from these sales to the Red Cross...over 5000 indie artists are participating and there are samples for you to hear of their music. There is stuff here for *everyone's* taste in music - I have bought many cd's from CDBaby and their service is superb and I have discovered music here I would probably never have heard. So here's your chance to get some new music, help the hurricane relief, and support independent music all at the same time....oh yeah!

12. silentrage macrumors member

Pet Assistance PETsMart is currently raising money through Petsmart Charities to aid in the hurricane Katrina disaster relief for the pets in need. To locate more information on Petsmart Charities, click on the link below:

http://www.petsmart.com/charities/index.shtml

13. iGav macrumors G3

Displaced Designer.

Displaced Designer

14. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Glad to see this thread, and thanks for including ERD . They have already sent fund to the Episcopal Diocese of Mississippi to assist in recovery efforts. I think they sent it Monday or Tuesday, which is an amazing pre-response.

If you can't tell, I'm an Episcopalian. This experience has been moving for many of us who have travelled our state doing youth events and other things hosted by these different Episcopal Churches. Six total church facilities were destroyed, and I had set foot in almost all of them. There's lots of clips from and the Weather Channel from Episcopal Churches who held services on their respective concrete foundations today. I was blessed to have been able to lead Morning Prayer at our small mission church today, as our priest was away on much needed vacation. It was a moving experience talking and praying about all of the victims across the gulf coast.

Ok thanks for letting me talk. I haven't been on MR in several days and was going through the over 400 threads I haven't seen in that time.

peace out

15. semicharmed macrumors regular

Tulane

Tulane
    This is the site for a relief organization affiliated with Tulane University in New Orleans.

16. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

17. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Another way to evaluate charitable organzations: The Better Business Bureau's Wise Giving Alliance.

And, if you are in my neighborhood, stop by the lemonade stand down the street, where two girls are raising money for victims 50 cents at a time.

18. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

If you live near San Diego, the San Diego Jewish Academy is gathering donations. Principal vowed to drive a U-Haul truck to Houston to deliver the stuff we gathered. Well, in 2 days we already have 2 semi-trailors full and a 3rd is a good possibility. Needless to say, he isn't driving those, but he is going along for the ride.

Drop off your stuff, we're glad to take anything. And double-extra bonus, you may see me! :p
    Linkety to main website, Linkety to the PDF they sent to everyone they knew.

Thanks everyone!

19. bonk macrumors member

20. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

21. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

22. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Cool update! We have 3 semi's full, a fourth one nearly full, and UPS donated a 767 to fly it all to Houston! For those that don't know, a 767 is a big jet, a widebody. Pretty cool! :D

23. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel